George Perle (1915-2009)

Started by bhodges, January 24, 2009, 11:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Sad news today, that George Perle has died.  I have heard the sextet eighth blackbird perform his Critical Moments 2 several times, and it is a wonder: sort of like Webern, but with much more wit.  Obituary in The New York Times is here.

He is perhaps even better known as a writer and theorist, and did definitive studies of Berg's Wozzeck and Lulu.  His work on Lulu led to the completion of the opera's third act, which was first done in 1979.

--Bruce

donaldopato

I enjoy this Albany recording of some of his orchestral works:

The Sinfonietta #2 is quite interesting, and yes a little Webern-esque, using Webern-esque short motives to base his musical argument. Perle's works that I have heard are more witty, less mechanical and on much broader scale than Webern. He obviously learned a lot from his study of the Second Viennese school. 
Disc includes the Piano Concerto # 2, Adagio for Orchestra and Three Movements for Orchestra.

I am not sure, did he actually study with Berg, Schoenberg or Webern?
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Joe Barron

I'm very sorry to read this. I met Mr. Perle a couple of times and found him to be a warm man and an interestng speaker. He was one of those older composers, like Carter, who I thought would go on forever. I have several of his CDs, and not I know what I'll be listening to for the next week or so. The Bridge anthology is a strong two-disk set that covers Mr. Perle's entire career. He will be missed.

Joe Barron

Quote from: donaldopato on January 24, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
I am not sure, did he actually study with Berg, Schoenberg or Webern?

No. He did study with Krenek in the early 40s, though, according to the Times obit, and he was the leading expert on Berg, whose entry he wrote in the The New Grove.

snyprrr

I've just heard Perle's SQ No.5 (1960-67), which has been with us since the LP days, by The Composer's Quartet (w/Babbitt & Seeger).

After hearing Babbitt's later SQs and not liking them, I tried the Perle, and, from the first moments, we are in an impressionistic serialism, quite unlike Carter at the time. There is so much nuance here, this is now becoming one of my fav Schoenbergian styled serialist single-mvmt SQs. In a way, it sounds like the grey cloudy day of a Pijper ramped up to total serialsmo. Very delicate, very nice. Hopefully it will make its way to cd.