What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: George on November 08, 2010, 02:51:10 PM
The picture doesn't show it well, but the speaker front extends just past the front of the TV/Stereo rack.

I plan to get something shorter and less deep in the future, though.

That close it is probably skewing the soundstage.  I think if you move the equipment and CD racks you'll notice a difference.

George

Quote from: Daverz on November 08, 2010, 03:26:31 PM
That close it is probably skewing the soundstage.  I think if you move the equipment and CD racks you'll notice a difference.

Unfortunately I have no space. I can only get a smaller, less deep rack to get the TV and stereo lower and closer to the wall.

Daverz

Quote from: George on November 08, 2010, 03:46:39 PM
Unfortunately I have no space. I can only get a smaller, less deep rack to get the TV and stereo lower and closer to the wall.

I understand that, having lived in small apartments/studios.  If you still want to get the best out of the system, careful speaker placement is more effective than any other change you can make.  You might try arranging things along a different wall.

George

Quote from: Daverz on November 08, 2010, 04:21:03 PM
I understand that, having lived in small apartments/studios.  If you still want to get the best out of the system, careful speaker placement is more effective than any other change you can make.  You might try arranging things along a different wall.

Thanks, but one wall is a closet and the front door, another is all windows and the other one is CD shelving, floor to ceiling.  :-\  I'm in a studio apartment.

Daverz

Quote from: George on November 08, 2010, 04:30:03 PM
the other one is CD shelving, floor to ceiling.

Aha!  Nothing some hefty bags and trip to the dump can't cure.   8)

George

Quote from: Daverz on November 08, 2010, 05:53:07 PM
Aha!  Nothing some hefty bags and trip to the dump can't cure.   8)

No way, Jose.  :P

marvinbrown

Hello all,

I would like to know how frequently everyone here upgrades their audio system?  What do you do with the existing one you have? Is it easy to sell a used stereo system?

I can't help but feel that my current audio system (Monitor Audio BR1 speakers with a Denon RCD-M38DAB CD Receiver) is lacking in some way.  I would like to get more out of my Verdi/Wagner operas so I have been looking at floor standing speakers/amplifiers/cd players.   

marvin

petrarch

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 07, 2011, 03:36:22 AM
Is it easy to sell a used stereo system?

Check audiogon. I'm not planning to upgrade my system any time soon, though the next component in it I would upgrade would be the amp (to a pair of monoblocks, and probably tube).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Daverz

I don't sell stuff, so it tends to accumulate.  The only exception is the stuff my dealer took in trade for an upgrade.

marvinbrown

Quote from: petrarch on June 07, 2011, 05:45:23 AM
Check audiogon. I'm not planning to upgrade my system any time soon, though the next component in it I would upgrade would be the amp (to a pair of monoblocks, and probably tube).

Thank you for referring me to audiogon! I didn't know speciality sites like this existed for used stereo systems.

I clicked on the link you posted to see your stereo system and I am very impressed with your speakers! They must produce "walls" of sound!

marvin

Scarpia

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 07, 2011, 03:36:22 AM

Hello all,

I would like to know how frequently everyone here upgrades their audio system?  What do you do with the existing one you have? Is it easy to sell a used stereo system?

I've sold unwanted stuff on ebay in the past.

Bogey

My new Honda Fit came with an mp3 dock and for the heck of it, I just stuck a cd in the player that was mp3 format and it played perfectly!  Are new cd players for the home like this as well?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2011, 05:07:20 AM
My new Honda Fit came with an mp3 dock and for the heck of it, I just stuck a cd in the player that was mp3 format and it played perfectly!  Are new cd players for the home like this as well?

My Cambridge Soundworks clock radio does so.  And while I haven't tried it in that capacity, it seems our DVD player does, too (haven't tried, because we've got it just hooked up to the TV, not to any sound system, per se).

Coopmv

I am considering one of the following three amps/integrated for my home office.

as my current CJ MF-2500A 250 watts/ch power amp is too powerful for a 10 x 10 room.

Daverz

Quote from: Coopmv on July 03, 2011, 06:15:08 AM

I can't tell what that middle one is.

You might consider Rogue gear.  They provide a lot of audio quality for the buck

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Titan.htm#Cronos (they also have another integrated called the "Tempest").

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on July 03, 2011, 06:34:45 AM
I can't tell what that middle one is.

You might consider Rogue gear.  They provide a lot of audio quality for the buck

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Titan.htm#Cronos (they also have another integrated called the "Tempest").

The middle one is Audio Research.  I can actually buy Rogue directly from the manufacturer since the closest dealership is over 100 miles from my house.  Everyone of these amps (including Rogue) are American made.
Electrocompaniet is interesting but after-sale support may be spotty since it does not have many dealerships in the US.

Fëanor

as my current CJ MF-2500A 250 watts/ch power amp is too powerful for a 10 x 10 room.

Respectively:

• McIntosh MA6300 integrated
  • Audio Research YS115 power amp
  • Conrad Johnson ET250S (??) power amp.
Personally in a small room I'd go with the an integrated just because of the smaller footprint. Also personally I prefer transparent, neutral, timbre-accurate amps versus warm, full-bodied, organic sounding amps -- but chacun à son goût, eh?

Fitting my criteria, I'd look seriously at the Bel Canto C5i; it include a built-in DAC and is a bit cheaper as a bonus. see HERE.

See a couple of review of the C5i ...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue55/c5i.htm
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/belcanto2/1.html

Jay F

I'm thinking about getting a pair of those cute little B&W MM-1 speakers for my computer, as it is where I do 90% of my listening. They're $499.99. I don't see how to attach a picture, so here is a link: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/MM-1/Product-Details.html

If they sound as good as they look, I'll be very happy.

Jay F

I always like the conrad-johnson look, Stuart.

Daverz

Quote from: Coopmv on July 03, 2011, 06:42:34 AM
I can actually buy Rogue directly from the manufacturer

They are very nice to deal with over the phone.

I'm using their M-180 monoblocks in my main system (shown here with the cover off).

It's not going to win any beauty contests, but the build quality is very high.

Quote from: Fëanor on July 03, 2011, 09:24:20 AM

A tube pre and tube amps put out a lot of heat, so I've been thinking of something like a Wyred4Sound or Bel Canto integrated, which would run cool because of their class D amplification, for the summer months (it can get up to 110F here).  Unfortunately, I don't have any way to hear any of this equipment before buying.

Maybe I should just go to the beach instead.