What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

Quote from: Bogey on May 03, 2009, 06:59:10 PM
Needed to replace my Realistic 2100 D Receiver in my workroom and wanted to go a bit on the vintage side without breaking the bank, so grabbed this tonight:

MARANTZ 2230

Nice! I lover these vintage pieces.

For a time I owned the Marantz 2252B below.  Unfortunately really had no place to set up another system, so I sold it to another vintage lover.  I do still own the nice little Marantz 1070 amp at the bottom.

Fëanor

Quote from: Coopmv on April 28, 2009, 04:46:58 PM
I like the tube preamp and SS amp combo.  I run my CJ MF2500A with the Sonic Frontier Line 1.

Ah! Another Sonic Frontiers Line 1.  I've got one too and am quite fond of it.

In my case too it's mated with solid state; for me a pair of Monarcy Audio SM-70 Pro's.  These feed my Magneplanar M6 1.6QR speakers 120 wpc which plenty for the volumes at which l listen.

Sonic Frontiers LINE 1 with weird but effective remote control ...

Monarch SM-70 Pro, (I've got a pair used as monoblocks) ...

Bogey

How would you describe your sound when using your previous Marantz, Billy Batson? ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Fëanor

Quote from: Bogey on May 15, 2009, 09:31:36 PM
How would you describe your sound when using your previous Marantz, Billy Batson? ;)

Well, the Marantz of the era where generally slightly warm, with strong if slightly lush bass.  They were smoother balanced and less "forward" than, say, Yamaha.  Many considered the latter to be bright, even sharp, but not so the Marantz.  On the Marantz end of the spectrum was Sansui; Pioneer as is generally judge to be in the middle.

Coopmv

Quote from: Feanor on May 16, 2009, 04:06:09 AM
Well, the Marantz of the era where generally slightly warm, with strong if slightly lush bass.  They were smoother balanced and less "forward" than, say, Yamaha.  Many considered the latter to be bright, even sharp, but not so the Marantz.  On the Marantz end of the spectrum was Sansui; Pioneer as is generally judge to be in the middle.

The only Marantz gear I have ever owned was a second-generation CD player, which was built like a tank and made in Japan.  I still have one of the two Pioneer quad receivers at the house (but unused).  My Yamaha bidirectional record/play cassette deck came back from a repair shop in Chicago a few years ago and I have yet to check it out.  Talking about lack of time ...  LOL

Valentino

Sometimes my world revolves at 33 1/3 rpm, but mostly the old SOTA is just sitting pretty.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on May 16, 2009, 06:02:40 AM

Sometimes my world revolves at 33 1/3 rpm, but mostly the old SOTA is just sitting pretty.

Sota TT always has a nice natural-wood plinth ...

Valentino

Mine is so old that it has a vinyl top. Nowadays they use wood (solid and veneer) on the complete chassis.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on May 16, 2009, 06:12:48 AM
Mine is so old that it has a vinyl top. Nowadays they use wood (solid and veneer) on the complete chassis.

I thought Sota TT has had a wooden top for some times.  Sota went into bankruptcy a number of years ago, it may no longer be owned by the original founder ...

Valentino

That's right, but the current upmarket designs par one are refinements of the original Sapphire and later Star. www.sotaturntables.com.

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on May 16, 2009, 09:00:16 AM
That's right, but the current upmarket designs par one are refinements of the original Sapphire and later Star. www.sotaturntables.com.

Now how does VAT work on American imports since the US does not have a VAT system to begin with?  Your friendly importer in Norway just slapped the import duty on the Sota TT's retail price in lieu of a VAT?

Valentino

Oh, I bought mine used for youwouldn'tbelievehowlittle, and the bits I needed for it came diretly from SOTA.

drogulus

Here's my vintage setup, bought in the mid '70s and sold in the early '80s:

Soundcraftsmen 2217 Preamp Equalizer

McIntosh MC 2105 Amplifier

Ohm F Speakers

If you question the inclusion of the equalizer remember that the ideology that forbade them didn't even exist in 1976. Equalizers were evaluated like tone controls, for their effectiveness and absence of phase shift. A young person teleported to those days would be shocked at the commonsensical way equipment was viewed. Only those components which could plausibly be said to have a sound had sounds attributed to them. So the sound of the amps here could be said to derive from the power the amp delivered to the speakers (in this case extremely demanding ones), as well as the effect of the EQ I used, which was typically a boost in the low bass and razor flat above that.

The sound overall was the best I have ever heard, and I attribute that entirely to the Ohm F's. The McIntosh contributed the ability to exceed it's power ratings. The preamp did what it was supposed to do. The room had high ceilings and was squarish, and music sounded good in it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Coopmv

Quote from: drogulus on May 16, 2009, 09:58:35 AM

Ohm F Speakers

The driver design of the Ohm speaker has always fascinated me ...

Fëanor

Quote from: drogulus on May 16, 2009, 09:58:35 AM
     Here's my vintage setup, bought in the mid '70s and sold in the early '80s:

Soundcraftsmen 2217 Preamp Equalizer

McIntosh MC 2105 Amplifier

Ohm F Speakers

Hah!  Terrific. I owned a pair of Ohm F between about 1976 and 1980 -- they were great speakers and it is one of my greatest hi-fi regrets to day that I sold them to  by a pair of crappy B&W DM7's.

Coopmv

Quote from: Feanor on May 16, 2009, 12:06:01 PM
Hah!  Terrific. I owned a pair of Ohm F between about 1976 and 1980 -- they were great speakers and it is one of my greatest hi-fi regrets to day that I sold them to  by a pair of crappy B&W DM7's.

I think the B&W 800 (Matrix?) series were great speakers, even Karajan used those speakers to monitor his recordings in the studio ....

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on May 16, 2009, 12:20:07 PM
You gotta love those apples!

I prefer this Mac over the Mac made by Apple ...   ;D

drogulus

Quote from: Coopmv on May 16, 2009, 12:13:58 PM
I think the B&W 800 (Matrix?) series were great speakers, even Karajan used those speakers to monitor his recordings in the studio ....

B&W Matrix 800 series speakers were the recording studio monitors of choice for many years and there are no doubt many that are still being used today.  The DM 7's were a less expensive, smaller speaker which had the same tweeter as the Matrix line. I still own a pair of DM 310's from the early 90's, even smaller speakers that also use the version of the Matrix tweeter found in the 800's.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Coopmv

Quote from: drogulus on May 16, 2009, 12:34:40 PM
     B&W Matrix 800 series speakers were the recording studio monitors of choice for many years and there are no doubt many that are still being used today.  The DM 7's were a less expensive, smaller speaker which had the same tweeter as the Matrix line. I still own a pair of DM 310's from the early 90's, even smaller speakers that also use the version of the Matrix tweeter found in the 800's.

Unlike KEF, Quad and Mission, which are now outright owned by the Chinese with all their models made in China,  B&W is still English-owned and the high-end models are still made in the UK.  Your DM 310's are no doubt English-made.