Favorite recording(s) of Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie, Op. 61

Started by aquablob, January 22, 2009, 09:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: ezodisy on January 22, 2009, 12:08:01 PM
The one from Amsterdam, right?
I am not sure, my folder just says "Chopin Recital", the rest are the 4 impromptus, nocturnes op 62, PF and A minor waltz + Rameau - L'Egyptienne encores. I do have an Amsterdam recital from 2003 but that one has Bach and Beethoven.

aquablob

orbital

It's been an opportunity to for me to revisit the performance as well. I had not listened to it for a long time, since I am not very fond of the piece but this is really a remarkable take.

Herman

Same here. I had not listened to this cd (a gracious gift from Tony) in a long time. I remember at the time, at the recital itself being not wholly convinced by the impromptus, but the Sokolov's Nocturnes and the PF are mesmerizing.

ezodisy

Yeah I'm quite certain that that recording came from the same Amsterdam recital which you attended Herman. I saw it a few months later in London, with the lights down the extremely slow third impromptu (I think it was) was mesmerising. Never heard a reading like that before.

Herman

Quote from: ezodisy on January 24, 2009, 07:13:30 PM
the lights down the extremely slow third impromptu

Like he was saying: "this is not Artur Rubinstein (in case you hadn't noticed before, what with my hairdo)".