What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

The Lumin T3 is up and running, the power supply is done by a better and more balanced device, the Nuc is 8th Gen Quad core intel, I 5 processor.
No Windows on it, its just a vehicle for Roon.
Audioquest CAT 5e Ethernet communication cable RJ45-G.
Audioquest XLR plugs "Water".
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 02, 2023, 07:28:08 AMCongratulations! I have followed with interest via eBay Alfred's musings. I recall that he is running out of Ortofon tonearms to work his magic. Get in before ship has sailed, you have, well done!
Are these particularly "vintage" tone arms or new ones that they're having a hard time getting all of the parts for Irons?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 03, 2023, 02:40:50 PMAre these particularly "vintage" tone arms or new ones that they're having a hard time getting all of the parts for Irons?

PD

Yes PD they are vintage. I believe it to be the actual arms he has difficulty in locating. More then a refurbishment. If I'm not mistaken he replaces the arm tube, converting a 9" to a 12" tonearm. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2023, 01:52:10 AMYes PD they are vintage. I believe it to be the actual arms he has difficulty in locating. More then a refurbishment. If I'm not mistaken he replaces the arm tube, converting a 9" to a 12" tonearm. 
Wow, that sounds like quite a big change that he is making to them!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Also bought a Atoll Audio streamer ST 300 signature for my secondary system. Its Roon ready, and fits perfectly with the other Atoll components in this set.

TECHNICAL DATA

Power supply: 30 + 10 + 10 VA
Total of capacitors: 69 000 µF
Output stages: 4 discrete non-feedback stages.
Dynamic: 132 dB
Signal/Noise ratio: 132 dB
Output impedance: 5,6 Ω
Output level: 2,0 Vrms
Distortion at 1 kHz: 0,0004 %
Bandwidth: 5 Hz – 20 kHz
Rising time: 1,5 µs
Digital/analogue converter: 2×Burr-Brown 24 bits/192 kHz
Dimensions: 440×284×95 mm
Weight: 7 Kg

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Valentino

Alfred Bokrand sources vintage Ortofon AS-212 tonearms from (mainly) Telefunken S 500 and S 600 turntables. Those arms were OEM for Telefunken with a longer mast and more widely spaced horizontal bearings than the ordinary AS-212.
He replaces the horizontal and vertical bearings.
He makes a new arm tube, vertical bearing housing, end stub and counterweigts, and adds a new Ortofon/SME/JIS connector, internal Cardas cables and MDIN connector, a new tonearm lift (Jelco) with a copy of the beautiful original Ortofon lever.
He offers his tonearms as Straight (J-bend, AS-) or Banana (like those EMTs of yore, AB-), with P2S of 309 (12"), 230 (10") and 211 (9") mm. He's analogandmore4you on Ebay.

Open in a new window for true size.

Mine is an AS-230 ("Straight" 230 mm P2S). In the interim I'm using an SME-adapter from E-bay. I'll get a new arm board for Bokrand's own arm mount, which like the rest of his work also is a beautiful piece of craftmanship.
(That's the famous drunken coda of Solti's Rheingold It's the brand new remaster and it sounds magnificent.)
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Daverz

Quote from: Fëanor on February 02, 2023, 06:59:33 AMUsually purpose-built devices run a version of Linux.  For one thing it's free.

The Raspberry Pi is a popular streamer device and it uses Linux.  I had one up and running with my NAS upstream and feeding my Topping DAC;  it worked fine with Volumio but I preferred my Windows 10 mini-PC as a streamer.

I like to recommend the Raspberry Pi 4 for a streaming device, but they are as rare as hen's teeth these days.  They keep promising that production will return to previous levels, but so far the online shops still don't have them in stock.

drogulus

I ordered a DSD DAC/Amp for my PC, the FiiO JadeAudio KA3.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mookalafalas

just ordered a pair of Hifiman Arya V3s and an ifi Uno Dac/Amp.

I do most headphone listening (at work) on a pair of Sennheiser 6XX headphones, which I love, but decided to splurge...
It's all good...

Holden

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 11, 2023, 01:41:58 AMjust ordered a pair of Hifiman Arya V3s and an ifi Uno Dac/Amp.

I do most headphone listening (at work) on a pair of Sennheiser 6XX headphones, which I love, but decided to splurge...

I suspect that you'll love the Aryas, especially after the 6XXs. I have the model one down from the Ayras, the Ananda Stealth and they sound superb.

The iFi is very well reviewed. Can I suggest that later on you get a separate amp and use the iFi solely as a DAC - your Arya's will love the extra power.
Cheers

Holden

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Holden on February 11, 2023, 03:47:55 PMI suspect that you'll love the Aryas, especially after the 6XXs. I have the model one down from the Ayras, the Ananda Stealth and they sound superb.

The iFi is very well reviewed. Can I suggest that later on you get a separate amp and use the iFi solely as a DAC - your Arya's will love the extra power.

Thanks for the comments, Holden. I actually have a pair of Sundara's--a couple models down from the Ananda. They're nice, too.  I listen to them through an old Audioengine D1. I anticipate I'll mostly listen to to the Aryas plugged directly into my stereo. I have a Marantz PM6007, CD6007 receiver/CD stack. Reckon I'll do some experimenting once they arrive.
It's all good...

Holden

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 11, 2023, 04:21:19 PMThanks for the comments, Holden. I actually have a pair of Sundara's--a couple models down from the Ananda. They're nice, too.  I listen to them through an old Audioengine D1. I anticipate I'll mostly listen to to the Aryas plugged directly into my stereo. I have a Marantz PM6007, CD6007 receiver/CD stack. Reckon I'll do some experimenting once they arrive.

I had the Audeze LCD1s which were the Sundaras main competitor for planar cans but they had an issue with the headband cracking so when I sent them back I got an upgrade to the Anandas. It's a pity in some respect as I really liked the unique sound signature of the LCD1s.

My trusty work cans, the Shure SRH840, are starting to show their age so I might replace them with the DCA Aeon Closed X from Drop. While they won't quite match the Anandas they will come close.
Cheers

Holden

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Holden on February 11, 2023, 05:09:24 PMI had the Audeze LCD1s which were the Sundaras main competitor for planar cans but they had an issue with the headband cracking so when I sent them back I got an upgrade to the Anandas. It's a pity in some respect as I really liked the unique sound signature of the LCD1s.

My trusty work cans, the Shure SRH840, are starting to show their age so I might replace them with the DCA Aeon Closed X from Drop. While they won't quite match the Anandas they will come close.

Audeze makes some highly praised cans. I'd love to hear them, but not buy them! 
It's rather a dangerous hobbby, isn't it.  I was a photography nut for some years, and poured many, many thousands of dollars into it. They called it "GAS"--  "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". I'm hoping with this purchase I will be set, at least for a few years...
It's all good...

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2023, 02:47:02 PMI'm fed up with all of the problems I've had with my Cambridge Audio streamer.  I bought the latest Bluesound Node, and it is so much faster and more fluid that I'll be selling the Cambridge Audio.  I also like that in addition to Qobuz (the service I use), it also has native support for Idagio if I want to jump ship.

The Bluesound Node is way better due to a far superior app.  I have started trying Idagio, and their fantastic curation and organization is apparent even in the blu app.  I will be selling my Cambridge Audio for sure now.

71 dB

The disc trays of my main CD player (NAD C-565BEE) and my old CD player (Denon DCD-735) are both working poorly. I ordered new rubber belts for both players from Portugal based WebSpareParts.com.

belts.png

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on February 12, 2023, 12:22:34 PMThe disc trays of my main CD player (NAD C-565BEE) and my old CD player (Denon DCD-735) are both working poorly. I ordered new rubber belts for both players from Portugal based WebSpareParts.com.

belts.png

Do let us know please how you get on with both the quality of your spare parts and the service of this operator.
Best of luck with your replacement parts.

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2023, 01:26:09 PMDo let us know please how you get on with both the quality of your spare parts and the service of this operator.
Best of luck with your replacement parts.

Okay. I liked the webpages a lot and this operator seems to have high rating among customers, but I'll tell how this goes for me.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

OK. I hope that it all goes well for you.

DavidW

Good luck!  At least that doesn't sound like a difficult repair.

drogulus

I strongly recommend everyone struggling with audiuophilia check out this site.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews%2F

He measures things and investigates claims, IOW he is a very bad man.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0