Author Topic: a question for PERCUSSIONISTS  (Read 1948 times)

snyprrr

a question for PERCUSSIONISTS
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »

all i have cd-wise to go on is the percussion music of XENAKIS ...any recording

QUESTION:

if there is one thing i have a hard time with is when i'm lisenting to a percussion part and i hear what to my ears can only be interpreted as a "stick hit", meaning, when someone is playing such a difficult part that they inevitably accidently hit their sticks together- technically, a "mistake". in Xenakis for instance, if i hear this sound once it seems to sap my pleasure, and i just listened to a piece called AIS (1980), and i was hearing this sound a lot, and sometimes, it DID seem to be on purpose, othertimes it seemed like an "oops".  the problem is is that with percussion, even the slightest error seems to stick out (no pun). are there percussionists out there who couldn't live with themselves if they made even one small flub like this in a recording or performance?

is there anyone out there who knows where i'm coming from, or who has noticed this an could elaborate? thanks

Offline david johnson

Re: a question for PERCUSSIONISTS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:04:53 AM »
rim shots and stick clicks are a common percussion technique that composers score for.  perhaps that is what you are hearing.

dj