Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Here are some useful listening notes about this substantial piece from the BBC Radio 3 website -

DANIEL JONES - COME MY WAY, MY TRUTH, MY LIFE

In Memory of John Aeron-Thomas

This work was commissioned by Mrs. Margaret Aeron-Thomas. The text is by George Herbert (1593-1633).

George Herbert was born in Montgomery Castle, the sea of a noble family; younger brother of a famous diplomat and philosopher, and with an exceptionally brilliant academic career behind him, he seemed certain of rapid advancement at court but, after some years, he suddenly chose to be ordained and became Vicar of Bemerton, a small village near Salisbury. This renunciation of worldly 'success' could hardly have been the result of simple frustrated ambition.

No doubt Herbert felt a growing disappointment, not with the failure of his career, but with life at court. At the same time there took place within him a significant process of change, a conflict that resolved itself finally into the certain conviction that he was called to the priesthood. As with some of the most deeply devout, his belief was strengthened by the struggles that shaped it. Herbert never concealed the hardships of the 'Way', he displayed them side by side with proclamations of joy in his only sacred publication, The Temple. Indeed, he himself called this book "a picture of the many spiritual conflicts that have passed between God and my soul, before I could subject mine to the will of Jesus my Master, in whose service I have now found perfect freedom."

The seven movements of the Cantata are arranged to follow the spiritual progress of George Herbert's belief.

1) The Call. This movement is introductory. The outstanding characteristic of Herbert's belief was its tenderness; the love of Christ is constantly emphasized in his poetry.

2) Choler. Here Herbert angrily rejects his belief and rebels against its retraining power. In the middle section he laments his loss of freedom and regrets his renunciation of courtly pleasures; these include literary fame ('Have I no bays to crown it?"). His anger rises again but, at the end, one word of Christ recalls him.

(3) Antiphon (i). A hymn of praise, more tender than exultant. Once again, the word 'love' is underlined; 'Praise be the God of Love'.

(4) Fantasia: 'Whither, O whither art thou fled??' This is the first line of a poem in which Herbert falls to the nadir of his spiritual life; he searches but God is nowhere to be found. His despair is more terrible than the anger of the rebel (in no. 2), who at least acknowledges the presence from which he flees. The movement is for orchestra only, but its main theme could be sung to the first words of the poem. To this is added a pattern of chords already heard in the middle section of No.2; it recurs not inappropriately, because at that point in No.2 the poet refers to his godless past.

(5) The Echo. Herbert plays the part of an innocent, learning by question and answer. It appears that the source of the answers is natural, an echo, repeating the last word or syllable of the question. Only at the end the truth is revealed; the music of the answer here is very slightly different from the music at the end of the question.

(6) Dialogue. Christian defies Death, and Death replies with menaces, Christian consigns Death to nothingness, and Death is annihilated with a final casual chord.

(7) Antiphon (ii). An exultant hymn of praise; Herbert invites the world to share his joy.

The structure of the Cantata is, broadly, a pattern of two groups of three movements on each side of a central movement, and to some extent the members of these groups correspond, 1 with 5, 2 with 6, 3 with 7. The orthodox arrangement of chorus and orchestra is limited to two movements (1 and 2). The first Antiphon (no.3) is for double chorus and orchestra, the sections alternating until they come to a final unison; the second (No.7) contrasts the women's section with the men's but with a refrain in which all join. No.4 is for orchestra only, No. 5 for chorus only, with a detached choral section "offstage". No. 6 is for tenor solo, chorus and orchestra. The device of reference to music previously heard is not much used. In No. 4 there is a chordal pattern from No. 2, and in No. 6 between the tenor's "Do they worst" and "I shall be one day better than before" the first five bars of the Cantata are played again by the orchestra. In No.7, sopranos and altos sing "But above all, the heart must bear the greatest part" to the main theme of the first movement.

The work is written in memory of John Aeron-Thomas. He was a true Christian, and can be imagined joining himself in this music, and in the person of a Christian defying and dismissing Death.

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dundonnell

Dundonnell

You just might be interested to hear that a member of another forum ;D has just revealed that he has all 13 of the Jones symphonies on tape and will be uploading Nos. 1, 5, 11 and the unnumbered 13th over the weekend :) :) :)

Since Nos. 2 and 12 are already on that forum and I have Nos. 3 and 10 for uploading soon-ish that will make up the complete set :)

We are living in an Age of Wonders

Lethevich

Who even needs labels to record this stuff anymore? Just dig around in our attics and I'm sure anything we might want will turn up ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 06, 2011, 09:34:26 AM
You just might be interested to hear that a member of another forum ;D has just revealed that he has all 13 of the Jones symphonies on tape and will be uploading Nos. 1, 5, 11 and the unnumbered 13th over the weekend :) :) :)

Since Nos. 2 and 12 are already on that forum and I have Nos. 3 and 10 for uploading soon-ish that will make up the complete set :)

We are living in an Age of Wonders

In terms of potential interest, somebody with the nom-de-forum that begins with a 'c' and ends with an 'n' springs to mind!

:o
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on October 06, 2011, 09:53:23 AM
In terms of potential interest, somebody with the nom-de-forum that begins with a 'c' and ends with an 'n' springs to mind!

Indeed! Just saw it on UC. Terrific news!!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on October 06, 2011, 09:39:03 AM
Who even needs labels to record this stuff anymore? Just dig around in our attics and I'm sure anything we might want will turn up ;D

:D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

In that case...can I have the Cooke 2nd and 6th symphonies, the Hamilton 1st, 3rd and 4th, the Hoddinott 1st, 4th, 8th and 9th, the McCabe 5th, 6th and 7th please ;D ;D

....and the Violin Concertos by Fricker(2nd), Hamilton(2nd), Hoddinott(1st), Gordon Jacob, Leighton, Mathias and McCabe (No.1)

....and the Piano Concertos by Arnold Cooke, McCabe(3rd) and Searles(Nos. 1 and 2).

Any time soon will do ;D ;D

cilgwyn

Who knows,I might find a matching boot! :(
Hopefully,my high gain fm stereo radio aerial will join the tv boosters,rafters & grime before long. Actually,come to think of it,I have got some nice,rare,banned incandescent bulbs up there! ;D
But no Dan Jones!

cilgwyn

Anyone got the complete Radio 3 broadcast of Holst's 'The Perfect Fool' opera, up there? It could be behind the Water Cistern,somewhere.
Can't believe you haven't got tapes of those,Dundonnell. As Private Eye would say,"Shome mistake,ed!"

Dundonnell

Perhaps you have heard already but in another place you can now obtain downloads of the following Daniel Jones works:

Symphony No.1
Symphony No.5
Symphony No.11
Symphony "No.13"
Sinfonietta No.1
Overture "Ieunectid"

That is in addition to the Symphonies Nos. 2 and 12 and the Cello Concerto which were already there.

When Symphonies Nos. 3 and 10 join them that will make the complete set :) :)

This has been a GREAT DAY :) :)

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 07, 2011, 05:21:16 PMWhen Symphonies Nos. 3 and 10 join them that will make the complete set :) :)

To clarify, for those new to this composer: in order to achieve a 'full house' you will also need these two excellent Lyrita discs -

LYRITA SRCD329 & SRCD326

;D

Dundonnell

Symphonies Nos. 3 and 10, together with the Violin Concerto, Tone Poem "Cloud Messenger" and Choral Suite "Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard" will be available for download at
'Unsung Composers' within the next twenty-four hours :)

So too is David Morgan's Sinfonia da Requiem :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: Albion on October 06, 2011, 09:53:23 AM

I'm glad that nom-de-forum,you spelt out, ended with the letter 'n'. You had me worried for a moment! :o

Mountain Goat

Daniel Jones' cello concerto will be performed in St Asaph Cathedral on 29 Sep by Paul Watkins and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales - hopefully it will be broadcast on Radio 3!

http://www.nwimf.com/whats_on/artists2012.html?tpm=1_12

cilgwyn

Good news! :) A marvellous composer! His neglect here,in his own native country,is truly shocking! :o So,it's wonderful to see something being put on. But why no symphonies? Unless,I've missed something (I will google around later!)
I see that the Irish have been releasing allot of their own native composers on the RTE Lyric FM label. I rather hoped that a devolved government,here in Wales, might be interested in funding,or promoting, some kind of initiative in this area. Of course,there all sorts of more important issues like housing & health,but I did hope............ :(

Mountain Goat

Shocking indeed, I'd hoped for a bit more considering it's his centenary!

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 27, 2012, 11:07:01 AMI rather hoped that a devolved government,here in Wales, might be interested in funding,or promoting, some kind of initiative in this area. Of course,there all sorts of more important issues like housing & health,but I did hope............ :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on 29-10-2011, 14:12:19
I'm glad that nom-de-forum,you spelt out, ended with the letter 'n'. You had me worried for a moment! :o

In some dialects the t is dropped.

cilgwyn

Incidentally,off topic,I know,but I am now a member of the 'Art Music Forum'! :) (I just 'bumped into' Dundonnell there,a little while ago!)