What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 27, 2020, 09:43:15 AM
My vacuum tube (valve) amps. Classical and Jazz music sound luminous and three-dimensional.

Is the large valve in the centre of the left amp a 300B?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on August 28, 2020, 07:00:39 AM
Is the large valve in the centre of the left amp a 300B?

It's a rectifier tube, 5z3p. They are two amps of el34/6sl7 and an el84/12ax7 amp. I have a few more tube amps.

P.s. I want a 300b amp.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on August 27, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Do you think there's a distinctive valve amp sound?

They look like two power amps, is that right or is one a pre?

They all are integrated amps. First, although I don't feel that my opinion is biased, nobody in the world has totally bias-free opinion. To me, however, the valve sound is more colorful and luminous. Brass and cymbals sound shining. Trumpet and sax sound very fresh and lively. The texture of strings sounds very silky (and shining again). Double bass, very woody. Secondly, the valve sound is realistic. When I hear vocals, they sound like they are singing in my room. Thirdly, valve sound is three dimensional. There is a depth in the sound. Just like a theatrical stage, somethings are at front and somethings are at back. The echo effect is three-dimensional as well.

Herman

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 28, 2020, 07:48:47 AM
They all are integrated amps. First, although I don't feel that my opinion is biased, nobody in the world has totally bias-free opinion. To me, however, the valve sound is more colorful and luminous. Brass and cymbals sound shining. Trumpet and sax sound very fresh and lively. The texture of strings sounds very silky (and shining again). Double bass, very woody. Secondly, the valve sound is realistic. When I hear vocals, they sound like they are singing in my room. Thirdly, valve sound is three dimensional. There is a depth in the sound. Just like a theatrical stage, somethings are at front and somethings are at back. The echo effect is three-dimensional as well.

A lot of these things are also dependent on the way the recording is engineered, don't you think so?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Herman on August 29, 2020, 07:25:34 AM
A lot of these things are also dependent on the way the recording is engineered, don't you think so?

Yes, recording condition, musical instruments, the range of frequency, structure of listening room, etc. influence the sound of tube amps as well as solid state amp. My description is about the sound of tube amps ceteris paribus.

Mandryka

Let me ask a question.

Tell me some really outstanding amps which are trouble free. I want an amp which sounds truthful, makes the recording sound a little bit like real music if you're drunk, can make sense of all the partials and timbres and textures, but which I can leave on all the time without worrying, so no valves, no Class A, no room heaters. And nothing which can't be serviced, so no class D, no VFET, nothing made of unobtanium, nothing with no published schematics.

Oh, the amp must also be obtainable in the UK with ease - it's no good if I have to import it from Japan or the States, the cost of duty is prohibitive and I'd be worried about servicing. That being said, I'd be interested in exploring Jap amps - Luxman, Rotel, Accuphase, JVC. . . But not class A!

The speakers I will use are small - Rogers JR 149. Small means hard to drive of course, big impedance. But it also means that the amp must have not just sweet treble, but the ability to really control bass.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2020, 10:58:19 AM
Let me ask a question.

Tell me some really outstanding amps which are trouble free. I want an amp which sounds truthful, makes the recording sound a little bit like real music if you're drunk, can make sense of all the partials and timbres and textures, but which I can leave on all the time without worrying, so no valves, no Class A, no room heaters. And nothing which can't be serviced, so no class D, no VFET, nothing made of unobtanium, nothing with no published schematics.

The speakers I will use are small - Rogers JR 149. Small means hard to drive of course, big impedance. But it also means that the amp must have not just sweet treble, but the ability to really control bass.

Well, if you can afford it, get a Bryston.  They have a 20-year, transferable warranty and excellent customer service, so buying used is safe.   For Bryston gear made between 2000 and 2006, you don't even need documentation, they will still service it under warranty.  Make sure to get a receipt for anything made after that. 

https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

I love my 3B-SST, which I bought on Audiogon.  It was making a thump noise on turn-off, and I sent it in for repair.  They were very easy to deal with on the phone and turned it around in one day.  I did have to pay for shipping to them.  This was in the US (they are a Canadian company), so I don't know how their customer service is in other countries.

I would also recommend getting handles on the amp.  The 3B series (they are up to 3B-SST^3 or something) is the sweet spot for power vs. weight IMO, but the more powerful 4B seems more popular. 

If I was buying now, though, I'd probably take my chances with something with a class-D module from Hypex or Purifi -- light, powerful, efficient, cool running -- but I don't have any experience with recent class-D amps.  Or if I had more cash, a Benchmark ABH2.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2020, 10:58:19 AM
Let me ask a question.

Oh, the amp must also be obtainable in the UK with ease - it's no good if I have to import it from Japan or the States, the cost of duty is prohibitive and I'd be worried about servicing. That being said, I'd be interested in exploring Jap amps - Luxman, Rotel, Accuphase, JVC. . . But not class A!

Now that is a vintage pair of speakers - I believe the MkI version came out around 1980.

There are so many good class AB amps out there you'd be best to buy what comes nearest to your budget. If you can afford something like Naim - go for it. Otherwise it's a toss up between Cambridge, NAD, Arcam, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Sugden, etc. The later Rotel products bet mixed reviews. The A11 was favourably viewed yet it's bigger siblings (A12, A14) not so much.

I love the Rotel CD player I just bought to the point where I may have to replace my venerable McLaren A150B.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Daverz on August 29, 2020, 11:39:12 AM
Well, if you can afford it, get a Bryston.  They have a 20-year, transferable warranty and excellent customer service, so buying used is safe.   For Bryston gear made between 2000 and 2006, you don't even need documentation, they will still service it under warranty.  Make sure to get a receipt for anything made after that. 

https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

I love my 3B-SST, which I bought on Audiogon.  It was making a thump noise on turn-off, and I sent it in for repair.  They were very easy to deal with on the phone and turned it around in one day.  I did have to pay for shipping to them.  This was in the US (they are a Canadian company), so I don't know how their customer service is in other countries.

I would also recommend getting handles on the amp.  The 3B series (they are up to 3B-SST^3 or something) is the sweet spot for power vs. weight IMO, but the more powerful 4B seems more popular. 

If I was buying now, though, I'd probably take my chances with something with a class-D module from Hypex or Purifi -- light, powerful, efficient, cool running -- but I don't have any experience with recent class-D amps.  Or if I had more cash, a Benchmark ABH2.

Thanks, there's a Bryson dealer in London, I may well ask for a demonstration.

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on August 29, 2020, 04:08:12 PM
Now that is a vintage pair of speakers - I believe the MkI version came out around 1980.

There are so many good class AB amps out there you'd be best to buy what comes nearest to your budget. If you can afford something like Naim - go for it. Otherwise it's a toss up between Cambridge, NAD, Arcam, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Sugden, etc. The later Rotel products bet mixed reviews. The A11 was favourably viewed yet it's bigger siblings (A12, A14) not so much.

I love the Rotel CD player I just bought to the point where I may have to replace my venerable McLaren A150B.

Late 1970s, and there's a side of me which would prefer to see them with an amp of the epoch. They were developed with the NAP 120 and for that reason I'm really tempted to get one and see.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 28, 2020, 07:31:57 AM

P.s. I want a 300b amp.

Indeed, I have a friend who had one [a Ming Da from China] and it was a beast. It was always interesting to hear it.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2020, 11:34:16 PM
Late 1970s, and there's a side of me which would prefer to see them with an amp of the epoch. They were developed with the NAP 120 and for that reason I'm really tempted to get one and see.

Mandryka, if you really want a good amplifier, that can easily handle all speakers you throw at it, even the Quad ESL, I advise you strongly to try the
YAMAHA A-S3200, an analog amplifier. I tried it and its definitely and investment for a long long time, not likely to dissapoint.
Cheers
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: "Harry" on August 30, 2020, 05:42:12 AM
Mandryka, if you really want a good amplifier, that can easily handle all speakers you throw at it, even the Quad ESL, I advise you strongly to try the
YAMAHA A-S3200, an analog amplifier. I tried it and its definitely and investment for a long long time, not likely to dissapoint.
Cheers

Fyi,

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/new-yamaha-a-s3200-integrated-amp

Daverz

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2020, 11:25:41 PM
Thanks, there's a Bryson dealer in London, I may well ask for a demonstration.

The caveat is that their newer stuff is pricey.  I'd also check out the Benchmark amp:

https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/benchmark

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on August 30, 2020, 05:42:12 AM
Cheers

Ooooo! I like silver Japanese amps with big power meters! I shall try to hear one soon.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mandryka on August 31, 2020, 12:32:24 AM
Ooooo! I like silver Japanese amps with big power meters! I shall try to hear one soon.

I have their A-S2200 (for about 5 years now) -- with which I am very happy... although I've not done much comparative listening, granted.

Erratum: It's the A-S2100 I have.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on August 31, 2020, 12:32:24 AM

You should like this, then:

Technics SU-R1000

Fëanor

I recently purchased a new preamplifier and power amp.  I'll assert that they are both low price, high performance, and accordingly, high values components.  High-end products will always have their appeal and some advantages, but they no longer have an exclusive grasp on high performance.

The preamp is Schiit Audio Freya+.  It's a remarkably versatile as well as fine sounding component ... see https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

If you care to, you may read my personal review of the Freya+ on an audio forum ... https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/23/236688.html

The power amp is a Hypex Ncore NC252MP-based amplifier provided, (in my case), by VTV Amplifier located in Ohio, USA ... https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-stereo-amplifier-based-on-hypex-ncore-nc252mp/

If you are so inclined you may read my review of the VTV Purify amplifier here ... https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/23/238411.html

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Fëanor on September 17, 2020, 03:53:25 AM
I recently purchased a new preamplifier and power amp.  I'll assert that they are both low price, high performance, and accordingly, high values components.  High-end products will always have their appeal and some advantages, but they no longer have an exclusive grasp on high performance.

The preamp is Schiit Audio Freya+.  It's a remarkably versatile as well as fine sounding component ... see https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

If you care to, you may read my personal review of the Freya+ on an audio forum ... https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/23/236688.html

The power amp is a Hypex Ncore NC252MP-based amplifier provided, (in my case), by VTV Amplifier located in Ohio, USA ... https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-stereo-amplifier-based-on-hypex-ncore-nc252mp/

I have a tube amp with 6sn7. I have vintage 6sn7 tubes of RCA, GE, Sylvania, Ken-Rad, etc, and I am having fun switching among them. I understand, and can fully  imagine, your description of the sound.

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 17, 2020, 08:07:12 AM
I just bought a Schlitt Mani for my Thorens TD 318 turntable, which I've just set back up.

I will begin by using a pair of Edifier powered speakers for now.

Nice. Good to see the rejuvenation of another TT.
Do you still hold a stock of old vinyl; smoky jazz or raw roots music?