Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

This thread is meant to complement the other threads on Bach's music: organ works, other keyboard works (HIP) and orchestral music.

So, included are:

- sonatas & partitas for violin
- cello suites
- sonatas for violin and harpsichord
- sonatas for viola da gamba and harpsichord
- works for lute
- sonatas & partitas for transvers flute
- adaptations/chamber music versions
(of the Trio Sonatas, Kunst der Fuge, etc.)

Links to relevant topics on the old forum:

Bach Cello suites
Bach BWV 1027-1029 (about the gamba sonatas)
Bach Sonatas and Partitas Recommendation
J.S Bach's unaccompanied violin sonata no 3 in C major

HAVE FUN! :)

Q

FideLeo

The flute sonatas and partita performed by Frans Brüggen (Sony Seon).  Probably not many people remember him as a recorder/traverso player since he has become a great conductor.  But this is THE classic when it comes to HIP versions of this music - not to be missed if you happen to see it in a record shop!  ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

I have Kuijken/ Leonhardt for the accompanied sonatas:

I'm very satisfied with it but, still I like to have another performance.
Any recommendations on the many new recordings of these pieces, which all seem quite promising?? :)
Like: Kubitschek/ Rônez (Winter & Winter), Carmignola/ Marcon (Sony), Malgoire/ Rannou (Zig-Zag), Montanari/ Rousset (Naïve) and Valetti/ Frisch (Alpha).

Thanks, Q

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 24, 2007, 11:41:35 PM
The flute sonatas and partita performed by Frans Brüggen (Sony Seon).  Probably not many people remember him as a recorder/traverso player since he has become a great conductor.  But this is THE classic when it comes to HIP versions of this music - not to be missed if you happen to see it in a record shop!  ;D

My favourite too!  :)

Any more recent recordings you could recommend?

Q

FideLeo

For quite recent recordings, I'd say Ashley Solomon on Channel Classics

He is also director of the great ensemble Florigium.   I will post a picture of volume 1 when I find it in a suitably large size. :)

I haven't gotten hold of this new recording by Jed Wentz on Challenge Classics, but based on my past experience with his strong and dynamic playing (Quantz, Vivaldi, Handel, Blavet, Locatelli, Couperin, etc.), I feel it is very promising.  Not to mention a well-done cover picture: charimatic photo of a charismatic musician. :)

p.s  Wentz is the director of the outstanding ensemble Musica ad Rhenum.  We have quite a few analogies of Frans Bruggen here.  Question: Is becoming a great musical director the inevitable career path for great traverso players?  :D :D :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2007, 11:54:40 PM

Any recommendations on the many new recordings of these pieces, which all seem quite promising?? :)
Like: Kibutschek/ Rônez (Winter & Winter), Carmignola/ Marcon (Sony), Malgoire/ Rannou (Zig-Zag), Montanari/ Rousset (Naïve) and Valetti/ Frisch (Alpha).

Thanks, Q

Excuse my heretic opinion here: but why not the very hip Reinhard Goebel / Robert Hill? 

I have Carmingnola and am quite happy with it and would consider Biondi/Alessandrini another candidate in the same interpretative camp.

quintett op.57

val

This are my favorite versions

- sonatas & partitas for violin / Nathan Milstein
- cello suites / Pablo Casals or Anner Bjlsma
- sonatas for violin and harpsichord / Reinhard Goebel, Robert Hill
- sonatas for viola da gamba and harpsichord  / Wieland Kuijken, Leonhardt
- works for lute  / Konrad Junghänel
- sonatas & partitas for transvers flute  / Frans Bruggen
- Kunst der Fuge / Musica Antiqua Köln, Goebel

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 25, 2007, 12:30:37 AM
Excuse my heretic opinion here: but why not the very hip Reinhard Goebel / Robert Hill? 

I have Carmingnola and am quite happy with it and would consider Biondi/Alessandrini another candidate in the same interpretative camp.

I'm not excluding Goebel/ Hill, although I passed it up earlier, I really should refresh my impression on that one. The Biondi/Alessandrini I've heard and was fasinating, as anything Biondi does, but not to my taste (in Bach).

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 25, 2007, 12:13:51 AM
Question: Is becoming a great musical director the inevitable career path for great traverso players?  :D :D :D

You're forgetting one important condition - which is fulfilled in this case btw - you have to be Dutch! ;D  ;)

Q

Bunny

I have the Valetti/Frisch violin sonatas, which is very fine.  I also have Marc Hantaï's flute sonatas as well, but am not particularly satisfied with them.  I have James Ehnes Bach Sonatas on I believe, a modern violin with harpsichord accompanimient by Luc Beauséjour which is very well done.  I also have Pandolfo's sonatas for viol da gamba which I do recommend.

I have the Naxos reissue of Jaap Schroeders Sonatas and Partitas, and have Lucy van Dael's on order.

Now I'll start looking for the Brüggen which hopefully will not be too expensive.  Otherwise the Channel Classics recording, the Jed Wentz and the Winter and Winter sound very enticing. 

Bunny

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 25, 2007, 12:30:37 AM

I have those too!  Those are part of the Reinhard Goebel Box Set with the Brandenburg Concerti.  They do suffer a bit from DG's close miking, though.

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 25, 2007, 05:59:19 AM
I have those too!  Those are part of the Reinhard Goebel Box Set with the Brandenburg Concerti.  They do suffer a bit from DG's close miking, though.

Oh yes I just remember that I have the W&W Ronez recording as well.  I guess I have been too imprinted on the Goebel (now that is some tangy Bach! ;D) to remember anything special about this set other than the typical W&W well-done, realistic sound.  No negative impression either about the interpretation as far as I can recall.  It's perfect for the purpose of enlarging one's Bach collection then!  Its beautiful, environment-friendly packaging doesn't hurt either ;D

Don

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2007, 11:54:40 PM

I'm very satisfied with it but, still I like to have another performance.
Like: Kubitschek/ Rônez (Winter & Winter), Carmignola/ Marcon (Sony), Malgoire/ Rannou (Zig-Zag), Montanari/ Rousset (Naïve) and Valetti/ Frisch (Alpha).

Thanks, Q

My favorite for a few years now comes from Elizabeth Blumenstuck and John Butt on Harmonia Mundi.  Blumenstuck is amazing in highlighting both the beauty of the music on baroque violin and the array of expression in the scores.
I don't think any other versions come close; that includes Kuijken, Carmignola and all the rest.

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on May 25, 2007, 04:57:55 AM
I'm not excluding Goebel/ Hill, although I passed it up earlier, I really should refresh my impression on that one. The Biondi/Alessandrini I've heard and was fasinating, as anything Biondi does, but not to my taste (in Bach).

Yes I see what you mean - sometimes Biondi's playing can strike one as being TOO sweet, almost nauseously so  :P  You see I prefer tangy Bach myself, and so I fully respect your taste!  

You're forgetting one important condition - which is fulfilled in this case btw - you have to be Dutch! ;D  ;)

Q

Yes but then you are discounting Ashley Solomon the Brit - you must have not heard any recording by Florilegium then.  Their continuo section is always, and refreshingly, colorful.    

FideLeo

Quote from: Don on May 25, 2007, 08:36:19 AM
My favorite for a few years now comes from Elizabeth Blumenstuck and John Butt on Harmonia Mundi.  Blumenstuck is amazing in highlighting both the beauty of the music on baroque violin and the array of expression in the scores.

If I am getting it, I would prefer the original 2-cd release.   Alternatively the recording is available in 2 budget-priced, "classical express" single discs.

Bunny

I found this available at Towerrecords for $5.52 -- Bach J.S: Sonatas & Partitas For Flute / Bruggen/Leonhardt.  At that price it's an automatic buy item for me. ;D

Don

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 25, 2007, 08:46:36 AM
If I am getting it, I would prefer the original 2-cd release.   Alternatively the recording is available in 2 budget-priced, "classical express" single discs.

Although the "original" is oop, there is a 2-cd set having what was on the original along with BWV 1021 and 1023.  The catalog number is 2907364 (Harmonia Mundi)

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 25, 2007, 08:48:24 AM
I found this available at Towerrecords for $5.52 -- Bach J.S: Sonatas & Partitas For Flute / Bruggen/Leonhardt.  At that price it's an automatic buy item for me. ;D

Beware that you may not be getting the whole thing (but the most important part anyway).  
The original Seon version is on two rather loosely filled discs.

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 25, 2007, 08:43:39 AM
Yes but then you are discounting Ashley Solomon the Brit - you must have not heard any recording by Florilegium then.  Their continuo section is always, and refreshingly, colorful.

Not discounting, simply overlooking the fact that you were refering to Solomon too. But the fact that I'm not familiar with the Ensemble Florilegium undoubtedly was a factor in this oversight.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Don on May 25, 2007, 08:53:07 AM
Although the "original" is oop, there is a 2-cd set having what was on the original along with BWV 1021 and 1023.  The catalog number is 2907364 (Harmonia Mundi)

This?  The new "one-plus-one" version has a rather charming cover picture, too, if stylistically about 80-100 years too late for the music.  :)