What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Cristofori on December 28, 2009, 06:52:15 PM
Right, you can still get a partial benefit from multi-channel without having to get the surrounds, which is the part that complicates things the most, as your situation an example. You'll just be missing the surround info, which you wouldn't have anyway if you were just using stereo.

As far as the HT Processor and the 7 power amps goes, all that stuff is over my head. I just use a conventional HI-FI system.

Also, I wouldn't bother with any kind of "fake surround" type set up. That type of stuff will almost always make your system sound worse. There is no substitute for proper surround speakers.

I just may go with the three channel approach since I listen to a lot of choral music and for SACD, the center channel is where you get most of the voice "info".  I also have a good number of classical concerts on 5.1 DVD, guess I will not be able to appreciate the full audio effects.    :(

jlaurson

Quote from: Cristofori on December 28, 2009, 06:32:05 PM
I'm still open on the speakers end of it though. Funny, you mentioned it. I was considered looking at the B&W CM5's. I used to have a pair of B&W 601 S3 bookshelves, and they were great!

Marantz build-quality is amazing. The 11S1 felt like a luxury vehicle... rock solid, sturdy. It made me as happy when it was just sitting there as it did, playing. Too bad it didn't sound all that much greater than the gear I had.  :D

I might condone anyone not caring too much about sampling a source before they buy... if it's good stuff it will be good--the more important matters about players are in any case button-press response time, CD-read delay, and error correction. The rest is marginal nuance, assuming it's properly built. Speakers I can only urge anyone to sample before purchase. At the price of getting two--much less five--speakers of the type of a B&W CM5, it's well worth making it a two-day holiday to the nearest big city where an audio dealer lets you use their room to sample and even compare. (If that's what it takes.)

What bothered me about the CM5s was their strong tendency to make everything sound beautiful, to flatter the ear, to smoothen the whole picture. But unfortunately smooth also means a slight smudge, and I was driven nuts by what I felt were speakers that tried to 'put one over me'. I wasn't buying the beauty... I wanted radical truth. B&W is a mainstream sound... perfect for background music and a very broad palette of music. The Thiel SCS4 was a wee bit awkward with with music like Salif Keita. I can't remember the other US American monitor I tried... also very, very impressive and perhaps 'better' in the all-round sense--but the accuracy of the SCS4 had me totally enchanted for the last listening session.

In any case, if I'd want beautification, I much prefer the 'luxurious' type... Sonus Faber (Liuto Monitor)  or Sonics Argenta... or the classic cool, but not exaggerated, detail of Canton (Reference 9.2DC, Vento 820)

Valentino

Quote from: Coopmv on December 28, 2009, 08:35:03 AM
So these speakers are specialized for hooking up to computer soundcard?   They certainly look much larger than my Altec Lansing setellites ...
Yes, the system needs computer software and 8 DAC channels to function.

There is an "analog" equivalent out there, the Linkwitz Lab Orion++, which also was the main inspiration for this project.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on December 28, 2009, 10:32:33 PM
Yes, the system needs computer software and 8 DAC channels to function.

There is an "analog" equivalent out there, the Linkwitz Lab Orion++, which also was the main inspiration for this project.

Have you managed much space saving by going all digital?  I have NEVER stepped into a Scandinavian home and have no clue as to what the typical size of an average house in your part of the world is (even though I have visited Scandinavia a few times as a tourist).

Valentino

I till have the same Montana cabinet for elecronics and such, but there is less electronics in it now. I decorate with box sets, like HM50, the Solti Ring and DG111.  ;D
The main benefit by going all digital is to do all signal processing in the digital domain. With digital you can do anything.

As for living space in Scandinavia I do not think it really matters. To get proper sound speakers need to be at least 1m (3ft+) from any wall, so the room should be 250 sq ft or more. No big deal in the US, or?

Addendum one month later  ::)

Scandinavian Modern rules OK.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Valentino

Adding this little flowchart of how my new system works. Nothing to be scared of, it doesn't bite or kick.

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on January 31, 2010, 05:29:17 AM
Adding this little flowchart of how my new system works. Nothing to be scared of, it doesn't bite or kick.

Very nice!  I am going retro, as I am seriously considering getting either a McIntosh or an Audio Research tube amp.  There really is not a lot of reason for me to go 100% digital since I already have a pretty good-sized classical library of traditional media - from LP to open-reel to cassette and CD.  MP3's do not count, even though I have a huge number of them as well.

George

Dark Angel- What make and model speakers do you own? Mine are designed the same way, with the tweeter in the center and two larger speakers on either side. Mine are Polk Audio Monitor 40s:

DarkAngel

George
My speakers are custom made by Tyler Acoustics USA the Linbrook Signature Monitors, very expensive but sound great. Those are Seas Millenium soft dome tweeters, very nice

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/

DavidW

Quote from: George on February 13, 2010, 05:41:36 AM
Dark Angel- What make and model speakers do you own? Mine are designed the same way, with the tweeter in the center and two larger speakers on either side. Mine are Polk Audio Monitor 40s:

I have Polk Audio Monitors as well, but towers.  I think that just DA's speaker stands are more expensive than our low-fi speakers! :D

George

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2010, 06:30:19 AM
I have Polk Audio Monitors as well, but towers.  I think that just DA's speaker stands are more expensive than our low-fi speakers! :D

;D

I love my Polks! Which ones do you have?

Scarpia

Very happy with Polk LSi9's which are the basis of my 5.1 surround system.

Also have a pair of Polk RTi70's which for 2-channel media.

The RTi70's are driven by an old school NAD 2200 power amp, and a NAD 1155 pre-amp

In the basement have an old pair of ADS L810 speakers, Sound good but just too big.

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2010, 06:30:19 AM

You need to strike a balance.  Having a great sound system but without a decent-sized collection of good music also defeats the purpose.  While some would argue speakers are important, I think electronics are quite important as well.

The new erato

In my music room I got a pair of these:

Dali Euphonia MS5

In the living room, I use these:

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on February 13, 2010, 10:47:45 PM

Dali Euphonia MS5

In the living room, I use these:

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven

Erato, you must have large listening room at your house.  I can never have such large speakers at my house since I already have had the Definitive Technology BP20's since 95 ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: erato on February 13, 2010, 10:47:45 PM

Dali Euphonia MS5

It looks painfully beautiful.  :D

The new erato

28 sqm music room - the secret here is being able to position the speakers optimally in a room with no other use than listening to music. So they are set up well away from walls in an approximately equilateral triangle with 3 m sides.

55 sqm living room, the Viennas are an easy placement there.