What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 08, 2024, 12:52:08 PMWhen we first got married, my wife and I found this awesome piano rug--just had to have it! I'm sure it helps to tame reflactions from the hardwood floor. Our livingroom is great for audio--the ceiling slopes upward toward my listening position, which probably helps with the acoustics, too.

Cool carpet!  ;D  The B&W's are especially great too.  :)  Enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 08, 2024, 12:59:03 PMCool carpet!  ;D  The B&W's are especially great too.  :)  Enjoy!

PD
Thank you--I will and do! Actually, the sound quality has gotten to the point that I rarely feel like attending concerts anymore unless it's something very special.

DavidW

Do you have your speakers wired to both your hifi and a receiver?  I have ideas...

Daverz

Hoist by my own technological petard this weekend as my ISP provided cable modem/wireless router died and my music server became unreachable (everything set up to use DHCP).  The router lasted 8 years, which is a pretty good run in internet years.  I'm using my phone's hotspot, which has limited bandwidth, to connect.  Until the new equipment arrives, I'll have to hook up my dusty DVD player and play physical discs.  :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on June 02, 2024, 01:46:05 PMHoist by my own technological petard this weekend as my ISP provided cable modem/wireless router died and my music server became unreachable (everything set up to use DHCP).  The router lasted 8 years, which is a pretty good run in internet years.  I'm using my phone's hotspot, which has limited bandwidth, to connect.  Until the new equipment arrives, I'll have to hook up my dusty DVD player and play physical discs.  :o
[/b]

You will be o.k.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 02, 2024, 04:27:33 PM[/b]

You will be o.k.  ;)

PD

I hope so.  I keep looking at my phone to see what is playing.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on June 02, 2024, 05:26:58 PMI hope so.  I keep looking at my phone to see what is playing.
How does your phone matter in things?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 02, 2024, 07:30:17 PMHow does your phone matter in things?

I usually use my phone to control the music server, and it shows the current album and track info.

drogulus

I copy over all my PC music files to a portable HD connected to my media player which feeds my AVR. At present that's 519GB including an ISO archive in one folder and the unpacked DSD files in another. Including the ISOs is just a way of keeping them safe in case something goes wrong.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 08, 2024, 12:59:03 PMCool carpet!  ;D  The B&W's are especially great too.  :)  Enjoy!

PD
@Bachtoven By the way, may I ask as to what your sitting listening/tv viewing arrangement like?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 05, 2024, 09:38:04 AM@Bachtoven By the way, may I ask as to what your sitting listening/tv viewing arrangement like?

PD
That photo was taken from my listening/viewing chair position--it's about 4' from the end of the coffee table. The other living room wall is right behind me.

Here's a side view that shows the sloping ceiling. My listening chair is just past the piano.

Bachtoven

^^ The cabinet behind the sofa has been striped of decor except for the metal sculpture until our kitties stop chasing each other around the house and leaping onto/off of the cabinet! A few weeks ago they broke a beautiful ceramic cat sculpture for which we can find no replacement. At least they are not using my audio system for a springboard!

Valentino

I sit a whole lot closer than most do. It has acoustic benefits aplenty. These dipoles also sound good outside the listening position due to their very uniform radiation pattern. The ceiling "box" is 10 cm acoustical panels and the only room treatment.
(That's my father listening to Max Ricter's The New Four Seasons - Vivaldi Recomposed in the pic.)
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on June 05, 2024, 10:11:13 AM^^ The cabinet behind the sofa has been striped of decor except for the metal sculpture until our kitties stop chasing each other around the house and leaping onto/off of the cabinet! A few weeks ago they broke a beautiful ceramic cat sculpture for which we can find no replacement. At least they are not using my audio system for a springboard!
Eek!  :(  Who was the artist behind the sculpture?

And those Scandinavian designed chairs are soooo comfortable.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Valentino on June 05, 2024, 10:22:28 AM
I sit a whole lot closer than most do. It has acoustic benefits aplenty. These dipoles also sound good outside the listening position due to their very uniform radiation pattern. The ceiling "box" is 10 cm acoustical panels and the only room treatment.
(That's my father listening to Max Ricter's The New Four Seasons - Vivaldi Recomposed in the pic.)
Nice!  And what a gorgeous view!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 05, 2024, 10:36:07 AMEek!  :(  Who was the artist behind the sculpture?

And those Scandinavian designed chairs are soooo comfortable.

PD
I don't recall the artist. It wasn't fine art, just an elegant cat sitting upright in a bronze/brown color. I'm sure we can find an equally appealing one, but my wife really loved the one they broke.

No argument there! Too bad they are so expensive, but they last a long time...despite numerous claw marks!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on June 05, 2024, 11:43:22 AMI don't recall the artist. It wasn't fine art, just an elegant cat sitting upright in a bronze/brown color. I'm sure we can find an equally appealing one, but my wife really loved the one they broke.

No argument there! Too bad they are so expensive, but they last a long time...despite numerous claw marks!
If you remember where you bought it--at least in terms of the city/area/time frame, you might be able to find one by the same artist.

Glad that your kitties have stayed away from your stereo system.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Anybody got a DAP? It looks like the sweet spot pricewise is around $500. My requirements aren't overly demanding. It should play all the usual formats and have 1TB of external storage ability plus a good interface according to proper authorities. Bluetooth isn't necessary nor is WiFi as it will only be used to play my files.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Valentino

DAP is a to me unknown acronym.
Digital Audio Player?
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

steve ridgway

Quote from: drogulus on June 30, 2024, 06:50:20 PMAnybody got a DAP? It looks like the sweet spot pricewise is around $500. My requirements aren't overly demanding. It should play all the usual formats and have 1TB of external storage ability plus a good interface according to proper authorities. Bluetooth isn't necessary nor is WiFi as it will only be used to play my files.

The Want a new mp3 player thread may be a good place to continue this discussion...