What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techniquest

I'm always mindful of budget in all circumstances as I am not particularly highly paid. However, I like to research as much as I can so I can get the best quality for the price. That being said, my music listening is achieved on the following:

1. At home:
Sony MHC-S9D surround-sound Hi-fi component system - had this for about 10 years now and have been very happy with the huge sound range and quality of reproduction. Added to this is my old Aiwa turntable - couldn't be without my records!
Home-built computer system with Soundmax audio and an Advent speaker/subwoofer speaker set-up.

2. In the car:
JVC KD-LH811 cd/mp3/radio system. I probably listen to music more in the car than anywhere else.

3. Out & about
Acoustic Solutions FM6672 MP3 player. Only 1gb, but I change the music frequently and bought for a song from Argos at a mere £14.99. Excellent sound quality for the price and far better than Tescos inferior Technica model of the same capacity (£19.97) and which I also have. My first MP3 player was a Samsung YP-6TX which was really nice (so it should be at £79), but the on/off and 'hold' controls became faulty after about 6 months.

I also have a Sony portable CD player which someone kindly gave me, but I don't use this very much.

longears

Harry--how do you like the MF X Ray CDP in comparison to the Meridians?

Harry

Quote from: longears on May 26, 2007, 05:00:55 AM
Harry--how do you like the MF X Ray CDP in comparison to the Meridians?

The MF is better, quite obvious. :)

longears

Quote from: Harry on May 26, 2007, 08:46:06 AM
The MF is better, quite obvious. :)

Really?  I admit I was intrigued and am a fan of MF (have their A5 amp), but I've been so happy with my Meridian 506 24bit that I've never been tempted to replace it...until I saw a glowing review of MF's bargain-priced X-Ray!  In which way(s) does the MF sound better to you than your Meridians?

71 dB

The best system I have heard in my life was:

Loudspeakers: Duntech Prince
Amplifier: Tact Millennium
CD-Player: Bow Wizard

The place was the listening room (with excellent acoustics) of the acoustics lab I worked in. I was able to listen to Elgar's Apostles with this system! What an experience! I remember the CD-player had difficulties playing some Naxos CDs.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bonehelm

Quote from: 71 dB on May 26, 2007, 09:19:35 AM

The place was the listening room (with excellent acoustics) of the acoustics lab I worked in. I was able to listen to Elgar's Apostles with this system! What an experience! I remember the CD-player had difficulties playing some Naxos CDs.

Good lord I wonder how much that system would cost...$50K?

Harry

Quote from: longears on May 26, 2007, 09:06:14 AM
Really?  I admit I was intrigued and am a fan of MF (have their A5 amp), but I've been so happy with my Meridian 506 24bit that I've never been tempted to replace it...until I saw a glowing review of MF's bargain-priced X-Ray!  In which way(s) does the MF sound better to you than your Meridians?

The sound is more open, sweeter and committed,and is livelier, but not as good as my NuVista player, that's the absolute top, no Meridian or Wadia can reach that.
I have also the Meridian 508 24 bit, and that one has a special place in my heart. Would never part from it.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on May 26, 2007, 09:19:35 AM

I had this amp for a while at home and can confirm that it is a very good amplifier.
They let me have it for two months to test it.
Sweet!

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on May 26, 2007, 09:22:07 AM
Good lord I wonder how much that system would cost...$50K?

The loudspeakers alone are about $100k. The whole system is about $200k new.

Quote from: Harry on May 26, 2007, 09:32:03 AM
I had this amp for a while at home and can confirm that it is a very good amplifier.
They let me have it for two months to test it.
Sweet!

The volume knob is absolutelu brilliant! The amplifier shows the volume as "uncalibrated" decibels. We used levels like 80 while listening. Somebody asked what happens if someone turns the volume knob over 99. The answer was nobody had had the guts to try!  ;D

Steve

I own a complete surround system from Boston Acoustics, an ipod, and AKG K601 headphones.

techniquest

QuoteI remember the CD-player had difficulties playing some Naxos CDs.
In which case, 200k or not, to me it would be worthless.

Bonehelm

Quote from: techniquest on May 26, 2007, 12:10:48 PM

Agreed whole-heartedly.

Not that DG, EMI, Philips and Sony sucks  ;)

71 dB

Quote from: techniquest on May 26, 2007, 12:10:48 PM

I'd change the CD-Player. The loudspeakers and amplifier are superb.

12tone.

Where can I get Canadian prices for B&W speakers?  I know they're up there in price but last time I checked, the company's website didn't even list the prices.  Not that I'm getting any anytime soon, but it would be interesting to see what they go for.  Any sites for prices?

71 dB

My father bought Panasonic DMC-TZ2 digital camera and I borrowed it. Here are pictures of my sound system:

"Hifi 6/2" loudspeakers (3 in front, 2 in the back). The speakers are a assembly kit designed by an editor of the Finnish Hifi-magazine. It uses quality SEAS elements and has flat frequency response as well as a good power response. Bass response goes down to 48 Hz (-6 dB) thanks to skillful design and proper tuning frequency of the reflex port. The finished boxes and electrical parts cost about 140 euros/speaker. That's extremely cheap for speakers this good. The black center speaker is magnetically shielded because I have a crt tv just behind it. Under the TV is my passive subwoofer, "Hifi 55/2", also designed by the same editor. The signal of the main speakers are routed through it. The bass response goes down to 25 Hz (-6 dB) which is not bad for the 280 euros the parts cost. This kind of passive extension of bass response is a good compromise when the use is both music and movies.

My beloved amplifier, NAD T762. This powerhouse is just amazing! It seems to have infinite power resources giving me the most controlled bass. The sound is both extremely clean and soft. Unlike many AV-amplifiers NAD makes musical products so stereo CDs sound just as amazing as multichannel movie soundtracks. This is an expensive product but I got it for 1000 euros.

My CD/DVD players. On top Pioneer DV-575A (region free) which I use for DVDs and SACDs. In the middle my CD-player (Denon DCD-735). It has served me amazingly well for 10 years. In the bottom is my first DVD-player (Denon DVD-1000).   

Mark

Que, you should be a Mod. Then we'd only have about five threads in the whole forum, after you'd finished merging them. ;D

DavidW

Oh goody a show and tell thread!  I'm magically back in elementary school! >:D ::) :P

Alright, seriously, that's a nice system Elgar.  My hifi is bargain, but it's a big step up from using a boombox like I was when I was unemployed! :D  I have a Sherwood Receiver meant for stereo, not for 5.1 stuff, which is fine by me for now.  I have two big Yamaha bookshelfs.  They are large enough that I don't know if I want to put them on stands, they are three way and cover the bass well and look more like stumpy towers than proper bookshelfs. ;D