What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on December 18, 2008, 01:14:13 PM
     I agree that for some reason your system can sound different when you substitute one cable for another. I've experienced similar effects.

My system sounds much better after I dust.

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on December 18, 2008, 04:48:59 PM
     You dust:o

<Looks around to see if drogulus is looking in his windows and knows what his condo really looks like.  Nope, coast is clear.>

Why of course.

Gurn Blanston

I agree that for some reason your system can sound different when you substitute one cable for another. I've experienced similar effects. This is an example of an unknown factor that disappears when you do a blind test.

Works better how? How are you differentiating between your reactions to what you hear and what is really going on? How do you avoid the placebo effect? Qualitative judgments are colored by expectations. When blind testing is done to remove this known factor no difference remains. If the cables meet the spec they function the same even if one is cheap and the other is expensive.

Herman seems to be talking about mixing power cables with speaker cables. As an electrician for 27 years, I am very well aware that the induced transients in a signal cable that arise from being in too close proximity to the power cables can screw up even an indelicate piece of equipment. If they can do that, they certainly can screw up an audio signal in a speaker wire. And although I am clearly in the camp of those who aren't buying lunar green cheese, I will buy this one with no problem... :)

8)

----------------
Listening to: Michael Thompson Wind Quintet - Reicha - Op 91 #6 Wind Quintet in c 1st mvmt - Marcia: Poco adagio - Allegro vivace
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

I agree that for some reason your system can sound different when you substitute one cable for another. I've experienced similar effects. This is an example of an unknown factor that disappears when you do a blind test.

Well, I've never taken a blind test but as a flag-waving skeptic I don't need to jump through such hoops to be convinced of things. I can conduct my own tests which certainly is more in keeping with the hobby aspect of hi-fi (how often this gets forgotten).

But really you don't say that you yourself have been involved in a blind test, only that it's a sure-fire cure for the person inflicted with cable-itus. Almost as if your own ears told you one thing but reading about blind tests convinced you that you were wrong.

Not very scientific!! :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Harry

Scientific or not, my ears are the norm, and they say regardless what other experts on the board say, that there is a huge sound difference in cables, and I invested in Nordost Valhalla, because I started with low res cable, and when I listen my way upwards, I could hear the huge sound steps, cables where implementing, and yes also in blind testing I could hear the improvements.
But there is clearly a division between those that can hear and those that can not.
That's the stuff for war with words. ;D

The new erato

Quote from: Harry on December 18, 2008, 11:20:56 PM

But there is clearly a division between those that can hear and those that can not.

I would say the division are between those that can hear the differnce when played blind under controlled conditions and pick up the difference consistently, and those who can hear the difference when they know what they listen to. Most of us belong on the second category (me too), how many belong in the first is a mainly unknown quatity, as most cable proponents for some mysterious reason aren't very eager to undergo that kind of testing.

Bogey

So, any recs here for "decent" cables that will not cost more than my entire system?  Right now I have "crapola" and would be happy to see if marginal improvements to my cables make a difference.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on December 19, 2008, 03:53:32 AM
So, any recs here for "decent" cables that will not cost more than my entire system?  Right now I have "crapola" and would be happy to see if marginal improvements to my cables make a difference.

What did I say before?  Snake oil!  Jeez, seriously don't go to audiophilia insanity, it will hurt you, your psyche, your family, and where it most hurts-- your wallet! ;D

marvinbrown

Since all of my music has been ripped to 256 kbps AAC format I am seriously considering getting the SONOS Wireless music system.  My CD player will not change but I have to buy new speakers. For my speakers I am thinking of the Monitor label not sure which speakers just yet??  Is anyone here familiar with the SONOS system and monitor speakers?  If you are I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  Here's a link to sonos and monitor websites:

www.sonos.com
  www.monitoraudio.co.uk

marvin

toledobass

I love the Kimber Kables I have as my interconnects.  They aren't all that expensive in comparison to some of stuff out there and they look cool :P

Allan

Harry

Try the inexpensive VanderHul cables and interlinks. :)
Second hand is also a option.

Harry

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 19, 2008, 06:52:47 AM
  Since all of my music has been ripped to 256 kbps AAC format I am seriously considering getting the SONOS Wireless music system.  My CD player will not change but I have to buy new speakers. For my speakers I am thinking of the Monitor label not sure which speakers just yet??  Is anyone here familiar with the SONOS system and monitor speakers?  If you are I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  Here's a link to sonos and monitor websites:

www.sonos.com
  www.monitoraudio.co.uk

marvin

My experience with divers Monitor Audio speakers, was always a pleasant one. Those guys are dedicated in making good speakers. See that you get a matching amplification, those speakers are very picky what they accept and what not.

Daverz

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 19, 2008, 06:52:47 AM
For my speakers I am thinking of the Monitor label not sure which speakers just yet?? 

I've heard Monitor speakers at a friend's house and in the shop.  I like them (very tight bass, really great for Bruckner!), but they can tend to be glassy sounding with the wrong equipment.  Here's the Stereophile review of the RS6.

drogulus

Quote from: donwyn on December 18, 2008, 09:46:08 PM
Well, I've never taken a blind test but as a flag-waving skeptic I don't need to jump through such hoops to be convinced of things. I can conduct my own tests which certainly is more in keeping with the hobby aspect of hi-fi (how often this gets forgotten).

But really you don't say that you yourself have been involved in a blind test, only that it's a sure-fire cure for the person inflicted with cable-itus. Almost as if your own ears told you one thing but reading about blind tests convinced you that you were wrong.

Not very scientific!! :D

I disagree. Scientific results are not just valid for the participants. And the results do explain why these differences can so easily be made to disappear. Also, I wasn't on the 1919 expedition that confirmed the bending of light by the suns gravity, so I can't say for sure that it happened. Am I wrong to be so trusting?  :D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 18, 2008, 05:51:17 PM
Herman seems to be talking about mixing power cables with speaker cables. As an electrician for 27 years, I am very well aware that the induced transients in a signal cable that arise from being in too close proximity to the power cables can screw up even an indelicate piece of equipment. If they can do that, they certainly can screw up an audio signal in a speaker wire. And although I am clearly in the camp of those who aren't buying lunar green cheese, I will buy this one with no problem... :)

8)

----------------
Listening to: Michael Thompson Wind Quintet - Reicha - Op 91 #6 Wind Quintet in c 1st mvmt - Marcia: Poco adagio - Allegro vivace

Oh yeah?? Well......Splunge!

Quote from: Harry on December 18, 2008, 11:20:56 PM
Scientific or not, my ears are the norm, and they say regardless what other experts on the board say, that there is a huge sound difference in cables, and I invested in Nordost Valhalla, because I started with low res cable, and when I listen my way upwards, I could hear the huge sound steps, cables where implementing, and yes also in blind testing I could hear the improvements.
That's the stuff for war with words. ;D

I know you can hear these differences, and I know I used to hear them and maybe still can hear them. I just don't understand how you can trust your ears when they tell you one thing and not trust them when they tell you something else. How is that trusting? I trust the results of the double blind tests as well as the placebo effect because together they explain both what is heard as well as what is not heard under a variety of conditions.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Do you mean your cables sound bad?

One way I got out of this rut was by thinking seriously about the judgments I made about this kind of thing. My CD player didn't sound bad in any particular way, I was just vaguely dissatisfied and I wanted to have that really cool one that I saw in the magazine. That would certainly sound better, I thought, and the skeptics (I knew a little about them) just seemed like spoilsports. After a while I started to think about the disappearing differences and why the judgments seemed so vague. Then I began to notice the evasive argumentation of the proponents (a big point was made about the hearing of sceptics, not a wise move in the long run). Finally I did some research and over a period of several years I gradually dropped all my audio mystic beliefs.

What color would you say this ring is?

Don't you trust your eyes?

DavidW

The ring looks red/pink, alright Ernie I know this must be optical illusion since you posted so what color is it really? ;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: drogulus on December 19, 2008, 01:40:03 PM
    I disagree. Scientific results are not just valid for the participants. And the results do explain why these differences can so easily be made to disappear. Also, I wasn't on the 1919 expedition that confirmed the bending of light by the suns gravity, so I can't say for sure that it happened. Am I wrong to be so trusting?  :D

We're not talking quantum mechanics, here. We're talking about something that's as do-it-yourself as it gets - home stereo.

If you must leave it to the "experts" to tell you how to run your home stereo, then you have my sympathies.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: drogulus on December 19, 2008, 02:04:34 PM

What color would you say this ring is?

Don't you trust your eyes?

There is no ring, per se, rather, the screen is colored and it makes a vestigial "pinkness" on the white background (which is white). So is the implication that the ears are dithering in "sound" to fill in what isn't actually there? If so, I think I can go along with that. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2008, 05:14:43 PM
There is no ring, per se, rather, the screen is colored and it makes a vestigial "pinkness" on the white background (which is white). So is the implication that the ears are dithering in "sound" to fill in what isn't actually there? If so, I think I can go along with that. :)

8)

Good one Gurn! :)