A new studio opera recording from EMI

Started by Tsaraslondon, January 17, 2009, 03:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhar26

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 06, 2009, 07:04:30 PMI used to have the second Freni recording (DG, Sinopoli) and despite an overparted Carreras, it remains the most enthralling, sheerly emotional recreation of the score I have heard.
I'm glad you mention that one because nobody else ever does and it's a big fave of mine. I also have the Tebaldi/Bergonzi and the Callas/Karajan recordings and love both. I would love it if there was a good DVD. I don't mean a movie but a live performance. There's one with Anna Moffo from 1956, but it's pretty expensive and in all likelihood technically limited (black & white, mono, etc...). Does anyone know if Scotto's Butterfly was ever filmed?
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Superhorn

I recently took a look at the EMI website, and there is also a new"LElisir D'Amore" studio recording coming out with Gheorghiu and I beleive Alagna soon.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Superhorn on March 07, 2009, 05:40:24 AM
   I recently took a look at the EMI website, and there is also a new"LElisir D'Amore" studio recording coming out with Gheorghiu and I beleive Alagna soon.

Isn't there already a Decca recording with Gheorghiu and Alagaga? On DVD too if memory serves me rightly.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Wendell_E

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 07, 2009, 07:54:12 AM
Isn't there already a Decca recording with Gheorghiu and Alagaga? On DVD too if memory serves me rightly.

Yes, I've got it on DVD. 

I looked around the EMI website, and did find a new recording of Elisir, but it's a Virgin recording, with Rolando Villazón and Maria Bayo in the leads.  It may be a live recording, since the same performers did it at the Liceu in 2005.  Since the stage director, Mario Gas, is listed, I'm thinking it's probably a DVD:

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasedetails.php?rid=48396

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain