Favorite recording(s) of Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie, Op. 61

Started by aquablob, January 22, 2009, 09:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquablob

(In response to a recent post on the Chopin Recordings thread.)

In my opinion, Op. 61 is Chopin's strongest polonaise. Which recording(s) of this piece do you find most satisfying?

Herman

As I said before I think Richter isn't always right in Chopin, but somehow the P-F (which is obviously the most interesting Polonaise) is a piece he really was obsessed with, and sometimes he came realy close to the mark.

orbital

Quote from: George on January 22, 2009, 11:26:40 AM
Is the Sokolov commercially available?
I don't know, but it is orbitally available  ;D Let me know if you need it.

George

Quote from: orbital on January 22, 2009, 11:50:48 AM
I don't know, but it is orbitally available  ;D Let me know if you need it.

Consider me needing it.  8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Richter '72 and Cherkassky '69.

The two couldn't be more different, though. Richter is brooding, melancholic, with surges of violence.

Cherkassky is soaring, glittery, with stark contrasts.

Neither has a leg up but both are fitting depending on mood.   

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bogey

Quote from: donwyn on January 22, 2009, 06:04:25 PM
Richter '72 and Cherkassky '69.

The two couldn't be more different, though. Richter is brooding, melancholic, with surges of violence.

Oh, I need this one.  Link if you do not mind. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on January 22, 2009, 06:08:16 PM
Oh, I need this one.  Link if you do not mind. ;D

Yes, George is correct, Bill.

I'd grab it fast as it's recently gone OOP and the price may skyrocket.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

aquablob

orbital

George

Quote from: orbital on January 23, 2009, 05:40:05 AM
Got it, as soon as I have access to my external HD which should be sometime tomorrow.

Thanks!

orbital