What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I can't do canal phones, either. Won't stay in, no matter how far I push 'em. :(

DavidW

Quote from: marazm1 on October 06, 2007, 07:16:30 AM
Simply the best there is.  Cost around 300 bucks 11 years ago.  Sounds good at low volume--very rich and full.  It survived college, my brother's party where as&&oles destroyed the speakers.  Still sounds great (cd stopped working after 3 years), even though I just use it as speakers for my tv/computer.  JVC rules!

That is awesome dude.  Others are posting hifis that look like they belong in a art museum, and you've posted an old dented, beat up boombox with duct tape and shit all over it.  That really is my style, I had a jvc tape deck that was damaged from moving so that one of the lids wouldn't close, but still sounded great so I kept it! :D  Well that was awhile ago, I don't have it anymore but I kept for a very long time.  If it works, use it, sit back and enjoy the music. :)

George

Quote from: Mark on October 06, 2007, 08:31:57 AM
I can't do canal phones, either. Won't stay in, no matter how far I push 'em. :(

They weird me out anyway, also uncomfortable. I had some and returned them.

Renfield

Quote from: Siedler on October 06, 2007, 08:29:19 AM

+

:(

Actually, even though I expected the MacBook's on-board sound card not to be worth much, the quality is pretty decent (even by my sensitive-ear standards): and it can almost drive my Sennheiser 280HD's to a sufficient extent.

Although the 595's might be a tougher sell, with a MacBook... :-\

Edit: Typo.

Kullervo

Had these for about two years now. Not exactly high-end, but not too shabby, either.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: marazm1 on October 06, 2007, 07:16:30 AM
Simply the best there is.  Cost around 300 bucks 11 years ago.  Sounds good at low volume--very rich and full.  It survived college, my brother's party where as&&oles destroyed the speakers.  Still sounds great (cd stopped working after 3 years), even though I just use it as speakers for my tv/computer.  JVC rules!

Yup, me too, Maraz! Long live JVC indeed! And this one HAS lived long. Like yours, the CD player died long ago, but with my sound card plugged into it, works just fine. :)

8)

PS - The small speakers in front are part of an Altec system that is split off from the sound card too. Subwoofer on the floor. Hey, it plays great. :)

----------------
Now playing: Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition - Jeno Jando - Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition for Piano - 01
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Yeah I have Altec Lansing for my pc speakers too now Gurn.  They're pretty sweet.  I have a 2.1 system. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2007, 12:33:03 PM
Yeah I have Altec Lansing for my pc speakers too now Gurn.  They're pretty sweet.  I have a 2.1 system. :)

Me too. Nice bass reproduction. And with the JVC filling in the mid-range, it is completely acceptable. Although I don't suppose MOMA would be interested in it, like they would be some of these!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: St Saëns Piano Trios - Joachim Trio - St Saëns Trio #2 in e for Piano & Strings Op 92 1st mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2007, 11:41:33 AM
Yup, me too, Maraz! Long live JVC indeed! And this one HAS lived long. Like yours, the CD player died long ago, but with my sound card plugged into it, works just fine. :)

8)

Hey Gurn,
Is that the stack of Purcell operas I sent you  on the shelf?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Muriel on October 06, 2007, 12:55:44 PM
Hey Gurn,
Is that the stack of Purcell operas I sent you  on the shelf?

:P

And on the shelf is where they stay... ;D

(I know you recognized the all-seeing eyes of Luigi though)

8)

----------------
Now playing: St Saëns Piano Trios - Joachim Trio - St Saëns Trio #2 in e for Piano & Strings Op 92 3rd mvmt

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2007, 01:00:07 PM

(I know you recognized the all-seeing eyes of Luigi though)
Yes I do! LVB lives on the same spot on my desk :)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2007, 01:00:07 PM

It feels like she gave you homework, doesn't it? ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2007, 01:19:26 PM
It feels like she gave you homework, doesn't it? ;D

;D

Couldn't have said it better. Don't let your empathy level rise, not good for you professionally. ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Haydn Piano Sonatas 11 - 20 - John McCabe - FJH Sonata #19 in e for Piano H Deest 3rd mvmt

Lady Chatterley

Lady Chatterley

Siedler

Quote from: Renfield on October 06, 2007, 09:35:19 AM
Actually, even though I expected the MacBooks's on-board sound card not to be worth much, the quality is pretty decent (even by my sensitive-ear standards): and it can almost drive my Sennheiser 280HD's to a sufficient extent.

Although the 595's might be a tougher sell, with a MacBook... :-\
Well, actually I agree, the sound is decent but I wish I had the money to buy a decent hi-fi system with speakers and amp - hence the sad face.  :)

Renfield

Quote from: Siedler on October 06, 2007, 03:14:51 PM
Well, actually I agree, the sound is decent but I wish I had the money to buy a decent hi-fi system with speakers and amp - hence the sad face.  :)

Well, of course. Understandable; especially in this forum, and in comparison to those near sci-fi systems on display here! ;D

But I, at least, wouldn't have a proper place to put it: so I'm satisfied with my lowly Sony hi-fi and laptop(s)/headphones, for now.

(By the way, thanks for calling my attention to the typo in my previous post, which I fixed. :P)

Bonehelm

It's obviously nothing compared to real stereo Hi-fi's like Harry's and 71dB's, but this is as good as a computer
2.1 speaker package can get. It has so much horsepower too, at 40% the neighbors from another flat of my apartment knocks on my door.

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 06, 2007, 05:18:38 PM
It's obviously nothing compared to real stereo Hi-fi's like Harry's and 71dB's,

Well, my system is actually 5.0 with passive subwoofer. I think classical music really needs good sound so some of the systems shown here do not make any sense (to me). PC speakers for classical music?  ??? Insane!  :P 
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Expresso

Currently i don't have a sound system, i'm stuck with my pc speakers.