What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Quote from: Fëanor on January 11, 2022, 11:40:17 AM
Is anyone here using Dirac Live or similar room correction DSP software or devices?  What is your experience?

I am very likely to spring for a miniDSP SHD Studio device that comes with the Dirac Live software.  It can run Dirac Live stand-alone once Dirac has be setup and using computer.  The SHD Studio, SHD, and SHD Power from miniuDSP all do streaming via Volumio and are "Roon-ready".

The SHD Studio has only digital outputs whereas the SHD accepts an analogy input, (i.e. does ADC), and has balance and single-end analog outputs.  The Studio will be fine for me because I have a good DAC and from there will feed my tube preamplifier.

I have never heard Dirac or MiniDSP but after hearing speakers that used DSP for crossovers I'm now convinced this is the way I have to go for my next set of speakers, thinking Kii Three + BXT in several living rooms that I don't want massively imposing speakers in.

They just sound stunning when they can do things like cardioid bass where the sound of the room gets removed from the equation. And I say this as someone whose favorite speakers of all time are Quad ESL57 currently being used with a valve amp :)

Spotted Horses

I was thinking of getting a FiiO K5 DAC/Headphone amp, which has headphone output as well as RCA line level outputs so it can also be used to send signal to an audio amplifier (or powered speakers, etc). It uses an external power supply (rather than depending on USB power). I'm expecting to use it mainly for streaming audio from my Mac over USB (although the optical and coax digital inputs might come in handy). I will mainly use it to drive my Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. It costs about $200.

Can anyone suggest something at a similar price point that they believe is better.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 06, 2022, 08:14:10 PM
I was thinking of getting a FiiO K5 DAC/Headphone amp, which has headphone output as well as RCA line level outputs so it can also be used to send signal to an audio amplifier (or powered speakers, etc). It uses an external power supply (rather than depending on USB power). I'm expecting to use it mainly for streaming audio from my Mac over USB (although the optical and coax digital inputs might come in handy). I will mainly use it to drive my Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. It costs about $200.

Can anyone suggest something at a similar price point that they believe is better.

I own this exact FiiO headphone amplifier and have no problems with it. Fidelity is excellent. What's nice is the three gain stages on the front of the unit, so if you have a pair of headphones that need to be driven a bit hard, you can do it with ease but also no noise, which is always a good thing. I think you'll be satisfied with it.

Valentino

Quote from: hvbias on January 13, 2022, 04:01:28 PMI have never heard Dirac or MiniDSP but after hearing speakers that used DSP for crossovers I'm now convinced this is the way I have to go for my next set of speakers, thinking Kii Three + BXT in several living rooms that I don't want massively imposing speakers in.
I suggest you also look to Norwegian https://www.sigbergaudio.no/ for a purpose like that. Smart speakers.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 06, 2022, 08:32:23 PM
I own this exact FiiO headphone amplifier and have no problems with it. Fidelity is excellent. What's nice is the three gain stages on the front of the unit, so if you have a pair of headphones that need to be driven a bit hard, you can do it with ease but also no noise, which is always a good thing. I think you'll be satisfied with it.

A ringing endorsement, thanks!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Daverz

Fëanor

Quote from: Daverz on February 11, 2022, 02:35:19 PM
Amir has reviewed the MiniDSP Flex:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/

Yes, he has and with ringing endorsement.

I haven't moved yet but I want Dirac Live room correction.  However I think my choice will be the miniDSP SHD Studio.

In favour of the Flex versus SHD Studio:

• Cheaper
  • Provides an analog input
  • Has internal DACs to drive amps directly[/i]
In favour of the SHD Studio:

• Includes a Dirac Live license;  (Add US$200 in case of Flex)
  • Provides Volumio streaming
  • Lets you use a DAC of you choice: (Flex's is good but not SOTA)
  • If you what balanced connectors, it has XLR connectors, (the Flex has less convenient TRS)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on February 11, 2022, 02:35:19 PM
Amir has reviewed the MiniDSP Flex:

I'm not sure what that thing does.

Besides the FiiO K5, the Schiit Asgard with delta-sigma DAC module.

There's also the option of separate DAC and headphone amps, the Schiit Magni + Schiit Modi.

Daverz

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 12, 2022, 04:32:50 AM

It provides 4 DAC channels with DSP (there's also an ADC for analog input).  So you can do things like bass management with 1 or 2 subwoofers with low-pass filters for the subs and high-pass filters for the main speakers.  Or you could implement a completely digital crossover for a pair of 2-way speakers.  On top of that you can do room EQ.

staxomega

Quote from: Valentino on February 07, 2022, 01:27:34 AM
I suggest you also look to Norwegian https://www.sigbergaudio.no/ for a purpose like that. Smart speakers.

I was mostly interested in Kii 3 and D&D 8c since there are many independent measurements out there that show them as near unimpeachable. And have an online friend that swears by the D&D after selling off ~$100k Magico system. I'm more drawn to the Kii for lower distortion in the bass and BXT allowing cardioid frequency to be extended lower for less room interference, but my wife and I both like the look of the D&D 8c more. First world problems  :laugh:

DavidW

I've moved my stereo out of my "stereo room" so that I may convert the room into a guest bedroom.  Now that it is in the significantly larger living room, it is truly amazing how my speakers sing in that larger space!

Holden

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 12, 2022, 04:32:50 AM

Besides the FiiO K5, the Schiit Asgard with delta-sigma DAC module.

There's also the option of separate DAC and headphone amps, the Schiit Magni + Schiit Modi.

I recently got the Asgard 3 and decided to pair it up with the Schiit Modi 3+. It sounds great.
Cheers

Holden

DavidW

I've been using my dac in preamp mode (so it just uses digital attenuation), but I just bought the Schitt Freya S.  I really couldn't believe how much improved the SQ is.  Smooth, articulate, full.  It is all there.  I started with Aho's Trombone Concerto and the sharp, shrill edge on the trombone is gone.  It sounded musical and full.  I moved on to my other challenge the Fischer Mahler 9 and it sounded expressive in a way that it didn't before.  I was also shocked how layered the sound was.  All the different parts of the orchestra were in their own space.

Fëanor

Quote from: DavidW on May 09, 2022, 04:50:37 PM
I've been using my dac in preamp mode (so it just uses digital attenuation), but I just bought the Schitt Freya S.  I really couldn't believe how much improved the SQ is.  Smooth, articulate, full.  It is all there.  I started with Aho's Trombone Concerto and the sharp, shrill edge on the trombone is gone.  It sounded musical and full.  I moved on to my other challenge the Fischer Mahler 9 and it sounded expressive in a way that it didn't before.  I was also shocked how layered the sound was.  All the different parts of the orchestra were in their own space.

It seems to me that the Schiit Freya S, (solid state), preamp is an excellent, high-value choice.  Objective reviews for the component such as at Audio Science Review indicate that it has very low distortion & noise.  Distortion, what little there is, is entirely 2nd & 3rd order harmonics which are the most benign variety.  Accordingly one would expect a very clean, transparent, and dynamic sound.

For a while I owned the Freya +, (tube version).  Quibbles I have with either version are the near impossibility of seeing the volume setting from across the room, and the cheesy membrane-type keys on the remote.  A balance control would be nice too.

What downstream power amp are you using with the Freya S?

DavidW

Yeah the remote is not the best.  They labeled the gain button by the symbol you would see in a circuit diagram.  I think they could just use English.  I also don't like that the power switch is on the back.  But other than it is great.  I really needed gain on that digital signal.

I'm using an NAD power amp.  I don't remember the model but it got a glowing review from ASR as one of the best performing options under $1k.

Rinaldo

DavidW

I'll have to watch it.  Seeing the thumbnail I like the use of paintings at the first reflection points and the curtain behind the speakers.  A lot of people use bass traps and panels so that their room looks like a studio instead of a living room!

Todd

Quote from: Rinaldo on May 16, 2022, 12:41:49 AM
Now that's what I call dedication:

One Man's Dream - Ken Fritz Documentary about the world's best stereo system

Fun, but some component selections seem out of context in such a system.  He uses an Oppo as his CD transport.  They're great, I use three Oppos, but Oppo no longer produces audio gear, and it's comparatively low rent.  His DAC seems kind of budget oriented in that system, too.  Some other die hard vinyl fans go for exotic ladder DACs like TotalDac, or maybe the top end dCS.  His choice of sub drivers seems conservatively limited at 15" rather than some of the bigger drivers (eg, 18 inch or 21 inch from companies like B&C Speakers) with even lower fs.  But I love the fact that he went with active crossovers.  In that kind of system, one may actually be able to achieve the practical music reproduction limit of 21 bits, but of course the guy prefers analog.  I'd love to hear the system.

Whether it's the best system, or even the most obsessive, is up for debate.  Some horn aficionados go bonkers with their speakers.  One instance is below.  I can't find the pics now, but there is a guy in California who has horn drivers that extend 20-30 feet outside of his house, and one guy in Japan whose room is the bass horn.  These giant speakers can be driven by SETs, which some people swear by - and not just for headphones.  Also, in Japan, some audiophiles have taken to having their own, separate stereo-specific transformers installed by the power company.  That's dedication.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Rinaldo on May 16, 2022, 12:41:49 AM
Now that's what I call dedication:

One Man's Dream - Ken Fritz Documentary about the world's best stereo system

So I really liked this.  By tackling the room first and foremost it might actually be the best sounding system even if there are some that might be more expensive.  Some things though:

As Todd pointed out digital is an afterthought.  This is clearly a vinyl guy.  His turntable probably costs on par with a house, but he is using an Oppo player and no streamer nor nad (unless I missed it).

Please don't show off a million dollar stereo by pouring a glass of bargain white wine at room temp!