What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on November 06, 2010, 10:08:26 AM
;D

Any-who, another of the vendors also discussed how nice it was to switch tracks quickly for folks popping in and out of the rooms (150+) in order to accommodate their tastes more easily....however, not much rock and roll played unless you brought it with you.

Oh, and just a side note:  One of the dealers discussed how their system was upgraded with the $2,000 set of cables that they were using.  These things looked like pythons coming out of the back....along with the ceramic holders that lifted the cables off of the ground. >:D

Those who sell $2K audio cables are snake oil salesmen IMO ...

Daverz

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 24, 2007, 01:02:23 PM
iPod/Computer/Vehicle

I have a home stereo but never use it.  Maybe because it's in the same room as the TV.  ;D

Kill your TV!

Coopmv

I have iNothing ...  Not one Apple product at my house ...    ;D

Daverz

Oh, and just a side note:  One of the dealers discussed how their system was upgraded with the $2,000 set of cables that they were using.  These things looked like pythons coming out of the back....along with the ceramic holders that lifted the cables off of the ground. >:D

My local dealer has similar cables on risers.  I like to tease them about it.  I'm sure it's easy to believe in this stuff when the margins may be keeping the business afloat.  They are using them, BTW, to hook up some PSB Synchrony Ones to a huge BAT amp.  The speakers sound fantastic.  Makes me wish I'd given the Synchrony Ones more consideration.  As much as I love my Vandies, I sometimes wish for a less fussy speaker.

I am using some "audiophile" speaker cables in my own system.  They are the cheapest Audioquest Slate cables terminated by Audio Advisor.  I thought I did hear an improvement, but if real, it may have been because of my crimping and soldering job and the terminators I chose.  If I move my amp, I'll probably go back to making my own cables rather than buy longer runs of Slate.

petrarch

along with the ceramic holders that lifted the cables off of the ground. >:D

Have you tried lifting your cables off the floor? Depending on the cable it might produce a very noticeable difference. It did on mine, when I just out of curiosity grabbed a dozen CD jewel cases, partly opened the lid and got them on their sides so that they stood vertically and finally laid the cables on top.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Scarpia

Quote from: petrArch on November 06, 2010, 05:54:01 PM
Have you tried lifting your cables off the floor? Depending on the cable it might produce a very noticeable difference. It did on mine, when I just out of curiosity grabbed a dozen CD jewel cases, partly opened the lid and got them on their sides so that they stood vertically and finally laid the cables on top.

And what conceivable physical mechanism is there for this?

petrarch

Quote from: Scarpia on November 06, 2010, 05:59:51 PM
And what conceivable physical mechanism is there for this?

It all depends on how isolating the outer jacket of the cable is. Some cables are designed with little or no isolation.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Bogey

I have not lifted mine.  Thir cost is less than your empty cd cases. 8)

Ok.  Next question.  Where do you fall on speaker spikes?

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

drogulus

Quote from: Bogey on November 06, 2010, 06:34:37 PM

Tower of London?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

petrarch

I noticed a difference when moving from non-spiked feet to spikes when I had a pair of Martin Logan Vantages. They ship with both types of feet, the non-spiked ones to be used until the final position of the speakers in the room is found. I was also using a slab of polished granite under each speaker.

Nowadays I don't use spikes on my speakers because their bases were not designed with spikes in mind, and the speakers are too big and too heavy for an improvised solution.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Coopmv

I just go for those supplied by the speaker manufacturer.  If your listening area is carpeted, your speakers must have spikes or your bass will be muffled IMO ...

Daverz

Quote from: Coopmv on November 06, 2010, 07:10:15 PM
I just go for those supplied by the speaker manufacturer.  If your listening area is carpeted, your speakers must have spikes or your bass will be muffled IMO ...

Definitely, you want to the base of the speakers to clear the carpet.

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on November 06, 2010, 07:14:39 PM

But I doubt the kind of metal used to make the spikes should cause any sonic difference, say brass vs. steel.

Scarpia

Quote from: petrArch on November 06, 2010, 06:03:52 PM
It all depends on how isolating the outer jacket of the cable is. Some cables are designed with little or no isolation.

Isolation from what?

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Scarpia

Quote from: petrArch on November 06, 2010, 07:40:42 PM
Electrical isolation.

10 cent per foot zip cord has all of the electrical isolation that could possible be required.  Lifting the cable off the floor would provide an extra one part in a billion isolation.  Does someone claim they can hear that???

petrarch

Quote from: Scarpia on November 06, 2010, 10:17:20 PM
Lifting the cable off the floor would provide an extra one part in a billion isolation.

A very good example of pulling numbers off your arse!

Does someone claim they can hear that???

I hear it. My wife heard it without noticing what was done. All anecdotal evidence, but I couldn't care less.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Does someone claim they can hear that???

And while we're at it, I can hear differences in speaker cables, interconnects and (blimey!) power cables. Disclaimer: More expensive does not imply better.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on November 06, 2010, 07:14:39 PM

My speakers actually have little feet to keep the base off of the ground.  Bill if you don't have feet on your speakers, those little spikes are a good idea. :)

Scarpia

Quote from: petrArch on November 07, 2010, 12:21:01 AM
A very good example of pulling numbers off your arse!

No sir, off a digital volt meter.  Many times I have used a DVM to check continuity of a circuit.  If you measure the resistance between leads of a lamp cord you will read "infinity" on you meter, meaning it is over a billion Ohms.  Your speaker is 8 Ohms, maybe as low as 4 Ohms.  That means for every amp going into your speaker, less than in a billionth of an amp is leaking through the insulator.  If you have your cable on the floor, there may be another 1 part in a billion that can get to the floor.  If you suspend the cable, you eliminate the possible of that 1 part in a billion leaking to the floor.   That's where my number comes from. 

I'm assuming, of course, that your $2000 interconnect is as well insulated as 10 cent per foot lamp chord.  That may be an incorrect assumption, however.  Probably the deliberately leave the insulation off so they can selll you the cable suspenders for $100 each.   ;D