What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Quote from: T. D. on December 07, 2021, 02:43:36 PM
Forgive a possibly stupid question, but with the Esoteric CD/SACD player/DAC pictured (original MSRP $12,000 or more), why the additional DAC? I assume you're not using the Esoteric unit as just a transport.
It's not stupid at all! The Esoteric's DAC will only play files up to 96kHz--I have many at 192kHz and quite a few DSD files. The latest generation players from Esoteric will play back those higher resolutions, though. And, if I were using the Esoteric as a transport, then I couldn't play the SACD layer on those discs. That would require a special output on the transport and special input on the DAC called an I2S in order to pass the DSD layer.

Daverz

Quote from: LKB on December 06, 2021, 01:13:34 PM
I don't actually listen to music very often these days, having memorized around 300 hours worth over decades. But when l do, it's from my laptop or my phone via AKG K702 headphones.

So you can play back all that music in your head?  So you must get the best sound of any of us.  Unless the acoustics are bad in there.  ;)

LKB

Quote from: Daverz on December 07, 2021, 08:57:30 PM
So you can play back all that music in your head?  So you must get the best sound of any of us.  Unless the acoustics are bad in there.  ;)

I can be as fuzzy-headed as anyone, but it doesn't seem to affect my " files ". Of course, I've probably lost some of it over the last 30 years. Not half l think, but some. It really was around 300 hours around 1990, when l was a young man.

There's a little game l play sometimes. I'll start running something in say, E-Flat Major, and then try to run a different piece along with it in an unrelated key. Absolute pitch ensures l " play by the rules " and don't inadvertently transpose something to make it easier. I'm able to keep it up for maybe twenty seconds, if I'm rested and focused.

But if l try to throw in a third piece, things break down quickly, after maybe two seconds. I wonder if that limitation is specific to me, or common across people who memorize music extensively.

I can almost hear the audiophiles rolling their eyeballs at this off-topic meandering, so I'll leave off here and maybe start or find a thread elsewhere.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Rinaldo

Quote from: LKB on December 08, 2021, 03:30:01 AMI can almost hear the audiophiles rolling their eyeballs at this off-topic meandering, so I'll leave off here and maybe start or find a thread elsewhere.

Not rolling my eyeballs, more like a silent, envious hiss :) I've got a healthy aural memory but absolute pitch... If only.

Back on topic, after years of thinking about taking the plunge, I've finally went for it. And by "it", I mean scouring the used market for a decent amp & speakers. The result was a refurbished Toshiba Aurex unit from the early eighties, seventy watts running into a pair of beaten up (visually) Focal Chorus 726's sold for over half their retail price, which made me happier than I'd imagined – and worth the hassle it took to haul them across the country.

I don't see myself becoming a devoted audiophile (famous last words, eh?) but what a difference a good setup makes! The Focals are a bit bright but nothing that couldn't be fine tuned to my preferences on the amp. And what an amp it is: I had a suspicion it will sound rather nice, but I certainly wasn't expecting such a pristine, full-bodied goodness. I didn't experiment with its peculiar "Clean Drive" speaker connection – from what I've gathered, it solves some problems while introducing others and I'd rather spend my time listening to music. For the past week, I was just rummaging through my CD collection rediscovering pieces I thought I've heard. The discs slot into my trusty old Onkyo C-S5VL I've been using since 2011 and I'll be adding a record player soon, as evidenced by the vinyl sleeves creeping up at the bottom of the picture. How could I live this long without hearing music like this, I do not know.

Pohjolas Daughter

Congrats Rinaldo!  :)

Isn't it amazing when you can hear so much more detail through a system?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Rinaldo on December 21, 2021, 07:47:20 AM
Not rolling my eyeballs, more like a silent, envious hiss :) I've got a healthy aural memory but absolute pitch... If only.

Back on topic, after years of thinking about taking the plunge, I've finally went for it. And by "it", I mean scouring the used market for a decent amp & speakers. The result was a refurbished Toshiba Aurex unit from the early eighties, seventy watts running into a pair of beaten up (visually) Focal Chorus 726's sold for over half their retail price, which made me happier than I'd imagined – and worth the hassle it took to haul them across the country.

I don't see myself becoming a devoted audiophile (famous last words, eh?) but what a difference a good setup makes! The Focals are a bit bright but nothing that couldn't be fine tuned to my preferences on the amp. And what an amp it is: I had a suspicion it will sound rather nice, but I certainly wasn't expecting such a pristine, full-bodied goodness. I didn't experiment with its peculiar "Clean Drive" speaker connection – from what I've gathered, it solves some problems while introducing others and I'd rather spend my time listening to music. For the past week, I was just rummaging through my CD collection rediscovering pieces I thought I've heard. The discs slot into my trusty old Onkyo C-S5VL I've been using since 2011 and I'll be adding a record player soon, as evidenced by the vinyl sleeves creeping up at the bottom of the picture. How could I live this long without hearing music like this, I do not know.

Congratulations on achieving Audio Satisfaction. It is always great when a system comes together to make a mark on one's listening.  8)

I am curious to know what you play your vinyl on, if I may ask?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on December 21, 2021, 10:57:57 AM
Congratulations on achieving Audio Satisfaction. It is always great when a system comes together to make a mark on one's listening.  8)

I am curious to know what you play your vinyl on, if I may ask?
I don't believe that he has a turntable Fergus.  Scroll up again and reread his posting.  Or perhaps he's trying to upgrade?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 21, 2021, 12:06:44 PM
I don't believe that he has a turntable Fergus.  Scroll up again and reread his posting.  Or perhaps he's trying to upgrade?

PD

Yes, PD, you seem to be correct here and I missed that important point.  :-[
That is, however, a fair amount of vinyl to own without a TT.
Good luck with the search, Rinaldo, and do inform the details if and when you do purchase a TT.

Daverz

The result was a refurbished Toshiba Aurex unit from the early eighties, seventy watts running into a pair of beaten up (visually) Focal Chorus 726's sold for over half their retail price, which made me happier than I'd imagined – and worth the hassle it took to haul them across the country.

Congrats.  I've read great things about the Focals.  They seem to know what they are doing on the engineering side.

Irons

Congratulations. You have built a fine system without paying way over the odds.  Does "Clean Drive" simply bypass tone controls?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Rinaldo

Quote from: aligreto on December 21, 2021, 01:36:36 PMThat is, however, a fair amount of vinyl to own without a TT.  Good luck with the search, Rinaldo, and do inform the details if and when you do purchase a TT.

The vinyls are a mix of non-classical music (usually records bought at gigs), Czech composers and the odd record store / thrift shop pickup here and there. I'm "between" turntables right now – had a cheap one with a built-in preamp and now I'm looking for an upgrade to go with the Aurex. Hope to find something solid in the 200-300 $ price range. This Fluance unit caught my eye but I've yet to cast a searchlight on what's out there.

Quote from: Daverz on December 21, 2021, 03:02:08 PMCongrats.  I've read great things about the Focals.  They seem to know what they are doing on the engineering side.

Years ago, I was impressed by a bunch of bookshelf Focals – the Arias I think? – my friend used to wow me with. They sounded particularly good with vocal and spectral music. Very natural and "present", if that makes any sense. Had the brand in mind since then and while I've considered the available competition, the deal was just too good to pass up.

Quote from: Irons on December 22, 2021, 12:00:46 AMCongratulations. You have built a fine system without paying way over the odds.  Does "Clean Drive" simply bypass tone controls?

Thank you! As for the Clean Drive, this is what I dug up, automatically translated from Japanese so a little flexibility is needed:

QuoteIn the clean drive system, the distortion component detection code is added to the minus terminal side of the speaker, which detects the distortion component generated in the speaker and feeds it back into the amplifier. Then, the feedback amount is adjusted and sent out so as to cancel the distortion component in the amplifier. This cancels out the distortion by the transmission characteristic of a speaker cable and the back electromotive force generated in a speaker, and is trying to improve the dynamic characteristic.

Since almost no current flows through this detection cord, there is no voltage drop, and distortion components can be detected with the speaker terminals. In addition, the cord also detects the impedance with the speaker cable, and as a result, the voltage at the speaker input terminal becomes equal to the output voltage of the amplifier, and it is driven by a constant voltage. By adopting this clean drive method, the harmonic distortion factor when used by connecting to a speaker is reduced to 1/10 or less, and the cross modulation distortion is also improved sharply. Moreover, since all the impedances of the amplifier and the speaker cable can be canceled, the impedance when looking at the amplifier side from the speaker input terminal becomes zero, and the damping factor at the speaker input terminal becomes infinite.

And here's some German advertisement that I sort of understand but still didn't motivate me enough...

I might give it a try eventually, if only for the cool front panel logo to light up, which will obviously boost listening enjoyment by at least 22,63 % 8)

Rinaldo

Quote from: The new erato on December 21, 2021, 08:27:12 AM
Good post!

To be honest, the photo from your signature is one of the things that have set me on this path since I've been on GMG. Cheers!

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 21, 2021, 09:31:59 AM
Congrats Rinaldo!  :)

Isn't it amazing when you can hear so much more detail through a system?

PD

Oh indeed. Feels like being back at the concert hall, with volume exactly as loud as I want it to be.

Daverz

Quote from: Rinaldo on December 22, 2021, 02:43:11 AM
Years ago, I was impressed by a bunch of bookshelf Focals – the Arias I think? – my friend used to wow me with. They sounded particularly good with vocal and spectral music. Very natural and "present", if that makes any sense. Had the brand in mind since then and while I've considered the available competition, the deal was just too good to pass up.

Looking at the Focal specs, they say "8 Ohms nominal" impedance, but 2.9 Ohms minumum (probably in the bass).  There are some (pretty basic) measurements here:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/focal-jmlab-chorus-s-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

The Toshiba specifies 8 to 16 Ohm speaker loads, which implies it's not comfortable going down that low.  You may get more bass grunt with an amp that can handle (at least) 4 ohm loads.

Pohjolas Daughter

The vinyls are a mix of non-classical music (usually records bought at gigs), Czech composers and the odd record store / thrift shop pickup here and there. I'm "between" turntables right now – had a cheap one with a built-in preamp and now I'm looking for an upgrade to go with the Aurex. Hope to find something solid in the 200-300 $ price range. This Fluance unit caught my eye but I've yet to cast a searchlight on what's out there.

I might give it a try eventually, if only for the cool front panel logo to light up, which will obviously boost listening enjoyment by at least 22,63 % 8)

:laugh: ;D  And I used to love watching these (on our Christmas tree) when I was a kid:

These days, I prefer the plain, non-moving white ones.  ;)  :)

I haven't heard of Fluance before now.  Have others here?  One thought--though this might be out of your currant price range--would be to get a turntable that you can add various upgrades to overtime....new or used.  For example, I have a friend who owns a Linn turntable that he loves (I forget which model but would be happy to ask him for you if you like.  We talk all of the time).  His power supply finally died, so he found a new one on eBay which was better than his old one and if I'm recalling correctly, also made it easier to go between playing 45's and 33's.  Personally, I have a Rega that I love.

Good luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Rinaldo

Quote from: Daverz on December 22, 2021, 02:55:28 AM
Looking at the Focal specs, they say "8 Ohms nominal" impedance, but 2.9 Ohms minumum (probably in the bass).  There are some (pretty basic) measurements here:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/focal-jmlab-chorus-s-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

The Toshiba specifies 8 to 16 Ohm speaker loads, which implies it's not comfortable going down that low.  You may get more bass grunt with an amp that can handle (at least) 4 ohm loads.

Good to know – I'll check it out, as this goes beyond my current (pun partially intended) knowledge. The amp has a switch to 4 Ω though, so it shouldn't be completely out of its water I guess? The bass sounds satisfactory, although I did have to tweak it a bit with the tone controls. Definitely something to educate myself about, thanks!

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 22, 2021, 03:24:54 AMI haven't heard of Fluance before now.  Have others here?  One thought--though this might be out of your currant price range--would be to get a turntable that you can add various upgrades to overtime....new or used.  For example, I have a friend who owns a Linn turntable that he loves (I forget which model but would be happy to ask him for you if you like.  We talk all of the time).  His power supply finally died, so he found a new one on eBay which was better than his old one and if I'm recalling correctly, also made it easier to go between playing 45's and 33's.  Personally, I have a Rega that I love.

Good luck!

PD

Yeah, that might be the way to go. The quest continues :)

Spotted Horses

n the clean drive system, the distortion component detection code is added to the minus terminal side of the speaker, which detects the distortion component generated in the speaker and feeds it back into the amplifier. Then, the feedback amount is adjusted and sent out so as to cancel the distortion component in the amplifier. This cancels out the distortion by the transmission characteristic of a speaker cable and the back electromotive force generated in a speaker, and is trying to improve the dynamic characteristic.

Since almost no current flows through this detection cord, there is no voltage drop, and distortion components can be detected with the speaker terminals. In addition, the cord also detects the impedance with the speaker cable, and as a result, the voltage at the speaker input terminal becomes equal to the output voltage of the amplifier, and it is driven by a constant voltage. By adopting this clean drive method, the harmonic distortion factor when used by connecting to a speaker is reduced to 1/10 or less, and the cross modulation distortion is also improved sharply. Moreover, since all the impedances of the amplifier and the speaker cable can be canceled, the impedance when looking at the amplifier side from the speaker input terminal becomes zero, and the damping factor at the speaker input terminal becomes infinite.

Interesting. That sound pretty similar to what is known as a "four wire connection" in a lot of technical instrumentation. The main pair of wires delivers current and a secondary pair of wires measures the potential difference (voltage) on the load, allowing the desired signal to put applied to the load and not to the leads which connect to the load. I always wondered why audio components didn't use this method, and now I know that some do. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

aligreto

Best of luck with the search and do post your eventual decision.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm envious of your access to old Supraphon LPs!  😻

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

How "legit" are the western-sold Supraphon LPs? I have a box of the old Kletzki cycle (really excellent) and they do indicate they were made in Czechoslovakia.