What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: Valentino on May 22, 2010, 10:01:32 PM
this little gadget:

That's my source for 99% of listening these days, with the coaxial out feeding the DAC in a Cambridge Audio 840C, and controlled by an iPod Touch with the iPeng app.  I feel guilty about my turntable sitting idle so much, partly because I'm too lazy to clean records.

The funny thing is that I use the blank screensaver and never use the touch interface.

snyprrr

For what it's worth, I've alwaaaaaays listened to cheap boomboxes and hand-me-down stereos. :o Yes, I'm sure I don't know what I'm missing!

And, iIf you think that's shocking you should see my SocialSecurityStatement, haha!! ::)

Coopmv

Quote from: snyprrr on May 28, 2010, 09:14:25 AM
For what it's worth, I've alwaaaaaays listened to cheap boomboxes and hand-me-down stereos. :o Yes, I'm sure I don't know what I'm missing!

And, iIf you think that's shocking you should see my SocialSecurityStatement, haha!! ::)

Karajan and the BPO may not sound as good on a boombox, but it is still good music.  Multiple big rigs in a home, as in my case, do have their drawback - they take up a lot of room.

SonicMan46

Quote from: snyprrr on May 28, 2010, 09:14:25 AM

Snyprrr - as my son use to say as a boy, are you speaking true?   ;) ;D

I listen to a LOT of my new acquisitions on the 'boombox' in my office or on a portable CD player (an old Sony) on the road, but I must say that the difference on my den stereo system (and relatively inexpensive) is substantial - I usually don't offer an opinion until hearing a disc the standard way?  But, just my opinion - Dave  :)

Daverz

I sometimes find myself enjoying music more in the car than I do at home where I often want to tweak and fuss about with things.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on May 29, 2010, 05:25:26 PM
I sometimes find myself enjoying music more in the car than I do at home where I often want to tweak and fuss about with things.

Dave - LOL!  ;D  We take a LOT of car trips but I usually bring along non-classical music; the speed and road noise just warrants a limited dynamics for me at least - classical music just varies so much in its dynamic range that I cannot enjoy - a recent example was a trip to Charleston, SC - took along about 8 discs from the box shown below, which I absolutely love in my den, but on the road, just not as fun?  I guess that if I could 'rip' music off a classical CD w/ a more compressed dynamic range that an 'in car' experience would be fine?  Dave  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on May 29, 2010, 04:38:19 PM
Snyprrr - as my son use to say as a boy, are you speaking true?   ;) ;D

I listen to a LOT of my new acquisitions on the 'boombox' in my office or on a portable CD player (an old Sony) on the road, but I must say that the difference on my den stereo system (and relatively inexpensive) is substantial - I usually don't offer an opinion until hearing a disc the standard way?  But, just my opinion - Dave  :)

On a long road trip, I usually bring along such recordings as Ride of the Valkyries - the heavy duty Wagnerian overtures, 1812 Overture, etc. so I can blast the music since I am usually the one who ends up driving.    ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on May 29, 2010, 06:00:15 PM
On a long road trip, I usually bring along such recordings as Ride of the Valkyries - the heavy duty Wagnerian overtures, 1812 Overture, etc. so I can blast the music since I am usually the one who ends up driving.    ;D

Stuart - when Harpo & I travel, I'm the driver always, i.e. want to get to the destination ASAP!  ;D

Well, we must agree on the 'car' music, so over the years, I've ripped a bunch of CD-Rs of music that is agreeable to both of us, and usually not classical - some country & a lot of popular music from our past (e.g. Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Mel Torme, Amanda McBroom, et al) - Mel is one of her favorite singers - plus, a CR-R can hold up to 70 mins or more from multiple CDS, so pick your favs!  Road 'peace' w/ the wife is the best solution for me -  ;)   :D  Dave 

snyprrr

I'm doing most of the listening on the road right now, and, I've noticed that the first benefit is that I actually listen to the music! In front of the computer or muted TV, or whatever else, I won't be able to concentrate; but, in the car, somehow (haha) I'm compelled.

I'll be like,... huh, never heard that before...

Plus, I'm always waiting for a storm to break out the Pettersson!! 8) Driving in the rain to Pettersson, hahah, ahhhh....

greg

Quote from: snyprrr on May 29, 2010, 10:37:39 PM
Plus, I'm always waiting for a storm to break out the Pettersson!! 8) Driving in the rain to Pettersson, hahah, ahhhh....
Nice.  :D
Even better, an extremely gray day with a tornado in the distance.

Scarpia

Quote from: snyprrr on May 29, 2010, 10:37:39 PM
I'm doing most of the listening on the road right now, and, I've noticed that the first benefit is that I actually listen to the music! In front of the computer or muted TV, or whatever else, I won't be able to concentrate; but, in the car, somehow (haha) I'm compelled.

You never considered listening to music without the computer or muted TV?

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan on May 29, 2010, 05:47:19 PM
I guess that if I could 'rip' music off a classical CD w/ a more compressed dynamic range that an 'in car' experience would be fine?  Dave  :)

I've actually experimented with this Dave and YES!  I found that if you rip your cd to wav, and then fire up audacity, normalize the volume and them compress the dynamic range by 2:1 (radios usually use 10:1) it will sound audibly louder without too much of a compromise of audio quality for the car.  Now you can then burn on a cd or encode the new wavs to mp3, up to you.  But that radio-fy technique works, seriously give it a try. :)

drogulus

Quote from: DavidW on May 30, 2010, 09:22:56 AM
I've actually experimented with this Dave and YES!  I found that if you rip your cd to wav, and then fire up audacity, normalize the volume and them compress the dynamic range by 2:1 (radios usually use 10:1) it will sound audibly louder without too much of a compromise of audio quality for the car.  Now you can then burn on a cd or encode the new wavs to mp3, up to you.  But that radio-fy technique works, seriously give it a try. :)

I think that's a really good idea. Some portable players might have decent limiter settings, so you wouldn't even have to mod the files. But if not you could make up a library of music fine-tuned to sound good in your car, then either burn to disc or load into your portable and run through the aux port.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Quote from: SonicMan on May 29, 2010, 05:47:19 PM
the speed and road noise just warrants a limited dynamics for me

I just listen to the radio in the car, usually KPBS or KUSC when I can pick it up.  It's already compressed, and it's nice to have someone else choosing the music.

Fëanor

Yahoooo!  Blu-ray operas and music here I come!

My new HDTV and Blu-ray system is diagrammed below. (The speakers I've had for a while but the other stuff is new.)

Very unfortunately this system doesn't provide for SACD of DVD-A playback, so further upgrades might be forthcoming.

petrarch

Congrats, hope you get many many hours of enjoyment on it!

I don't really care about video or surround (that's why my system is strictly stereo--and very, very good at it) but I can relate to the utter satisfaction of piecing all components together and getting to "that" place where you can lose yourself in the music, with or without visuals.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Fëanor

Quote from: petrArch on June 10, 2010, 10:36:14 AM
Congrats, hope you get many many hours of enjoyment on it!

I don't really care about video or surround (that's why my system is strictly stereo--and very, very good at it) but I can relate to the utter satisfaction of piecing all components together and getting to "that" place where you can lose yourself in the music, with or without visuals.
Thank you and it's a magnificent stereo system you have indeed, petrArch.  I'm envious, (although my own stereo setup is more than decent; see the link below).

Multi-channel should cannot be easily dismissed.  Given equivalent equipment quality, precise setup, and, needless to say, very good recordings, it will do what stereo simply cannot by way of reproducing a convincing concert hall ambience.

Scarpia

Quote from: Feanor on June 10, 2010, 11:27:01 AMMulti-channel should cannot be easily dismissed.  Given equivalent equipment quality, precise setup, and, needless to say, very good recordings, it will do what stereo simply cannot by way of reproducing a convincing concert hall ambience.

I generally agree, although the superiority of surround is by no means to be taken for granted.  Some of the Chandos recordings (I'm thinking of Hickox/Vaughan Williams) I have heard strike me as more diffuse and less satisfactory than stereo versions.  But there are others, like the Janowski/Brahms on Pentatone, are breathtaking in their realism.

DavidW

I've heard great things about that Panasonic S2 Feonor, I hope that you enjoy it. :)

petrarch

Quote from: Feanor on June 10, 2010, 11:27:01 AM
Thank you and it's a magnificent stereo system you have indeed, petrArch.  I'm envious, (although my own stereo setup is more than decent; see the link below).

Yes, it is a more than decent system indeed. Although nothing really beats big, huge panels ;). Unfortunately the sound of Maggies never really did it for me, and I really tried to like the 20.1.

Quote from: Feanor on June 10, 2010, 11:27:01 AMMulti-channel should cannot be easily dismissed.  Given equivalent equipment quality, precise setup, and, needless to say, very good recordings, it will do what stereo simply cannot by way of reproducing a convincing concert hall ambience.

That is partly true, as you can more easily get it with surround sound. But I can tell you I get a convincing concert hall ambience with my system (and that is by no means exclusive or unique to it, as I also got it on past auditions of other components at certain dealers). It's all about the room.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole