Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Hamilton/index.htm

Good article about Hamilton. The first two symphonies were written in 1949 and 1951 and are described as tonal and with influences from composers like Bax, Rubbra and Walton. I suspect that they may well be Hindemithian as well. The third and fourth followed 30 years later after Hamilton had made a belated attempt to return to tonal music in the hope that this might gain him more acceptance(it didn't!).

Fricker I like a lot! I have the 1st symphony on LP, the second on cd and Nos. 3-5 on tape(haha!) I fear that the cost of transferring several hundred tapes with probably approaching 1000 hours of music would bankrupt me :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Peter Racine Fricker on Unsung Composers:

Symphony No.1, Op.9 (1949)**

BBC SSO/ Martyn Brabbins (br. 19/10/1995)

Dance Scene, Op. 22 (1954)~
BBC NOW/ David Porcelijn (br. date unknown)

Symphony No.3, Op.36 (1960)**
BBC PO/ Barry Wordsworth (br. 22/11/1995)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 03, 2011, 03:35:54 PM
Peter Racine Fricker on Unsung Composers:

Symphony No.1, Op.9 (1949)**

BBC SSO/ Martyn Brabbins (br. 19/10/1995)

Dance Scene, Op. 22 (1954)~
BBC NOW/ David Porcelijn (br. date unknown)

Symphony No.3, Op.36 (1960)**
BBC PO/ Barry Wordsworth (br. 22/11/1995)

All very well, Johan but the site is refusing to let me join because it says I am getting the verification questions wrong!! Grieg did only write ONE piano concerto, didn't he?????

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
All very well, Johan but the site is refusing to let me join because it says I am getting the verification questions wrong!! Grieg did only write ONE piano concerto, didn't he? ??? ?

As far as I know - yes!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Hmmmmm!

I will try again tomorrow......written through clenched teeth of impatience ;D ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 03:41:21 PM
Hmmmmm!

I will try again tomorrow......written through clenched teeth of impatience ;D ;D ;D

If all else fails, I can give you the links (Albion won't mind).

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
All very well, Johan but the site is refusing to let me join because it says I am getting the verification questions wrong!! Grieg did only write ONE piano concerto, didn't he?????

Did you try the answer as a '1' or a 'one'? If you still have problems, let me know and I'll get on to the moderator to investigate.

For information, I've listed what is available in the British (and Irish) download section at UC on the UC thread.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

Griegs Piano Concerto by Eric Morecambe!
Did you get to 221B Baker Street with you're deerstalker and meerschaum pipe?
And by Hansom Cab? The fogs always atrocious.
Anna Karenina by Hamilton. I'm sure that's the one I heard on the radio. The ENO 1978. I would have been in my late teens then.

Albion

I think it was Bryden Thomson who broadcast a complete Daniel Jones symphony cycle on Radio 3 (minus the 13th, as the conductor passed away just before it was completed). Does anybody know if these were live or studio performances? Either way, it would be great if some enterprising company had the initiative to license them as a job lot from the BBC (as they clearly have no interest in them).

If some of the old cobblers that was issued on the 'BBC Legends' label can be mined from the archive, it should not be beyond the wit of man (or woman) to make far more valuable recordings like the Jones available (even streaming audio would be preferable to nothing).

::)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 04, 2011, 05:02:04 AMDid you get to 221B Baker Street with you're deerstalker and meerschaum pipe? And by Hansom Cab? The fogs always atrocious.

After a short skirmish with Moriarty, Watson and I spent an enjoyable evening playing Scrabble.

cilgwyn

Some of the reviews of BBC Legend cds have made you wonder why they bothered. Cd's of Giuilini and Barbirolli,for example. Below par performances which should have been,and would have been left in the 'vault' if the conductors,themselves,had been alive.
Still,maybe things MIGHT look up?!!!!!
Sorry,Albion. Johan was (trying to) watch Sherlock last night. I'm not going nuts,yet!

Albion

Cilgwyn, have you come across this recent disc of orchestral music by Arwel Hughes (1909-1988) -

BISCD1674

Anatiomaros (1943)
Prelude for Orchestra (1945)
Suite for Orchestra (1947)
Menna (1950-51, perf. 1954) - Prelude
Serch yw'r doctor (Love's the doctor) (perf. 1960) - Overture
Legend: Owain Glyndŵr (1979)

cilgwyn

I think I've spotted the cover,but I didn't pay that much attention,for some reason. But I think I will have to look into this one. I wonder if there are any reviews? Or,is this a pre-release? He's Owain Arwel Hughe's father,of course! Come to think of it,I seem to recall that Chandos released one of his choral works (?) some years ago. Apparently,he was a student of Vaughan Williams and Holst.
Hm? I wonder if Owain Arwel could be persuaded to record some Daniel Jones? I'd never thought of BIS. They're quality of their recordings is often quite spectacular. They would be ideal. And not forgetting Grace Williams,too!

Too early for reviews,I see. But HMV are offering it for £9.99,post free.
David Wynne's String Quartet No3 & Piano Sonata No 2 are on a Lyrita cd,coupled with a string quartet by Ian Parrott & a Piano Quintet by David Harries. But I think I will want to investigate Daniel Jones's string Quartets first. And of course,I spent this months budget on a French movie & a cd of Henry Cowell ('Dancing with Henry' Mode).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on September 03, 2011, 10:30:02 PM
Did you try the answer as a '1' or a 'one'? If you still have problems, let me know and I'll get on to the moderator to investigate.

For information, I've listed what is available in the British (and Irish) download section at UC on the UC thread.

I used "one" which was probably where I went wrong :-[

However, all is now sorted as I managed to register today :)  Have commented in the 'Unsung Composers' thread....in a state of ecstasy ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 04, 2011, 05:51:07 AM
I think I've spotted the cover,but I didn't pay that much attention,for some reason. But I think I will have to look into this one. I wonder if there are any reviews? Or,is this a pre-release? He's Owain Arwel Hughe's father,of course! Come to think of it,I seem to recall that Chandos released one of his choral works (?) some years ago. Apparently,he was a student of Vaughan Williams and Holst.
Hm? I wonder if Owain Arwel could be persuaded to record some Daniel Jones? I'd never thought of BIS. They're quality of their recordings is often quite spectacular. They would be ideal. And not forgetting Grace Williams,too!

Too early for reviews,I see. But HMV are offering it for £9.99,post free.
David Wynne's String Quartet No3 & Piano Sonata No 2 are on a Lyrita cd,coupled with a string quartet by Ian Parrott & a Piano Quintet by David Harries. But I think I will want to investigate Daniel Jones's string Quartets first. And of course,I spent this months budget on a French movie & a cd of Henry Cowell!!!

Good luck in persuading Robert von Bahr of BIS to record some Daniel Jones ;D What motivates that man to chose repertoire to record is one of the mysteries/secrets of the recording industry ;D ;D

It is an excellent idea though to instance Owain Arwel Hughes as a possible advocate. It was he who recorded the Holmboe symphonies and he did a superb job with them. And since Jones and Holmboe are similar types of composers he might well be interested :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 04, 2011, 06:46:05 AM
Regarding you're personal message,Johan. I can just see myself turning into a Pirate and a very angry looking Mr Itter hobbling up my lane with a demand for the price of a daniel Jones cd!

Shshshsh...  :o

cilgwyn

I just opened AND downloaded the booklet for the Daniel Jones String Quartets on Chandos using Foxit. Virtually instantaneous! Adobe kept me waiting for ages. Yet,every blinking site you can think of plugs Adobe. I wonder why,when there is something much better available? Anyone know? (More fool me for not knowing about it,of course. You need to look!).

cilgwyn

http://www.mediafire.com/?gwsteelf843vw#

Click me with you're computer mouse!
Click me! Click me! CLICK MEEEE!

Lethevich

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 04, 2011, 08:37:23 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?gwsteelf843vw#

Click me with you're computer mouse!
Click me! Click me! CLICK MEEEE!

Ooh, wonderful things hidden within ;D Thanks again, for all your links - now I only have to find time to listen to everything...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lilas Pastia

Well, thanks folks for some more Daniel Jones  :D.

I had no idea he had written all those symphonies. Only had the 2 Lyrita recordings to judge by - and wonderful they are !

Re, Jones' quartets: a grrrrrreat body of works, done proud in Chandos' splendid set. Enjoy !