Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on October 14, 2021, 12:29:45 PM
The symphonies are already available as a download (3 different versions of 12 and 2 of 13 on youtube) but I will buy the Lyrita CD. I want to raise a glass to Jones as I listen to his music !  :D

Cheers, Andre! I don't use YouTube nearly as  much as I could...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

I've just listened to symphonies 12 and 13 on You Tube and was impressed by them both. I shall certainly be tracking down the new Lyrita CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

The disc was released yesterday. I'm listening to No. 13 on Spotify currently.

I live in Swansea, so during the before-times I would go to the library where they have an archive of past programmes of the music festival, including the premiere performance of this symphony and a few others. In fact, the bound volume of the early festival programmes from the 1940s/50s has an insert of handwritten sheets including analysis from the Symphony No. 1.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 06, 2021, 06:46:48 AM
The disc was released yesterday. I'm listening to No. 13 on Spotify currently.

I live in Swansea, so during the before-times I would go to the library where they have an archive of past programmes of the music festival, including the premiere performance of this symphony and a few others. In fact, the bound volume of the early festival programmes from the 1940s/50s has an insert of handwritten sheets including analysis from the Symphony No. 1.

Ooh  I've been watching for this recording, thank you. Can't wait to hear it after I've finished with my current selection of Gál #2. Jones is so worthwhile.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Cross-posted:

Just started listening on Spotify.

From Presto's website:
A fine example of Jones at his most succinct and incisive, the Twelfth Symphony (1985) was commissioned by the Civil and Public Services Association as a farewell gift to their retiring General Secretary, Ken Thomas The Twelfth Symphony was first performed by the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra and conductor Erich Bergel at a gala concert at St David's Hall, Cardiff on 26 September 1985. The score bears a superscription consisting of a brief quotation from Pushkin, which reads 'Yet one last tale, And my chronicle is ended'. Daniel Jones's Symphony in memory of John Fussell (Symphony No.13) (1992) was first performed by the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra and conductor Richard Hickox at the Brangwyn Hall, Swansea on 17 October 1992 at that year's Swansea Festival. The work is a personal tribute to a friend of the composer, who was Swansea's Director of Music and City Organist from 1970 until 1990, the year of his death. The cantata Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life (1987) was written in memory of John Aeron-Thomas, whose widow Margaret commissioned the work. A devout Christian, John Aeron-Thomas had been a founder-member of the Swansea Festival, who commissioned Jones's First Symphony. among other works. The text is taken from poetry by George Herbert (1593-1633), which details his sacred journey.