What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on February 14, 2010, 05:27:02 AM
28 sqm music room - the secret here is being able to position the speakers optimally in a room with no other use than listening to music. So they are set up well away from walls in an approximately equilateral triangle with 3 m sides.

55 sqm living room, the Viennas are an easy placement there.

My listening room is probably 20' x 20', which is about 36 sqm.  The BP20's, which are bipolar and just right for a room of such size.

George

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2010, 05:40:24 AM
My listening room is probably 20' x 20', which is about 36 sqm.  The BP20's, which are bipolar and just right for a room of such size.

Yeah, but the medication bills must be expensive...

;)

Bogey

Beogram TX2 Turntable with an MMC 3 cartridge was just given to me for free. Is this a better option than my Project 3 than I am now using? Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on April 10, 2010, 12:34:18 PM
Beogram TX2 Turntable with an MMC 3 cartridge was just given to me for free. Is this a better option than my Project 3 than I am now using? Thanks!

Sounds like it's time for a shootout. maybe plug both into an amp with an LP that you have two copies of playing on each, so you can switch back and forth.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 10, 2010, 12:34:18 PM

Bill, I had the B&O TX and that was a pretty problematic linear-tracking TT due to some design flaws.  My understanding is TX2 should be a vast improvement over TX.  Project 3 has a conventional pivoted arm while TX2 is a linear-tracker, which traverses the record in much the same way the record is cut.  In theory, it should be more accurate.  MMC3 is also an excellent cartridge - it is a plug-in, no cartridge cables to mess around with.  If you got the TX2 for free, I say enjoy it ...

Bogey

Quote from: Coopmv on April 10, 2010, 12:41:25 PM
Bill, I had the B&O TX and that was a pretty problematic linear-tracking TT due to some design flaws.  My understanding is TX2 should be a vast improvement over TX.  Project 3 has a conventional pivoted arm while TX2 is a linear-tracker, which traverses the record in much the same way the record is cut.  In theory, it should be more accurate.  MMC3 is also an excellent cartridge - it is a plug-in, no cartridge cables to mess around with.  If you got the TX2 for free, I say enjoy it ...

Do you remember the silver disc you set on to, Stuart?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 10, 2010, 01:06:25 PM
Do you remember the silver disc you set on to, Stuart?

Did you mean the TT platter?

Bogey

Quote from: Coopmv on April 10, 2010, 01:09:00 PM
Did you mean the TT platter?

Yes.  Figured it out.  However, there seems to be a clear guard on the needle.  Does that just pop off?

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 10, 2010, 01:25:19 PM
Yes.  Figured it out.  However, there seems to be a clear guard on the needle.  Does that just pop off?

Bill, You just push the stylus guard upward when you play your record.  I just looked at my MMC2 cartridge.

Bogey

Quote from: Coopmv on April 10, 2010, 01:32:11 PM
Bill, You just push the stylus guard upward when you play your record.  I just looked at my MMC2 cartridge.

Many, many, thanks, Stuart!

Bogey

Daverz

You might want to have the local audio shop check the stylus if you don't know how much play it has on it.

http://www.sound-smith.com/

makes replacement cartridges.

Bogey

Quote from: Daverz on April 10, 2010, 01:39:20 PM
You might want to have the local audio shop check the stylus if you don't know how much play it has on it.

http://www.sound-smith.com/

makes replacement cartridges.

Do they have replacements for this tt, Daverz?

Bogey

Ah....found it!  Thanks for the link.  Great to know there are some out there.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 10, 2010, 01:42:54 PM
Do they have replacements for this tt, Daverz?

Dave beat me to SoundSmith, which is not far from my house.  SoundSmith specializes in servicing certain vintage equipments such as Tandberg and B&O.  I have a few Tandberg and my B&O 8002 has some speed sensor problem, which causes it to shut off in the middle of play.  Someone recommended some part replacements from Denmark to fix the problem but that requires me to do some soldering, which I am not comfortable with ...   ???

petrarch

My system is listed on my signature, and there's a pic of it there.

Earlier this year I sold my 4-year old Martin Logan Vantage speakers and bought a pair of Analysis Audio Amphitryon, which I've auditioned a couple of years ago and knew that I'd get them at some point. Big step up financially but it was definitely worth it. Next step will be upgrading amplification, probably to tube monoblocks (or at least solid-state monoblocks but undoubtedly with a reference tube preamp). After that I might eventually upgrade my CD player to an Esoteric P-03/D-03.

Right now the system plays really really well, especially after tube-rolling my amp. The upgrades above are firmly on the diminishing returns side of things, but it's not unlike the never ending quest for the best rendition of a musical work, so I know that I'll end up doing them, however long it takes.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Daverz

Borrowed this guy from the audio shop for the weekend:

The BAT VK-55SE, which uses 6H30 tubes.  55 watts, which is plenty for my room.  Really much more than I'd want to pay for an amp, though.  There is a cheaper non-SE version that uses 6922 tubes.  Enjoying the extra demensionality, but the bass seems a bit too warmish.  May be able to mitigate that by adjusting my Vandy's bass EQ.

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on May 22, 2010, 04:45:14 PM
Borrowed this guy from the audio shop for the weekend:

The BAT VK-55SE, which uses 6H30 tubes.  55 watts, which is plenty for my room.  Really much more than I'd want to pay for an amp, though.  There is a cheaper non-SE version that uses 6922 tubes.  Enjoying the extra demensionality, but the bass seems a bit too warmish.  May be able to mitigate that by adjusting my Vandy's bass EQ.

I have been considering a tube-amp ...

Daverz

Quote from: Coopmv on May 22, 2010, 04:51:50 PM
I have been considering a tube-amp ...

BAT has excellent customer service.  I also like that their non "SE" stuff is designed to work with Electro Harmonix 6922 tubes, which are quiet and relatively cheap current production tubes.  But as to whether their stuff sounds better than the cheap Chinese amps, I can't say.

Valentino

Certainly looks good, though.

But it's not for me, since all of my electronics are hidden except for this little gadget:

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma