Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulSC

Lots of praise for Ingrid Matthews' beautiful recording of the solo Sonatas and Partitas, but I wonder if her performances of the Harpsichord/Violin Sonatas BWV 1014-1019 have been overlooked. She's equally masterful in the latter, Byron Schenkman is an able partner (though sadly the partnership has since dissolved and he's pursuing modern piano performance exclusively), their instruments are well matched, and the recorded sound is very good.

One of my favorite traversals of the set, alongside Van Dael/Van Asperen, Podger/Pinnock, and Kuijken/Leonhardt. (There are several others I still need to hear, notably Biondi/Alessandrini...)

prémont

Quote from: PaulSC on January 21, 2011, 09:26:27 PM
Lots of praise for Ingrid Matthews' beautiful recording of the solo Sonatas and Partitas, but I wonder if her performances of the Harpsichord/Violin Sonatas BWV 1014-1019 have been overlooked. She's equally masterful in the latter, Byron Schenkman is an able partner (though sadly the partnership has since dissolved and he's pursuing modern piano performance exclusively), their instruments are well matched, and the recorded sound is very good.

One of my favorite traversals of the set, alongside Van Dael/Van Asperen, Podger/Pinnock, and Kuijken/Leonhardt. (There are several others I still need to hear, notably Biondi/Alessandrini...)

Was this a download from Magnatune or physical CDs??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: PaulSC on January 21, 2011, 09:26:27 PM

Paul - thanks for the comments on Ingrid Matthews - she grew up in my home town of Winston-Salem, NC, where she attended the high school of the NC School of the Arts (where her parents taught) - for a while she was bringing a chamber concert series to town which was held at the historic Reynolda House (RJ Reynolds estate - now a small museum).  I kind of stopped following her career but am quite impressed w/ what she has done - I definitely need to acquire some of her recordings now!  Dave  :)

Antoine Marchand

Well, I'm also interested in your reply, Paul:

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 04:51:43 AM
Did you buy this 2-CD set on Magnatune, Paul? I would like if it exists like a regular CDs (pressed CD, booklet, etc.).  :)

BTW, have anyone listened to the 2-CD set by Maya Homburger and Malcolm Proud, recorded on Maya's own label?

I just have heard some short samples, but it sounds extremely interesting; although, unfortunately, it is also rather expensive.

prémont

Yesterday I listened to Midori Seiler´s newly released recording (for Berlin Classics)  of the three Partitas for violin. To mention the good things first the Guarneri (without further specification) she uses sounds very beautiful and is recorded in suitably dry acoustics. Her vibratoless tone adds to the general impression of beauty. But the interpretation is ultrainterventionalistic with willful agogics and an use of dynamic variation which may be called ultraromantic at best and casual at worst. The Sonatas are probably to follow, but I think I shall let them pass, despite my completist attitude in these matters.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 06:34:57 AM
Yesterday I listened to Midori Seiler´s newly released recording (for Berlin Classics)  of the three Partitas for violin. To mention the good things first the Guarneri (without further specification) she uses sounds very beautiful and is recorded in suitably dry acoustics. Her vibratoless tone adds to the general impression of beauty. But the interpretation is ultrainterventionalistic with willful agogics and an use of dynamic variation which may be called ultraromantic at best and casual at worst. The Sonatas are probably to follow, but I think I shall let them pass, despite my completist attitude in these matters.

It's good to know your opinion about Seiler's recording, as an antidote against my own incipient completism.  ;D

Anyway, as a matter of fact Seiler occupies one of the last posts among my preferred female Baroque violinists, after van Dael, Wallfish, Podger, Huggett, Schmidt, Glodeanu, now Matthews and a long etcetera.  :)

SonicMan46

Since Paul's reminder about the violinist, Ingrid Matthews, my interest was peeked to acquire some of the recordings of this hometown gal!  :D

She has a website HERE w/ a discography section (much more impressive than I recall!) - an early recording (small image below - sorry) of the Bach Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin gleamed an outstanding summary comment from a review in the American Record Guide - shown below and from the site - has anyone heard these recordings?  If so, how does she compare to the competition (I currently own Szeryng, Podger, & Mullova)?  Thanks -  :)

QuoteThis superb recording is now my top recommendation for a period-instrument set of this music...In fact, after listening to the set again since writing the previous three sentences, I would say that this is my favorite complete set of these works on either period or modern instruments. This is one of those sets that I can hardly bring myself to remove from my CD player." —American Record Guide

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 06:50:16 AM
It's good to know your opinion about Seiler's recording, as an antidote against my own incipient completism.  ;D

Yes, we have to prevent the symptoms of CDCDCD whenever and wherever we can.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 06:32:02 AM
BTW, have anyone listened to the 2-CD set by Maya Homburger and Malcolm Proud, recorded on Maya's own label?

Not yet, it is on my wish list - CDCDCD you know.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan on January 22, 2011, 06:52:37 AM
- has anyone heard these recordings? 

I have advocated for her S & P´s several times in this forum.
Se reply 89 in this very thread.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Scarpia

My lord, where do you find these recordings?  There must be recording studios running around the clock making more recordings of the Bach Violin sonatas for you to buy.   ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 06:56:02 AM
Not yet, it is on my wish list - CDCDCD you know.

Well, in my case the symptoms are especially intense when these recordings are released by small labels because you never know if they will be available again when go out print.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 07:01:01 AM
I have advocated for her S & P´s several times in this forum.
Se reply 89 in this very thread.

I recall it clearly, even she occupied the post of Podger in your preferences.  :) 

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on January 22, 2011, 07:01:12 AM
My lord, where do you find these recordings?  There must be recording studios running around the clock making more recordings of the Bach Violin sonatas for you to buy.   ;D

One can not own too many worthwile recordings of these works.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Scarpia

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 07:13:02 AM
One can not own too many worthwile recordings of these works.

One can't own too many but I think one can own enough!   ;D

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on January 22, 2011, 07:19:39 AM
One can't own too many but I think one can own enough!   ;D

It seems as if we differ in this question.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PaulSC

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 06:19:39 AM
Was this [Matthews/Schenkman Vn/Hpscd Sonatas] a download from Magnatune or physical CDs??
I purchased as an iTunes download, but physical CDs can be had from CDBaby. (But iTunes beats CDBaby's download price.)

PaulSC

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 06:32:02 AM
Well, I'm also interested in your reply, Paul:

I just have heard some short samples, but it sounds extremely interesting; although, unfortunately, it is also rather expensive.
This is on my wishlist. Their tempos are often a bit on the slow side, but they still have plenty of energy, and lightness when it's needed. (Or that's my impression based on samples...)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: PaulSC on January 22, 2011, 08:28:09 AM
I purchased as an iTunes download, but physical CDs can be had from CDBaby. (But iTunes beats CDBaby's download price.)

Gret tip, Paul! Thank you very much.  :)

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on January 22, 2011, 10:20:31 AM
We clearly have very different priorities.  I see no reason to own more than 10 versions of Bach Complete Organ Works, though I am closing in on 20 versions of SMP ...

You are right, with only 22 versions of the SMP I need to pay more attention to this work.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν