Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Just to intimate that I now have a functioning reel-to-reel machine, that I have recovered all of my 266 tapes (bar two which, fortunately, contained music which was mostly available elsewhere in any case).

The sound quality of almost all of the tapes I have listened to so far is amazingly good-even through the tape machine's own speakers :) I hope to receive a din plug next week to allow me to connect my machine first to my amplifier and then to my pc.

So...progress :) The Daniel Jones may not now be too far away ;D

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 30, 2011, 03:15:11 PM
Just to intimate that I now have a functioning reel-to-reel machine, that I have recovered all of my 266 tapes (bar two which, fortunately, contained music which was mostly available elsewhere in any case).

The sound quality of almost all of the tapes I have listened to so far is amazingly good-even through the tape machine's own speakers :) I hope to receive a din plug next week to allow me to connect my machine first to my amplifier and then to my pc.

So...progress :) The Daniel Jones may not now be too far away ;D

News of the Week!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Definately.(the goings on in the Middle East excepted,of course). And a fully functioning reel to reel tape recorder in 2011. Amazing! There's hope yet!!!
Now where's my 16mm Film projector? :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 01, 2011, 04:01:18 AM
Definately.(the goings on in the Middle East excepted,of course). And a fully functioning reel to reel tape recorder in 2011. Amazing! There's hope yet!!!
Now where's my 16mm Film projector? :D

The irony...and quite an expensive irony too.....was that I bought a replacement Grundig TK14 machine via ebay for £40. When it arrived yesterday it would not work and, on closer examination of its inside, had two broken drive belts. I then sent off for a replacement drive belt kit...at another £20.

As a last throw of the dice...I swapped the power connector from this machine to my old machine...which then sprang back into life :o ;D ;D

Listened last night to Daniel Jones's short(19 minutes) Symphony No.10: BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra(Sir Charles Groves), 1981 recording. Powerful stuff and certainly acceptable(possibly even good) sound quality. Tonight: Jones Symphony No.3, followed by Arnold Cooke's Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5.

Oh...and the din plug has arrived today ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 01, 2011, 01:33:32 PM
Oh...and the din plug has arrived today ;D

To paraphrase Woody Allen: that final sentence could cause cardiac arrest in a yak.

The plot thickens...

You now have access to music that has lain dormant for decades!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

You're talking to someopne who still uses dolby cassettes to record so,rest assured,I AM impressed. Althiough,sadly,Nakamichi decks have never come my way! :(
Had a few pints at the local (although,they were pulling my leg about drinking too slowly!!! :o,so it's off to bed now!
I must try this Cooke fellow!
Glad you're tapes are play-able. Stored correctly,I DO think tape is a pretty durable medium.
Well.you've proved my point,Dundonnell,so enough said. Collectors owe people like you allot & the BBC.........maybe,if they could only understand the value of some of their archives.
God bless you,Daniel Jones wherever you are (if you ARE anywhere! : :o).

cilgwyn

Suprise! Suprise! R3 are broadcasting a Cantata by Daniel Jones, this week,although it's an archive recording,not a new performance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0159w88

Hope this link works. If not it's listed in the schedule for Tuesday.
(Have you got this one allready,Dundonnell!! ;D )

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 02, 2011, 02:32:44 PM
Suprise! Suprise! R3 are broadcasting a Cantata by Daniel Jones, this week,although it's an archive recording,not a new performance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0159w88

Hope this link works. If not it's listed in the schedule for Tuesday.

I hope that you or someone can record the Jones Cantata :)

It is a bit rich for the BBC link to say "a composer who deserves wider recognition". Ok, then BBC do something about it!! ;D

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 02, 2011, 02:37:44 PM
I hope that you or someone can record the Jones Cantata :)

No doubt others will also be recording, but you'll certainly find a copy shortly afterwards over at the usual place.

;)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

Indeed. Talk about hypocrites! They have the resources to do something about it. Yet,as far as I can make out,about the only Daniel Jones that gets broadcast,is his 'Dance Fantasy'. Scandalous really,that a composer of such importance to Wales,should be so neglected in his own country & by our supposed,'National orchestra'! Still,I thought I would mention it.

Dundonnell

Like re-broadcasting the complete symphonies cycle they did......assuming they haven't wiped the tapes, of course :-X

(I know that Rob Barnett on Musicweb has the complete cycle on tape because he has said so more than once.....frustratingly :()

cilgwyn

Lucky man. A bit like waving the proverbial carrot at the old donkey,though!
Hang on though,I've just realised,Daniel Jones was born in 1912!!! A Centenary year,some times helps! Maybe,next year? Hope,maybe?!!!Surely,they can't ignore a centenary year? (Although,I wouldn't put it past them!)

Dundonnell

Rob Barnett keeps on doing this in his reviews on Musicweb. He must have the most amazing archive of taped performances :o

Why don't you send the BBC Wales Music Department an email asking them how they intend to celebrate the centenary? ;D

cilgwyn

A little bit more Daniel Jones coming up in January 2012,but not much!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/791
(Hope my link works.If not see BBC NOW Jan 2012 schedule!)

Dominy Clements (Musicweb) said he looked like George Smiley! ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 03, 2011, 04:07:14 AM
A little bit more Daniel Jones coming up in January 2012,but not much!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/orchestras/events/791
(Hope my link works.If not see BBC NOW Jan 2012 schedule!)

Dominy Clements (Musicweb) said he looked like George Smiley! ;D

Hopefully, you will have 'Cloud Messenger' before then anyway :)

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 02, 2011, 03:25:14 PM
Rob Barnett keeps on doing this in his reviews on Musicweb. He must have the most amazing archive of taped performances :o

You are our very own Scottish Rob Barnett.

cilgwyn

The Cantata was duly recorded. A far more substantial work than I expected (the listing didn't tell you much). What a wonderful composer.

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 04, 2011, 02:56:17 PM
The Cantata was duly recorded. A far more substantial work than I expected (the listing didn't tell you much). What a wonderful composer.

It is now available for download on 'Unsung Composers' :)