What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Harry on February 20, 2024, 09:06:26 AMYes of course, I tuned the system in my office as far as the soundbar allowed me. The fine tuning resulted in a sound I did not expect. Putting a Cambridge streamer in the works proved to be the game changer, and some Audioquest cables.  Internet got a proper cable too. And of course Roon is important too.

Network cables did a trick in my system. Including one from optical converter to router. Big, big change.

Bachtoven

Speaking of cables, this power cord arrived today for a component that will arrive shortly. (The company prefers that customers provide their own.) Its length is not that impressive, but look at that girth... :)

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Bachtoven on February 20, 2024, 09:44:25 PMSpeaking of cables, this power cord arrived today for a component that will arrive shortly. (The company prefers that customers provide their own.) Its length is not that impressive, but look at that girth... :)

Looks impressive. Hope it will work well for you.

Everything to do with power supply is often underestimated, quite unjustifiably. Of course, it's not just cables that are important. I use dedicated LPSUs for various components, including a wi-fi router and an optical signal converter. The difference in sound is amazing. I'd recommend giving it a try to anyone who wants to listen only to music, without added noise and distortion of all sorts.

Daverz

Quote from: Bachtoven on February 20, 2024, 09:44:25 PMSpeaking of cables, this power cord arrived today for a component that will arrive shortly. (The company prefers that customers provide their own.) Its length is not that impressive, but look at that girth... :)

Does it have a U/L rating?

Pohjolas Daughter

I haven't heard of that before.  Which company is that?  And whose power cord did you buy?

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 21, 2024, 01:52:28 AMLooks impressive. Hope it will work well for you.

Everything to do with power supply is often underestimated, quite unjustifiably. Of course, it's not just cables that are important. I use dedicated LPSUs for various components, including a wi-fi router and an optical signal converter. The difference in sound is amazing. I'd recommend giving it a try to anyone who wants to listen only to music, without added noise and distortion of all sorts.
How does that work?  Do you have a separate electrical panel for your equipment?  Not familiar with what an LPSU is.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 21, 2024, 04:33:21 AMI haven't heard of that before.  Which company is that?  And whose power cord did you buy?
How does that work?  Do you have a separate electrical panel for your equipment?  Not familiar with what an LPSU is.

PD

PD, just Google LPSU, and you will quickly find out what it is and what it does. I use them throughout my system too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on February 21, 2024, 04:57:16 AMPD, just Google LPSU, and you will quickly find out what it is and what it does. I use them throughout my system too.
When I first typed in "What is an LPSU" earlier, the results that I was given had to do with the internal power supply for a computer (or PSU) which didn't seem to fit--even though I had typed in the "L".  This time, I just typed in "LPSU?" and was given the correct info.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Got it setup.  Everything works.  I get to use an ethernet cable instead of wifi since it is next to the router now.  I will be running Dirac tonight.

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on February 21, 2024, 06:40:47 AMGot it setup.  Everything works.  I get to use an ethernet cable instead of wifi since it is next to the router now.  I will be running Dirac tonight.

Well you can imagine that I am very curious about what you find of it. The ethernet cable is a good choice, more stable.  Give it some time to break in, that always takes a little while!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 21, 2024, 04:33:21 AMI haven't heard of that before.  Which company is that?  And whose power cord did you buy?

PD

I have a separate cable for the entire sound system. In any case, it's better to take care that the audio is not powered by the same cable as the fridge or fluorescent lamps ;)

LPSU - I realised you had already found the answer.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 21, 2024, 06:54:33 AM*I have a separate cable for the entire sound system. **In any case, it's better to take care that the audio is not powered by the same cable as the fridge or fluorescent lamps ;)

LPSU - I realised you had already found the answer.
*I believe that that is the same thing as a dedicated power supply?

**As in buzzing/interference, etc.?

And is there a difference between a LPSU and a power conditioner?  Is a PC a generic word which covers various devices?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

PD
1) Denafrips
2) Monosaudio

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 21, 2024, 07:24:57 AM*I believe that that is the same thing as a dedicated power supply?

**As in buzzing/interference, etc.?

And is there a difference between a LPSU and a power conditioner?  Is a PC a generic word which covers various devices?

PD

A separate cable of higher than usual quality was allocated for audio. There are many descriptions of the differences between LPS and conventional power supplies online. I'll tell you about the effect on sound quality. To my ears it ensures more natural, full and clear sound, less background noise and distortion.

DavidW

Alright after several hours of use including tv, cds, streaming, and usb flac files here is what I think of the NAD m10 v2.

The good:
Once I sorted out some settings I had it effortlessly switching inputs.  I liked how I could also just push play and autoresume whatever I was playing on streaming or usb before.  And I liked how very quick it was to power on and get going.  Unlike my preamp which takes an entire minute to warm up.

The combo with my speakers made tv way better.  The dialogue is far more clear at a lower volume and with less distortion.  And in fact I would say that my experience with tv was a huge home run.

The bad:
The bluos app defaults to 4.0 which hides the sources!  I had to revert to an older version just to switch inputs.  Which are also not on the remote.  The remote is just for bluos and doesn't allow you to switch inputs!?!  I'm sure the sources are somewhere in 4.0 but I couldn't find them.  Once I enabled auto switching and frequently use the different inputs, they then appear on the homescreen.

Another annoying thing is that if you manually switch input you also have to hit play even if it is just a source and not a music file.  That is non-intuitive and I think kind of stupid.

I also had a reboot out of the middle of nowhere.

The instructions are awful.  They either say nothing or are grossly incomplete.  I end up having to google everything.  Except using Dirac which was a 20+ step process for something that should be simple.  And little did I know that it can't be done on the mobile app.

But these are not deal breakers.  Because eventually I figure it out, I deal with it, and I move on.  But there are deal breakers.

The ugly:
The coax input has audible noise.  It is not loud at normal volumes, but I could hear it.  That would be unacceptable even in entry level gear, but in something this expensive... the lack of QC is completely inappropriate.  Now I could use optical, or I could swap the unit... however...

The amp is just too bright, and it doesn't have that smooth NAD sound (like my cheaper poweramp has).  I have found other people online that complained about it.  And one had my speakers in particular, and switched to Hegel and was way more satisfied with the sound.

But yeah I think it goes back.

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2024, 08:03:56 AMAlright after several hours of use including tv, cds, streaming, and usb flac files here is what I think of the NAD m10 v2.

The good:
Once I sorted out some settings I had it effortlessly switching inputs.  I liked how I could also just push play and autoresume whatever I was playing on streaming or usb before.  And I liked how very quick it was to power on and get going.  Unlike my preamp which takes an entire minute to warm up.

The combo with my speakers made tv way better.  The dialogue is far more clear at a lower volume and with less distortion.  And in fact I would say that my experience with tv was a huge home run.

The bad:
The bluos app defaults to 4.0 which hides the sources!  I had to revert to an older version just to switch inputs.  Which are also not on the remote.  The remote is just for bluos and doesn't allow you to switch inputs!?!  I'm sure the sources are somewhere in 4.0 but I couldn't find them.  Once I enabled auto switching and frequently use the different inputs, they then appear on the homescreen.

Another annoying thing is that if you manually switch input you also have to hit play even if it is just a source and not a music file.  That is non-intuitive and I think kind of stupid.

I also had a reboot out of the middle of nowhere.

The instructions are awful.  They either say nothing or are grossly incomplete.  I end up having to google everything.  Except using Dirac which was a 20+ step process for something that should be simple.  And little did I know that it can't be done on the mobile app.

But these are not deal breakers.  Because eventually I figure it out, I deal with it, and I move on.  But there are deal breakers.

The ugly:
The coax input has audible noise.  It is not loud at normal volumes, but I could hear it.  That would be unacceptable even in entry level gear, but in something this expensive... the lack of QC is completely inappropriate.  Now I could use optical, or I could swap the unit... however...

The amp is just too bright, and it doesn't have that smooth NAD sound (like my cheaper poweramp has).  I have found other people online that complained about it.  And one had my speakers in particular, and switched to Hegel and was way more satisfied with the sound.

But yeah I think it goes back.

I am sorry to hear this, I do not recognize the things you experienced, when I had this set in my system. As to the bright sound, one always has to remember, that it takes time before the NAD will settle. I have also read reviews about this NAD, and did not encounter the negatives you found. But it is and will always be a subjective issue. Again I am sorry, for I told you it was far better as the earlier choice you wanted to make. Hope you will eventually find what you need :)

DavidW

@Harry I think that synergy between components really is a thing.  The Paradigm speakers that I have are very analytical and neutral and just pair better with something warmer and more engaging to bring an overall balance.  Which is why the Denafrips->Schiit Freya->NAD worked so well with them.

I just have to keep looking.  I'll find it. :)

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2024, 08:31:07 AM@Harry I think that synergy between components really is a thing.  The Paradigm speakers that I have are very analytical and neutral and just pair better with something warmer and more engaging to bring an overall balance.  Which is why the Denafrips->Schiit Freya->NAD worked so well with them.

Maybe Pass Labs as amplification is an option, or Esoteric. Secondhand is an option...and they have warmth enough to feed your Paradigm Speakers.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2024, 08:31:07 AM@Harry I think that synergy between components really is a thing.  The Paradigm speakers that I have are very analytical and neutral and just pair better with something warmer and more engaging to bring an overall balance.  Which is why the Denafrips->Schiit Freya->NAD worked so well with them.

This is what I meant by component compatibility.

Have you looked at Naim?

DavidW

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 25, 2024, 07:56:56 PMThis is what I meant by component compatibility.

Have you looked at Naim?

I figured so.  I will look at Naim.