What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Daverz on October 21, 2008, 10:47:00 PM

The UPS guy brought me this system today.  It's the NHT Xd speaker system.  It's an active sattelite/subwoofer system, but the satellites have no crossover, that's all done in the digital domain by the electronic box in the middle there, which is a class D digital amplifier with a built-in digital signal processor.  This is selling for half price on the web, unfortunately because NHT gave up on the whole concept.

You can't really get an impression from this pic of just how tiny the satellites are.  Maybe I'll tidy up later and snap a pic in situ. 

The problem with 2.1 systems consisting of very small satellite speakers is high crossover frequency between satellites and subwoofer. Here it seems to be 110 Hz which is pretty high and makes it difficult to obtain coherent soundfield. The location of subwoofer is also easily heard. I'd recommend 2.1 systems consisting of larger satellites that go down to 40-60 Hz leaving the lowest octave or so to subwoofer.

I haven't heard NHT Xd speaker system myself but I'd say you can do (soundwise) much better with $6000 and probably even with the half price.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2008, 06:54:27 AM
The problem with 2.1 systems consisting of very small satellite speakers is high crossover frequency between satellites and subwoofer. Here it seems to be 110 Hz which is pretty high and makes it difficult to obtain coherent soundfield. The location of subwoofer is also easily heard. I'd recommend 2.1 systems consisting of larger satellites that go down to 40-60 Hz leaving the lowest octave or so to subwoofer.

I haven't heard NHT Xd speaker system myself but I'd say you can do (soundwise) much better with $6000 and probably even with the half price.

But you can't really aurally localize the subwoofer in this system, or at least I can't.  However, if it becomes a problem, there's a connection for another subwoofer.

M forever

Daverz

Quote from: M forever on October 22, 2008, 08:51:16 PM
Did you really pay $6000 for that stuff?

$3000 at closeout, for two satellites with stands, a 500W dual 10" driver subwoofer, and the 4x150W channel amp with DSP.

I shopped for speakers for several weeks, all floorstanders in the under $5000 range, and heard several in the under $9000 range (B&W 803S and 803D, PSB Synchrony One, Paradigm Signature S6, Thiel 2.4, Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home, Dali Helicon 400 Mk. 2, Aerial 7B and 9, and Revel F52).   I think the NHT system sounds better than all of them, including the $9000 B&W 803D, but maybe accepting the Dalis ($6300) and the Aerial 9s ($9000).   

drogulus

Small satellites usually have limited dynamic abilities, even when using a subwooofer. That would be my main concern with a system like this, besides the high crossover. At $3,000, though, it could be a good system for a smallish room.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on October 23, 2008, 12:17:59 PM
    Small satellites usually have limited dynamic abilities, even when using a subwooofer. That would be my main concern with a system like this, besides the high crossover. At $3,000, though, it could be a good system for a smallish room.

Ultimately, yes, you can only get so much out of small satellites.  But practically, I'll never get close to their limits.  Even if I didn't live in a condo, I'm not a "turn it up to 11" kind of guy.  I haven't noticed any dynamic compression at the moderate volumes I listen at.  This is in a living room/dining room with an open floorplan and vaulted ceiling (sloping from 11' to 19' high; it's a large volume.)

If another subwoofer is added, you can get more dynamics out of them by increasing the crossover frequency. This is discussed in some of the reviews linked below, if you're curious.

The whole point of keeping the satellites small was to have a very small baffle for wide dispersion.   These things have huge dispersion in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

If you're curious there are several reviews on the web:

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1105nht/
http://nhthifi.com/current/nht-reviews.html
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/nht_xd.htm

As to whether I'd recommend these, I'm not sure.  You can't mix and match power amps with them, they only work with the NHT XdA amp.  You'll need a preamp or an integrated/receiver with preamp outputs.  This is probably one reason audiophiles never took to them.  That and the extra A/D step.  The subwoofer is not really generaly useful (no phase control, for example; that's all handled by the XdA.)  And it's an orphan product: while NHT is continuing to warranty them, they aren't updating the firmware or filters anymore, and the originally promised room correction software never materialized, and this stuff is all proprietary. 

Also, it's not easy to upgrade this to a multi-channel system.  They do sell a 6.2 Xd system, but I'm not even sure how that's configured or how it works with typical classical multi-channel discs.   

Peregrine

Just bought these two beauties:

ARCAM A18 amp (in black):

and Roksan Kandy MKIII CD player:

Still hooked up to my old Celestion 9's speakers, but have some Acoustic Energy Aelite's on the way. Been listening to tunes all day!

0:)
Yes, we have no bananas

Daverz

Looks like solid gear.  Did you try any of the Arcam CD players?

Here's the CD player I ended up keeping, the Cambridge Azur 840C:

One thing that influenced the purchase was the inclusion of 2 D/A inputs (1 coaxial or optical each).  So I can plug my Macbook optical out into the CD player.    There are also balanced outputs, though my pre-amp is only single ended.

I also recently acquired my first piece of tube gear, a used Rogue Magnum 99 pre-amp:

This adds a touch of tube warmth, texture, and fullness.

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2008, 06:54:27 AM

I agree, I can here the localization approaching 80 Hz and higher.  If he used larger speakers he could could cross over at 80 Hz or lower and there wouldn't be a problem.  Now I haven't heard high end satellites, but I really have trouble imagining them projecting well. :-\

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on December 13, 2008, 10:40:12 AM
I agree, I can here the localization approaching 80 Hz and higher.  If he used larger speakers he could could cross over at 80 Hz or lower and there wouldn't be a problem.  Now I haven't heard high end satellites, but I really have trouble imagining them projecting well. :-\

What does projecting mean?

Come on guys, what you imagine or theorize isn't very interesting if you haven't heard the speakers.

After I bought these, I started hearing good things about another DSP-based active system, the Emerald Physics CS2.  It's quite different from the NHT system in that it uses controlled dispersion to reduce room interaction and a Behringer digital crossover rather than a custom DEQX unit, so the user can tweak it for room correction.  You have to supply 4 channels of amplification yourself, though.  There's a rave in the latest TAS.  I've already blown my wad on speakers for a while, though. 

You can see the Behringer unit in the middle.

Bogey

I will just address the system I have in my workroom, since that is the one I I have room to improve or mess with  (upstairs is sort of set and rather put the money here). (pics from the net)

Right now, I have this Pro-Ject Debut III turntable.
Manual turntable with fitted cartridge.  The Pro-Ject Debut includes a pre-mounted Ortofon OM-5E moving magnet phono cartridge and is an excellent choice for the audiophile seeking a cost effective vinyl playback solution. A felt-covered steel platter mates to a chrome plated stainless-steel axle running in a brass bearing housing for exceptional speed stability and accuracy. The aluminum tonearm employs inverted hardened stainless-steel points for superior tracking with the supplied phono cartridge. A silicone-damped armlift is supplied.

It is hitched to this Realistic STA-2100 amp/receiver:

The speakers are these:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Bookshelf Speakers
Power 100w Nominal Impedence 6 ohm
Sensitivity 1W@1m 86dB
Frequency Range at-6dB 50Hz-24kHz
Cabinet size mm H296 W194 D278

However, I just learned from my brother-in-law that he no longer wants my dad's old Sansui floor speakers and Pioneer amp that we had in our living room back in the late 60's/ early 70's.  So, they are coming my way this month.  I cannot wait to hear the old system again.  Hopefully the cones do not need to be refurbished.

As for the cd player, I will not bother with the details as it needs replaced....soon.

Daverz,
Would much appreciate a top-ten classical vinyl list from you. 

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on December 13, 2008, 11:15:11 AM
Come on guys, what you imagine or theorize isn't very interesting if you haven't heard the speakers.

We're not theorizing, crossover localization is something anyone with a hifi has experience with.  Unless you mean to claim that your satellites have a low crossover frequency, but I really would doubt that.

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on December 13, 2008, 02:05:22 PM
We're not theorizing, crossover localization is something anyone with a hifi has experience with.  Unless you mean to claim that your satellites have a low crossover frequency, but I really would doubt that.

The crossover slope for the Xd system is 48db/octave, so I'm not sure you can judge it by experience with passive crossovers (typically 6, 12, or 18 dB/octave).  As I said before, I cannot hear the subwoofer location with this system, though that may be because of my batcave of a room.  I've considered going with the stereo subwoofer setup supported by the XdA processor, but I don't think I need it.

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on December 13, 2008, 11:27:10 AM
The Pro-Ject Debut includes a pre-mounted Ortofon OM-5E moving magnet phono cartridge and is an excellent choice for the audiophile seeking a cost effective vinyl playback solution.[/i]

I recently picked up an Audio Technical 150mlx from, of all places, Amazon (via J&R Music World at half MSRP).  I was really impressed by this cartridge.  I have more comments on it here. 

It has a replaceable microline stylus and is an excellent tracker.

However, because of the setup of my current equipment, I'm back to using my Benz Micro L2 moving coil.  I got it for half price, but I'm not really willing to pay that much again for something that starts wearing down on day one and costs as much for a retip as I originally paid for it.

It is hitched to this Realistic STA-2100 amp/receiver:

That's a beauty.

Daverz,
Would much appreciate a top-ten classical vinyl list from you. 

Oh, dear, I'm not Teresa.  I've only managed to collect 1 or 2 shaded dogs, for example.  But I'll think about it.

Bogey

Thanks.  It never gets passed the 9 o'clock on the volume knob.  Weighs more than my car, but I do enjoy it.

My Pro-Ject Debut III was within my price range as I re-entered the analogue world of music.  I read a few reviews and based my final purchase on that as it sounded GREAT at the stereo shop, but what doesn't with their set-ups.   However, as I shared with Allan,there are some other tables I would like to try, but  ;D:

http://www.bornrich.org/entry/top-10-most-expensive-turntables/

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Bogey

The only flaw with it is that the lighting is no longer working.  Is this a quick or difficult fix?

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on December 13, 2008, 03:13:38 PM
The only flaw with it is that the lighting is no longer working.  Is this a quick or difficult fix?

I bet someone on Audio Asylum would know:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/bbs.html

Bogey

drogulus

Quote from: Daverz on December 13, 2008, 03:23:04 PM
I bet someone on Audio Asylum would know:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/bbs.html

You might find a local tech who'd work on it. Sometimes it's the same guy who replaces the filter caps in old Fender/Marshall guitar amps. If you can't find a used audio place check out the local guitar shop. Often the guy does the work on site, or they'll recommend a tech. There's always someone to do this work.