What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

I have an SME 309 on my Michell Gyro.  I got it used from Audiogon back when that was still a pretty good site for used gear.  It's an excellent arm, except that setting vertical tracking angle and azimuth are a bit tricky. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2022, 10:45:59 AMSorry, not following you.  :-[

PD

SME had a popular tonearm called the 3009.  Quite a different beasty from the 309.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on December 01, 2022, 10:50:45 AMSME had a popular tonearm called the 3009.  Quite a different beasty from the 309.
Ah, thanks!  So, I suspect that the 309 is much better then.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

There were many 3009's: Series I, Series II, Series II Improved, S2 Improved, and R. Also some were available as 3012, 12" long.

The 309 is better, at least better than the 3009 Series II Improved it replaced on my 'table. I actually found setting azimuth not so difficult with a small libelle since the top of the headshell is completely flat.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Daverz

Quote from: Valentino on December 04, 2022, 09:22:37 PMThere were many 3009's: Series I, Series II, Series II Improved, S2 Improved, and R. Also some were available as 3012, 12" long.

The 309 is better, at least better than the 3009 Series II Improved it replaced on my 'table. I actually found setting azimuth not so difficult with a small libelle since the top of the headshell is completely flat.

That doesn't guarantee, given manufacturing tolerances, that the stylus actually has the right azimuth. 

Irons

Higher up the SME chain with IV & V there is no mechanical means of adjusting azimuth. The popular Rega tonearms also dispenses with azimuth adjustment. Both preferring a more rigid design.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

It's a give and take. The 309/312 design may be more rigid than the classic SME/JIS/Ortofon but the latter is possible to make so rigid that it's the design of the actual headshell that matters. Anyway the 309/312 was an answer to those who did not like the departure from replacable head shells of the 3009/12 line (or the replaceable arm wands of the Series III) of the Series V and IV.
How to adjust azimuth is a minefield. Alex Korf has nice primer on it. Read the comments too:
http://korfaudio.com/blog36
http://korfaudio.com/blog37
http://korfaudio.com/blog38

I  use cartridges that are not exotic and make the headshell flat and leave it, just like on an IV, V or a Rega for that matter*. The Rega flatness depends and their headshells ring pretty loud.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Fëanor

Quote from: Klavierman on November 30, 2022, 07:46:32 AMThis is my system:

Speakers:
Magico S5 MkII

Amplification:
Pass Labs XP-22 preamp
Pass Labs X250.8 power amp
Pass Labs XP-17 phono stage

Sources:
Oracle Delphi MkVI turntable/SME 309 tonearm
Koetsu Rosewood Signature phono cartridge
Esoteric K01XD CD/SACD/DAC

Misc:
Focal Utopia headphones
Woo Audio WA2 headphone amp

Thanks for sharing.  Yours seems to be a well chosen system, and certainly high end by any esteem.

Do you play computer files from a device of your own, and/or do you stream from any Internet sources?

Klavierman

Quote from: Fëanor on December 05, 2022, 03:26:27 AMThanks for sharing.  Yours seems to be a well chosen system, and certainly high end by any esteem.

Do you play computer files from a device of your own, and/or do you stream from any Internet sources?

Thank you. I play files from a Macbook Pro laptop, and I stream from Qobuz.

Bachtoven

Oh my...I received my new (to me...they are too pricey new, and not exactly cheap gently used!) Focal Stellia headphones today. Wow...they are incredibly clear and detailed. If it's on the recording, you'll hear it.

Todd

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 11, 2022, 01:20:48 PMOh my...I received my new (to me...they are too pricey new, and not exactly cheap gently used!) Focal Stellia headphones today. Wow...they are incredibly clear and detailed. If it's on the recording, you'll hear it.

These appear to maintain an almost identical drop at around 4 KHz as the Elears and they cost three times as much.  The rise at 8 KHz appears slightly less severe.  There are things on orchestral recordings you may not hear due to the frequency response. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bachtoven

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2022, 02:09:16 PMThese appear to maintain an almost identical drop at around 4 KHz as the Elears and they cost three times as much.  The rise at 8 KHz appears slightly less severe.  There are things on orchestral recordings you may not hear due to the frequency response. 
On the contrary, I'm hearing things I've never heard before. I tend to listen to music rather than look at graphs.

Todd

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 11, 2022, 03:51:23 PMOn the contrary, I'm hearing things I've never heard before. I tend to listen to music rather than look at graphs.

Actual measurements show you what you can hear with headphones.  You don't have the whole "room interaction" bit to fall back on, as audiophile true believers typically do.  If you are hearing things you have never heard before, it is due to the distorted sound of the headphones and the faulty emphasis on certain frequencies.  I own the Elears and know their strengths and weaknesses, and that is why they collect dust.  I have no doubt that Focal refined their approach to headphones since releasing the Elear, but I also have no doubt that the headphones share the same sonic signature given the measurements.

Fëanor

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 11, 2022, 01:20:48 PMOh my...I received my new (to me...they are too pricey new, and not exactly cheap gently used!) Focal Stellia headphones today. Wow...they are incredibly clear and detailed. If it's on the recording, you'll hear it.

Without prejudice I'm just going to refer to ASR's review of the Focal Sellia
The RTINGS.com Stellia review is also not so stellar  ;D

Note that the frequency response criterion used a ASR is the emerged standard "Harmon Curve".  Based on the ASR review, the Stellia like it has highish distortion in the 300 to 1100 range.  Personally I feel that distortion is generally bad for good detail and transparency.

From what I understand, binaural recordings are best for headphones.  In any case I really don't enjoy headphone listening so my Audio Technica phones don't get much use.

Todd

Quote from: Fëanor on December 13, 2022, 04:35:15 AMNote that the frequency response criterion used a ASR is the emerged standard "Harmon Curve".

That is not a standard.  There is no standard.

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on December 13, 2022, 05:10:36 AMThat {Harman Curve} is not a standard.  There is no standard.

Not to quibble over the use of "standard", the Harmon Curve is frequently cited as ideal.

The "Curve" is based on a sound, scientific investigation of listens' typical preferences.  So it is based on a broad preference which the individual may not share.

Todd

Quote from: Fëanor on December 13, 2022, 05:47:14 AMNot to quibble over the use of "standard", the Harmon Curve is frequently cited as ideal.

By whom?  It is not cited by most manufacturers, by engineers, by pro audio folks, etc.  It is not a standard.  No standard exists.

I have a pair of Denons that conform to the Harman curve and they sound good enough, but hardly ideal.  I prefer more high frequency energy and less low frequency energy for music; the Denons are great for TV and movies.  Ideal is a meaningless term.  I know for certain that some mixing engineers seek flat response measured at the earcup, fully aware of what that translates to for regular listening, or, as one puts it, for audiophile listening.

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on December 13, 2022, 05:57:32 AMBy whom?  It is not cited by most manufacturers, by engineers, by pro audio folks, etc.  It is not a standard.  No standard exists.

It is commonly mentioned:  that you might not have heard of it doesn't diminish the fact.  For example it is used by ASR and also by Rtings for headphone testing.;  Rtings refers to is as "target response" which they show on their 'Raw response' graphs.

I agree that it isn't a industry standard.

Quote from: Todd on December 13, 2022, 05:57:32 AMI have a pair of Denons that conform to the Harman curve and they sound good enough, but hardly ideal.  I prefer more high frequency energy and less low frequency energy for music; the Denons are great for TV and movies.  Ideal is a meaningless term.  I know for certain that some mixing engineers seek flat response measured at the earcup, fully aware of what that translates to for regular listening, or, as one puts it, for audiophile listening.

No dispute:  you are entitled to your preferences.  To quote Marcus Aurelius, "Life is opinion".

Bachtoven

Quote from: Fëanor on December 13, 2022, 04:35:15 AMWithout prejudice I'm just going to refer to ASR's review of the Focal Sellia
The RTINGS.com Stellia review is also not so stellar  ;D

Note that the frequency response criterion used a ASR is the emerged standard "Harmon Curve".  Based on the ASR review, the Stellia like it has highish distortion in the 300 to 1100 range.  Personally I feel that distortion is generally bad for good detail and transparency.

From what I understand, binaural recordings are best for headphones.  In any case I really don't enjoy headphone listening so my Audio Technica phones don't get much use.
If ASR were soft paper, I wouldn't wipe my ass with them, and anyone who puts stock in their "reviews" has no credibility with me. . Regardless of the graphs, these are very highly regarded headphones, they sound fantastic to me, and that's all that matters.  I made this post to share my joy in my new purchase, not to have you two piss in my pool. I'm done here.