Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 23, 2010, 12:55:54 PM
Something weird is happening with my posts.  :(

I have experienced several times recently, that my post could not be posted, - I got an error report, and the post was lost. Yesterday evening rather late I had written a long post about the violin-harpsichord balance, which was lost, and it was too late to write all of it again.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Marc

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 01:02:35 PM
I did not say, that violin-harpsichord scoring is "wrong" - it is after all authoritised, but I think that Bach concieved the works with the balance of the organ in mind.
No, he didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 23, 2010, 12:59:11 PM
Do you know a version played on organ/violin by Gester/Pierlot?
Bach played by a Jester and a Pierrot?
Sounds interesting.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 01:21:10 PM
...as far as I remember no Pierlot there.

I wrote "Pierlot", but it is "Pierot", Alice Pierot.

Marc

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 23, 2010, 01:33:18 PM
I wrote "Pierlot", but it is "Pierot", Alice Pierot.

From the Bach cantatas site:

Alice Pierot plays the violin, and Martin Gester the Georg Westenfelder organ at the église Saint Macre de Fere-en-Tardenois.

I doubt if it is still available, but it is Accord ( l'Aisne - Radio France) 205322 MU 744. It ws recorded in 1993.

These Accord releases have always been difficult to get hold of.

Marc

Quote from: premont on April 23, 2010, 01:45:06 PM
[....]
I doubt if it is still available, but it is Accord ( l'Aisne - Radio France) 205322 MU 744. It ws recorded in 1993.[/i]

These Accord releases have always been difficult to get hold of.
I checked the central Dutch library (one never knows, something could be arranged for Ton), but no: some Gester discs, but not this combination. :'(
Sorry.

prémont

Quote from: Marc on April 23, 2010, 01:52:39 PM
I checked the central Dutch library (one never knows, something could be arranged for Ton), but no: some Gester discs, but not this combination. :'(
Sorry.

Thanks for your efforts.

SonicMan46

JEEZ! I've not responded in such a long time -  but maybe not w/ some of these treads?  ;D

Well, I'm expanding my Bach Gamba Sonatas up to four recordings now by adding the two pictured below - a 'tangent piano' version and one w/ the expected 'gamba + harpsichord' - these are both wonderful additions - thanks again for the recommendations!  :)

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan on May 07, 2010, 04:47:52 PM
JEEZ! I've not responded in such a long time -  but maybe not w/ some of these treads?  ;D

Well, I'm expanding my Bach Gamba Sonatas up to four recordings now by adding the two pictured below - a 'tangent piano' version and one w/ the expected 'gamba + harpsichord' - these are both wonderful additions - thanks again for the recommendations!  :)

What precisely is a tangent piano? 

[Mental image of a piano suspended at a 45 degree angle]

71 dB

Quote from: kishnevi on May 07, 2010, 06:11:06 PM

Simply an "early piano", what they had in mid 18th century.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Marc

SonicMan46

Quote from: kishnevi on May 07, 2010, 06:11:06 PM

In addition to the link provided, check out my post (and subsequent responses), #88 in the Old Musical Instruments Thread - Miklos Spanyi seems to be devoting his career to this instrument which sounds like a cross between a harpsichord/fortepiano - quite nice (to my ears!); Spanyi's most ambitious project seems to be recording the complete solo & orchestral works of CPE Bach on this instrument (on BIS) - believe he has 3 dozen or more CDs by now - Que has been commenting on these discs for a while; I've not obtained any yet - maybe waiting for a 'non-existent' box to be offered?   ;D

SonicMan46

Sonatas Violin & Harpsichord w/ Florence Malgoire & Blandine Rannou - well this is my 4th set of these works, all w/ harpsichord; others are Wallfisch-Nicholson, Mullova-Dantone, & Grumiaux-Jaccottet - these latter have additional performers; is there a good lute harpsichord version out there?  Other options & combination of different instruments? Just curious -  :D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on May 26, 2010, 04:47:27 AM

Busy listening to the Cello Suites:

Bach Suites Shouldered

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=2040

In 1713, the viola pomposa was what all the cool kids played...

"That likely makes Kuijken the first performer to record both the Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin and the Cello Suites".

That assumption is probably true, Jens. Ryo Terakado has also recorded both of them on Denon and his Cello Suites were released on disc several months before than Kuijken; but, apparently, Sigiswald recorded his own discs before Terakado.

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 26, 2010, 06:24:26 AM
"That likely makes Kuijken the first performer to record both the Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin and the Cello Suites".

That assumption is probably true, Jens. Ryo Terakado has also recorded both of them on Denon and his Cello Suites were released on disc several months before than Kuijken; but, apparently, Sigiswald recorded his own discs before Terakado.

Has Terakado then recorded BWV 1001 through 10019??
I can't find 1008-1013. Also for MS/Denon?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on May 26, 2010, 06:44:03 AM
Has Terakado then recorded BWV 1001 through 10019??
I can't find 1008-1013. Also for MS/Denon?

Yes.

Here BWV 1007-1012 (BWV 1013 is the partita for solo flute): http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COGQ-32

... and here the violin/harpsichord sonatas with Siebe Henstra: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCQ-84184

... and the sonatas & partitas for solo violin: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCQ-84182

:)

Antoine Marchand

New Brandenburgs by Sigiswald and La Petite Bande:

For sure, this set will include the use of the violoncello da spalla, like here:

8)

prémont

Yes, and brass without valves or fingerholes. Like the instruments used in Suzuki´s second recording. Maybe even the soloists are identical - at least the pictures show a Japanese preponderance in the ensemble.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on July 31, 2010, 07:44:08 AM
Yes, and brass without valves or fingerholes. Like the instruments used in Suzuki´s second recording. Maybe even the soloists are identical - at least the pictures show a Japanese preponderance in the ensemble.

Just a clarification to my earlier message: I don't know if those pictures have any relation with the new recording of the Brandenburgs; in fact, those pictures were taken during the live performances of concertos 4 and 5 in the Early Music Festival in Fukuoka 2008. But clearly reflect the current ideas of Kuijken on those concerti.

BTW, this is a nice picture of the performance of Overture (Orchestral Suite) No.3 in D major BWV1068, especially for the brasses: