What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on July 05, 2009, 04:03:11 AM
There is no chance a set up like this will work in my house due to the amount of furniture my wife and I have.  You have a CJ amp just like mine.  Is it the MF2500A?
Yep. With a Wadia 302 and Dali Euphonia MS5s. The key is to have a dedicated room (or no wife) - though I have Vienna Beethovens in the living room (and a wife). The small speaker you see is one of a pair of twoway Ushers bound for my summer cottage.

Coopmv

71 dB

For some reason I can't get this page 27 of this thread with Opera or Fifefox. Seems like I can post thou...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Valentino

Same here with Firefox.
Page 26 fine, 27 is not.

I'm contemplating on

1) Follow the Linkwitz lead and sell my last pair of box loudspeakers.
2) Go PC-based for crossovers, with an 8ch DAC.

We'll see. Good Siegfried has more to him than a great name.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

PP 25 of this thread is a blackhole?   ???           

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on May 31, 2009, 12:45:10 AM
That's the lovely thing with a Helmholz. It works at it's tuning frequency. It's bass reflex without a driver.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/helmholtz-resonant-absorber

The thread lists pp 27 is available but when I clicked on the page, it came up blank ...    ???

Dancing Divertimentian

I have the same problem with pg.27. Posting now but no clue if anything will come of it.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

The posts from the black hole.

July 05, 2009, 07:13:48 AM:
Quote from: Erato
Quote from: Coopmv on July 05, 2009, 07:03:11 AM
"There is no chance a set up like this will work in my house due to the amount of furniture my wife and I have.  You have a CJ amp just like mine.  Is it the MF2500A?"

Yep. With a Wadia 302 and Dali Euphonia MS5s. The key is to have a dedicated room (or no wife) - though I have Vienna Beethovens in the living room (and a wife). The small speaker you see is one of a pair of twoway Ushers bound for my summer cottage.

August 01, 2009, 06:39:25 AM
Quote from: Coopmv
Check out this interesting link on open-reel decks, I posted mine there not long ago (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=188529&goto=newpost)

August 08, 2009, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: CoopmvA Krell integrated amp at $2,500 sounds mighty attractive, until I look at the back panel - made in China.  Even a proud high-end audio equipment maker based in CT like Krell has to move some of its manufacturing to China, it is just discouraging.  Question is what Krell can do with the legendary Chinese corners-cutting manufacturing that will end up hurting its image?

Sharper picture ...

August 09, 2009, 01:41:01 AM
Quote from: Daverz
New speakers below, Vandersteen Quatros, in my living room.  I still have the NHT Xds, and may recycle them as rear channel speakers.

August 09, 2009, 04:46:13 AM
Quote from: 71dB
For some reason I can't get this page 27 of this thread with Opera or Fifefox. Seems like I can post thou...  :P

August 09, 2009, 08:45:54 AM
Quote from: Valentino
Same here with Firefox.
Page 26 fine, 27 is not.

I'm contemplating on

1) Follow the Linkwitz lead and sell my last pair of box loudspeakers.
2) Go PC-based for crossovers, with an 8ch DAC.

We'll see. Good Siegfried has more to him than a great name.

August 09, 2009, 09:26:09 AM
PP 25 of this thread is a blackhole?   ???  

August 09, 2009, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: Valentino on May 31, 2009, 03:45:10 AM
"That's the lovely thing with a Helmholz. It works at it's tuning frequency. It's bass reflex without a driver.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/acoustics-principles/helmholtz-resonant-absorber"

The thread lists pp 27 is available but when I clicked on the page, it came up blank ...    ???

August 09, 2009, 01:39:18 PM
Quote from: Daverz
Quote from: Coopmv on May 29, 2009, 08:46:34 PM
"Dunlavy is no longer in business?"

Never could find an arrangement for them in my new place that would really let them sing.   I guess I'll sell them eventually.

August 09, 2009, 09:59:45 PM
Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian

I have the same problem with pg.27. Posting now but no clue if anything will come of it.

[NOTE FROM MODERATOR: I've tinkered a bit more with the thread and managed to delete the post which the forum software couldn't handle (it couldn't have been a fault of the post itself, I think it was just something random, overheating or whatever ;D ;D) - it's now in red above. Sorry for the crude method (deleting a post) but, hey, the thread works again! Unfortunately, my method was trial-by-error and the Daverz post now in blue above was a casualty. Sorry for that. Enjoy the revived thread. Cheers, Maciek]

DavidW

yeah sure thing, you do that, and I'll immediately repeat what you did but with my long post a few times and that should get us back out of the p27 hole. :)

Herman

I suspect someone posted a hu-uge picture of his hu-uge audio system, with cables as thick as python snakes and speakers like refrigerators on page 27 and it just snapped the GMG-server (if there is such a thing).

Valentino

The GMG-server runs off an audiophile-grade power cable (if it ain't a cable, it aint audiophile-grade). What do you expect?
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

At least I can now read what I posted on pp 27.  I noticed besides my post, a few other posts have gone into that blackhole as well ...    :o

Daverz

No python snakes in my system, I use 2 runs of 14 AWG zipcord per side (but pretty blue zipcord!)

Valentino

Would you care to repeat what those loudspeakers are, Daverz?
A view to a Michell is always a good one, btw.

I had hifi-visitors in June, and they took some pictures:

But I might sell this off and start to use open baffle dipoles instead, as mentioned.

Herman

Looks nice, Valentino. Simple and pleasant. Lots of light.

Valentino

Daverz

Quote from: Valentino on August 14, 2009, 04:54:07 AM
Would you care to repeat what those loudspeakers are, Daverz?

They're Vandersteen Quatros.  You may be able to make out the outline of the tweeter, midrange, and woofer under the fabric.  There is a powered subwoofer in the base with two downfiring 8 inch drivers.  On the back you can see the 11 band bass equalizer, contour and level controls for the subwoofer.

Scarpia

QuoteA Krell integrated amp at $2,500 sounds mighty attractive, until I look at the back panel - made in China.  Even a proud high-end audio equipment maker based in CT like Krell has to move some of its manufacturing to China, it is just discouraging.  Question is what Krell can do with the legendary Chinese corners-cutting manufacturing that will end up hurting its image?

So pessimistic.  Look on the bright side.  That Chinese manufacturer will probably steal the design and manufacturer the exact same amplifier with a different face plate.  By next year it will be at BestBuy for $129.99 plus tax.   ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on August 14, 2009, 11:55:36 AM
So pessimistic.  Look on the bright side.  That Chinese manufacturer will probably steal the design and manufacturer the exact same amplifier with a different face plate.  By next year it will be at BestBuy for $129.99 plus tax.   ;D

I have zero interests in bootleg products. 

I just set up a vintage stereo system in the guest room to open up the upstairs music room a bit since three stereo systems were crammed into that room.  This vintage system has the following components.

Harman Kardon hk825 preamp
Tandberg 3003 amp
Carver TX2 tuner
Sony CA8ES CD changer
Yamaha KX-R730 cassette deck
KLH Premier 81

These are excellent American, Norwegian and Japanese made equipments.  The Norwegian-made Tandberg amp is almost 30-year old but it still sounds great.

Valentino