The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 11, 2024, 08:08:44 PMClassical music to continue at rail stations

Rail firm Northern has said it will continue to play classical music at 35 stations to combat bad behaviour.
Works "inspired by Handel, Beethoven and Mozart" are piped out over public address systems at certain times.
The music was rolled out to more than 20 additional places last April following a pilot scheme at nine sites.
Northern said it had led to a "reduction" in reports of large groups loitering at its stations in the North West and North East of England.

BBC News

Perhaps what these roaming groups of yoof don't like is the ahistorical use of oversized orchestras, modern instruments and ponderous tempos.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

This made me upset when I saw what the people were doing in (to) this national park.  I hope that they catch them!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68822318

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 06:38:05 AMThis made me upset when I saw what the people were doing in (to) this national park.  I hope that they catch them!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68822318

PD

Rocks don't have rights.

The actions were misdemeanors on their face, so while the police and feds should spend a little time looking for the perps, it should be measured in minutes, not hours, let alone days or weeks or months.  The statement in the linked article that this action could be a felony demonstrates a perverse criminal prosecutorial mindset.  Something similar happened in Oregon a while back when vandals (not to be confused with Vandals) toppled Duckbill rock.  The hooligans were not caught and the statute of limitations ran out. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya