What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on March 02, 2018, 09:18:40 AM
Why wouldn't they be still in business?

I don't recall having seen reference to them for a while.

drogulus

Quote from: The new erato on March 02, 2018, 08:09:08 AM
Studio or mastering work is far more important than medium, and that goes for SACDs as well.

Just bought me one of these. Will probably be my last CD/SACD device, but I don't stream and cannot be bothered to rip:

Still awaiting delivery BTW.

I enjoy ripping. What I really enjoy, though, is having all my music on a single HD (backed up on another), and all the videos, organized with fanatical precision, on a group of portable drives, connected through a hub to my Oppo. I'm never more than a few button presses away from my entire media collection. The outlay in initial effort to get the system up and running is definitely worth it. You can do it fast or slow and take years or weeks to complete it. HD space is cheap, you don't even have to add compression. My entire uncompressed music collection is 213GB, a trivial size.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Says on Wikipedia

"In September 2014, Pioneer agreed to sell Pioneer Home Electronics (Home A/V) to Onkyo"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation

Spineur

Quote from: Daverz on March 02, 2018, 11:07:21 AM
Says on Wikipedia

"In September 2014, Pioneer agreed to sell Pioneer Home Electronics (Home A/V) to Onkyo"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation
True, but the two brands still exist separately.  They do marketing together I believe.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Analog: Get an Oracle Delphi Mk. III or later with SME V arm or GTFO.

As for me, I just turned on my Audioengine 5+ powered monitors for a second system. Very impressive for this size and price point. I will probably buy the woofer later on, but for now, they are breaking in and are quite satisfying for most music except pipe organ. Impressive volume, soundstage and dynamics! The bamboo finish is only another 60$ and is absolutely gorgeous! They remind me of Sonus Fabers in terms of build quality and finish.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

lisa needs braces

My computer speakers -- standing a bit behind my computer desk -- are Audioengine A5+ powered speakers.

They have served me well over the years, and I plan to hold on them for quite a few more. They're powered so no amplifier necessary.

My headphones are the Senheiser HD 650s -- one of my grandest splurges, and I plan to keep them until they fall apart.

But in general audophilia is an ambition of mine as much as some people loathe it as wanton consumerism or quackery >:D.

Kontrapunctus

I recently upgraded my VPI Scout 1.1 to a VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. Wow, the clarity and sense of realism are astounding.

Fëanor

I'm replacing my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's that I've enjoy for 13 years with something new.  Not that I don't like the Maggies but their size has always been a bit overwhelming in our smallish living room that is also my listening room.

The Maggies replacements are a pair of DIY, (do it yourself), two-way small towers based closely on Zaph Audio's ZRT, (Revelator Tower), design that use high-grade Scan-Speak drivers.  See http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

So far I don't seem to be losing much with the ZRT's versus the Magneplanars.  The latter being bipolar planars do offer a somewhat more expansive sound stage but the former are even more transparent, detailed, and airy with equal or better bass.

Some pics ...

SurprisedByBeauty

Before they disappear entirely (since Oppo & Cambridge have stopped making high-end blue-ray players, esp. set up for audio and stereo; apparently because their supplier no longer provides some relevant parts but presumably also because they don't see a future in the market), I got myself a Cambridge CXU. And, in an upgrade from my humble Firestone Audio Cute DAC, I added a T+A DAC8 DSD to the lineup. Although it's not asked to do a whole lot, yet, so the "upgrade" has been actually rather marginal, I must say.

Daverz

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 19, 2019, 12:27:48 AM
Before they disappear entirely (since Oppo & Cambridge have stopped making high-end blue-ray players, esp. set up for audio and stereo; apparently because their supplier no longer provides some relevant parts but presumably also because they don't see a future in the market), I got myself a Cambridge CXU. And, in an upgrade from my humble Firestone Audio Cute DAC, I added a T+A DAC8 DSD to the lineup. Although it's not asked to do a whole lot, yet, so the "upgrade" has been actually rather marginal, I must say.

I've given up on disc players.  They always seem to break down on me.

The last DAC I bought was the little Topping D10 for use in my headphone system.  This has the same ES9018 DAC chip as the Auralic Vega in my main system.  The Topping is $90 on Amazon.  I did compare them briefly in my main system, but the test was inconclusive.  I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay kilobucks for a DAC again.

And I just ordered a pair of these, which have gotten a lot of hype lately:

Buchardt S400 speakers.  Free shipping and free return within 30 days.

Fëanor

Quote from: Daverz on June 19, 2019, 05:23:05 AM

The last DAC I bought was the little Topping D10 for use in my headphone system.  This has the same ES9018 DAC chip as the Auralic Vega in my main system.  The Topping is $90 on Amazon.  I did compare them briefly in my main system, but the test was inconclusive.  I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay kilobucks for a DAC again.

And I just ordered a pair of these, which have gotten a lot of hype lately:

Buchardt S400 speakers.  Free shipping and free return within 30 days.

Those Buchardt S400 look very interesting;  I like the idea of the waveguide on the tweeter.

I think Topping generally makes great products.  I recently replace my Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC with a Topping DX7s DAC which is 1/3 the price but just as good, and has a headphone amp to boot.

Daverz

Yeah, I wish I'd known about the Topping headphone amp/DAC gear before buying the Schiit.  It would have simplified things.  The D10 is USB bus powered, so at least it doesn't need an extra wall wart.

I'm starting to get cold feet on the Buchardts.  It was partly an itch to scratch after 10 years with my Vandersteens.  But I just got digital room correction tuned in just so, and the system sounds fantastic.

Fëanor

Quote from: Daverz on June 23, 2019, 04:30:49 PM
Yeah, I wish I'd known about the Topping headphone amp/DAC gear before buying the Schiit.  It would have simplified things.  The D10 is USB bus powered, so at least it doesn't need an extra wall wart.

I'm starting to get cold feet on the Buchardts.  It was partly an itch to scratch after 10 years with my Vandersteens.  But I just got digital room correction tuned in just so, and the system sounds fantastic.

What digital room correction are you using?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a miniDSP device such as the nanoDIGI 2x8 B ...
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/nanodigi-2x8-b

Daverz

Quote from: Fëanor on June 24, 2019, 06:36:52 AM
What digital room correction are you using?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a miniDSP device such as the nanoDIGI 2x8 B ...
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/nanodigi-2x8-b

My toolchain is:

• REW and a Umik-1 mic to measure the impulse response of my system + room.
  • DRC-FIR to generate the room correction filters.
  • brutefir and the BrutefirDRC plugin as the convolution engine on my Squeezebox server (running on Ubuntu).

I described my procedure in a post at ASR, which probably needs some updating.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/room-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-2.5/page-9#post-163964

There are other free options to generate the filters, like rePhase and PORC, and commercial ones like Acourate or Audiolense.

Also, many other music players and servers provide convolution engines, like Volumnio, Roon, Foobar, etc.

Irons

Quote from: Daverz on June 19, 2019, 05:23:05 AM

Wish I didn't read that! My main source is analogue, and to compliment that a couple of years ago I purchased a second-hand Denon CD player for £20. It has never missed a beat. The upgrading bug has taken hold and today taking delivery of, again second-hand, a Quad player which unlike the Denon is a serious investment. The law of sod........... :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2019, 12:33:05 AM
Wish I didn't read that! My main source is analogue, and to compliment that a couple of years ago I purchased a second-hand Denon CD player for £20. It has never missed a beat. The upgrading bug has taken hold and today taking delivery of, again second-hand, a Quad player which unlike the Denon is a serious investment. The law of sod........... :(

Which type of Quad player did you purchase?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Quote from: "Harry" on June 25, 2019, 12:37:10 AM
Which type of Quad player did you purchase?

99 CD P2.

Arrived today and I am delighted (so far). I am particularly attracted to the variable output of this player which enables me to dispense with a passive Pre I used with the Denon.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
99 CD P2.

Arrived today and I am delighted (so far). I am particularly attracted to the variable output of this player which enables me to dispense with a passive Pre I used with the Denon.

Nice toy! (Although I admit that I've never quite liked the look of QUAD equipment. So chunky...
Do you hear a distinct difference to your other player?

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
99 CD P2.

Congratulations and I hope that it gives you many years of pleasurable listening.

Daverz

This is the Quad gear I'd love to have

The ESL-2812 electrostatic speakers.  I've heard a similar model at my local audio salon crammed into one of their smaller rooms, and they still sounded great.