What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonehelm

Hi guys. What do you listen to music on? I mean CD player, computer, Hi-fi, ipod, car, etc. I listen to everything on my computer (It has a logitech Z-2300, THX certified, over 90dB SnR and over 400watts of total power!) and I'm loving every minute of it. I have a hi-fi system too (Sony) but I found that the computer's speakers are clearer in the high register and the bass isn't distorted as much.

I think you guys must have some $100,000 set or something. You guys seem to be able to tell the smallest detail in classical music. :) Share with us what you have.

BachQ

computer
iPod
home stereo (Harmon Kardon)
DVD player
car radio
car CD player
cell phone

PerfectWagnerite

SONY portable CD player (6 years old, quite bulky, but excellent sound - MUCH better than crappy Panasonic) plus either Bose headphones (non-noise-cancelling, sells for $140) or Sennheiser HD515.

Not the greatest but I am happy.

Kullervo

Ipod and Bose tri-port headphones (same as Wagnerite, I think). The iPod is strictly for the house, though. I never go out with it.

Harry

Quote from: Bonehelm on May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM
Hi guys. What do you listen to music on? I mean CD player, computer, Hi-fi, ipod, car, etc. I listen to everything on my computer (It has a logitech Z-2300, THX certified, over 90dB SnR and over 400watts of total power!) and I'm loving every minute of it. I have a hi-fi system too (Sony) but I found that the computer's speakers are clearer in the high register and the bass isn't distorted as much.

I think you guys must have some $100,000 set or something. You guys seem to be able to tell the smallest detail in classical music. :) Share with us what you have.

You must have strange ears I am sure. What's that Sony hifi system of yours if it is beaten by crappy computer systems.
THX is just a lot of noise, and ugly noise too! ;D
And 400 watts of power doesn't say anything, that just a macho phrase.
How do you get the bass distorted, by using all the power, volume knob on maximum.
Tis a riddle how some people listen to their system.
That's mine. Or one of my systems.

Harry

:)

Harry

Todd

At home I listen to music on three different stereos of differing quality.  My main system is an all-Naim rig (except for the speakers) and it lives in a dedicated, treated listening room.  My second system is another, lower cost all-Naim (except for speakers) system.  My third system is fed from the second and is for another room and gets relatively little use.  All three sound excellent or better and allow me to fully appreciate any recording.  (I also have a cheap "executive" system in the garage, but I never listen to classical music on that stereo.)

At work I listen to a walkman.  I never listen on a computer.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mahlertitan

The new erato

Main system

MS 5 main speakers

Conrad-Johnson MF 2500 power amp

Wadia 830 preamp/CD

+ slightly smaller secondary system, iPOD, Portable CDplayer, car systems and various computers

Nice setup Harry!

sonic1

1. Stereo at home (particularly for vinyl)
2. CD player in kitchen
3. ipod plugged into tape converter in old car
4. ipod while running

(the ipod is new for me, and I am mixed on my reluctant entry into this technology, but it has improved my running and workout hours immensely)

Harry

Quote from: erato on May 24, 2007, 10:32:09 AM
Main system

MS 5 main speakers

Conrad-Johnson MF 2500 power amp

Wadia 830 preamp/CD

+ slightly smaller secondary system, iPOD, Portable CDplayer, car systems and various computers

Nice setup Harry!

Yours too my friend.
The wadia is a gem.

beclemund

A 60GB iPod 5G with Etymotic ER6 for the commute to work and Grado SR60 for at home.... the main system is undergoing a transformation that may take some time before I develop the necessary level of motivation as the iPod does well enough.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Bonehelm

Quote from: Harry on May 24, 2007, 10:16:15 AM
You must have strange ears I am sure. What's that Sony hifi system of yours if it is beaten by crappy computer systems.
THX is just a lot of noise, and ugly noise too! ;D
And 400 watts of power doesn't say anything, that just a macho phrase.
How do you get the bass distorted, by using all the power, volume knob on maximum.
Tis a riddle how some people listen to their system.
That's mine. Or one of my systems.

Not really. The THX set was recommended by a classical music magazine (can't remember the name, it's in Italian). It sounds really good, and the sony Hi-fi is just not made for classical music. I listen to heavy metal on it  ;D because it's noisy no matter what.

Papy Oli

Mostly the Headphone system :
Arcam CD73 > Project Headbox Headphone Amp > Sennheiser HD650 > Sheer Bliss  ;D

Otherwise a Denon Mini system if i listen on speakers.  :)

Olivier

Solitary Wanderer

Harry & Erato have nice gear.

I listen on my computer during the day with a half decent system. Half decent systen in the car.

Serious listening = Pioneer 969 universal player > Yamaha RX666 receiver > Mission V63 floorstanders

Not interested in an iPod.

I'd love to upgrade my main system...
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

71 dB

As an acoustics engineer I have build a sound system of maximum sound quality compared to the cost. I have a 5.1 system of 5 identic small speakers of 6 litres (self-constructed but not self-designed) and a passive subwoofer (55 litres, also self-constructed but not self-designed) for frequencies 25-50 Hz. This kind of system works well with both music and movies. The loudspeakers are put carefully in my room about 1 m away from the walls. All these loudspeakers cost only about 1000 euros total! The loudspeakers have very flat frequency response and good power response. The sound is neutral. The only "weakness" is low sensitivity, only 81 dB/W/m. All speaker elements are by Norwegian SEAS.

Many Finns have build their own Hifi 6/2 speakers. This is what it looks like. On the right is a pic of my passive Hifi 55/2 subwoofer.

My amplifier is NAD T762. It has plenty of dynamic power and the sound is fantastic, extremely controlled and analytic but never clinical. The amplifier was 1400 euros but I got it for 1000 euros.  :)

My CD-player is Denon DCD-735. It has served me well for 11 years never skipping on any CD! It cost about 300 euros.

My DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD-player is Pioneer DV-575A. It cost only about 200 euros and serves me very well as a region-free DVD-player and SACD player.

My headphones are Sennheiser HD-580 (200 euros).

For outdoor listening I have iPod shuffle 512MB (100 euros) with Sennheiser PX-200 headphones (60 euros).

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bonehelm

Holy cow 71dB. Since when did ipod shuffles cost 100 euros? It's only 70USD at where I live.

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on May 24, 2007, 12:31:51 PM
Holy cow 71dB. Since when did ipod shuffles cost 100 euros? It's only 70USD at where I live.

I bought it almost 2 years ago and Finland is much more expensive country than US.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Don

I'm not much of an audio fantatic, but I try to have something decent everywhere I might be:

Bedroom - Panasonic Box in back of the bed's headboard.
Computer Room - The usual stuff plus Altec/Lansing speakers.
Living Room - Denon SACD player, B & W Speakers.
Kitchen - BoomBox
Family Room - I just put discs into the DVD player.
Auto - Panasonic CD player
Bathrooms - BoomBoxes
Headphones - Sennheiser

Most of my listening is in the living room, auto and headphones.