Ludwig van Beethoven

Started by Brünnhilde forever, January 18, 2009, 10:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

Didn't believe it, but there is no subject on Beethoven in general!

All kinds of goings on in Germany and their news Deutsche Welle has all kinds of interesting articles to read - yes, in English!

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,12257,00.html

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on January 18, 2009, 10:43:50 AM
Didn't believe it, but there is no subject on Beethoven in general!

That's because you're talking about a composer who is new to everyone - Ludwig von Beethoven. There's this other guy, Ludwig van Beethoven - maybe you've heard of him?  ;)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brünnhilde forever

Thank you, Sir! Now could you maybe contribute something more substantive to the subject in general and the articles on Deutsche Welle in particular? Like maybe your opinion on the Kurt Masur article? Or did you only look at the pictures?

aquablob

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aquariuswb on January 18, 2009, 11:10:27 AM
Beethoven sucks.

Obviously a troll... :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique / Gardiner - Bia 429 Op 60 Symphony #4 in Bb 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro vivace
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on January 18, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
Thank you, Sir! Now could you maybe contribute something more substantive to the subject in general and the articles on Deutsche Welle in particular? Like maybe your opinion on the Kurt Masur article? Or did you only look at the pictures?

I enjoyed the Masur interview. It substantiated my belief that conductors have to know something more than the notes in front of them to get the meaning of the music out there. I'm afraid that the great bulk of performances that we hear are doomed to failure right from the start because the empathy between composer and conductor is not deemed important enough to follow through with. There seems to be (or to have been for a long period) a phase we passed through where the conductor was all, and for some reason, the idea of interpreting the composer, of channeling his ideas, was not deemed necessary, in fact it was thought to be wrong. But that is wrongheaded, and I think now we are back to a point where we are looking at original scores and actually trying to do what the composer wanted done. This is not just true with Beethoven, but since his music was the most prostituted of all, it shows greater results with his music.

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique / Gardiner - Bia 429 Op 60 Symphony #4 in Bb 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro vivace
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Haffner

Quote from: aquariuswb on January 18, 2009, 11:10:27 AM
Beethoven sucks.

Yeah boyyy! Bust a move on that 50-Cent tip, P-yyyyimp!

snyprrr

Quote from: AndyD. on January 18, 2009, 03:01:19 PM

Yeah boyyy! Bust a move on that 50-Cent tip, P-yyyyimp!

This is the state of the art of the LvB thread on GMG? Crunky! ;D

snyprrr

btw- I am trying to get as many as possible to vote in the LvB Op.18 poll in the "Recordings" page. Gracie.

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 18, 2009, 02:31:49 PM
----------------
Listening to:

Heard part of a hopelessly leaden "big-band" recording of this, one of my very favorite Beethoven symphonies (!!), on WCRB.  Had to change the radio dial even before the first movement was done;  couldn't bear it.  I should find out who the culprits were, though . . . .

karlhenning

Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/Otto Klemperer

Faugh!

not edward

I think some of Beethoven's symphonies can withstand--or possibly even benefit from--that sort of treatment, but not the 4th (or the 8th, to name another of my favourites).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Valentino

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2009, 10:11:56 AM
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/Otto Klemperer

Faugh!

That was Klemperer. Otto, on the other hand, would have made it pretty damn right.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

karlhenning

Brian

Quote from: Valentino on June 08, 2009, 11:11:29 AM
That was Klemperer. Otto, on the other hand, would have made it pretty damn right.

Valentino

One should restrict oneself to one bottle of wine per meal.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma