Eric's thread on Pelléas et Mélisande

Started by Que, January 29, 2009, 12:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilhelm Richard

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 06, 2009, 10:41:51 AM
Anyway, PLEASE don't misunderstand me. My smilies should be indication enough that my intentions are not dictated by hostility, here. I am genuinely NOT trying to twist anyone's arm as regards to this subject. How you - or anybody - listens to P&M is completely up to you. But the fog created by Eric's fetish is such that I feel it necessary to bring at least a morsel of balance to the table. That's all. 0:)

No offense taken (or intended)!   :)
I only hope to serve as a sort of devil's advocate in this thread where so many seem to be so determined to maintain a hardline position come what may, rain or shine.
Continued discussion of the opera along the lines of Anne's posts would be much more interesting than continued bikering about the opera's place in music's timeline...until one of us meets Debussy and can ask him, I think everything that can be said about the issue (pending further discoveries by musicologists) has been said.

Homo Aestheticus

Thomas,

Have you come across any  P&M  fanatics in your classes ?

Anne

Continued discussion of the opera along the lines of Anne's posts would be much more interesting than continued bikering about the opera's place in music's timeline

Thank you, Wilhelm.  That was nice of you to say that.

Wilhelm Richard

Quote from: The Unrepentant Pelleastrian on May 18, 2009, 07:01:09 PM
Have you come across any  P&M  fanatics in your classes ?

Pianists who, with wistful looks in their eyes, could spend hours describing the images and stories conjured up by the particular Debussy piano work they are studying at the moment yes, but Pelléas et Mélisande fanatics, no.

Wilhelm Richard

karlhenning

Quote from: Anne on May 18, 2009, 08:37:27 PM
Continued discussion of the opera along the lines of Anne's posts would be much more interesting than continued bikering about the opera's place in music's timeline

Thank you, Wilhelm.  That was nice of you to say that.

Well earned, Anne; entirely well earned.

Anne

Thanks, Karl.  It was nice of you too.

Homo Aestheticus

You folks are right..... This question of  P&M  as dawn or twilight is basically a poetic one really. Let's just be grateful that no other opera packs in so many delicate beauties.

One thing I'm sure of is that when he was putting the final touches on it the last thing he was worried about were 'categories'.

Who was it that said that in the creative heavens, the sun always stands still, even if it is night ?

Coopmv

Original EMI recording by Herbert von Karajan ...

DavidW

Quote from: The Unrepentant Pelleastrian on May 05, 2009, 06:50:58 PM
Well, about 2 months ago I sent both DavidW and Thomas (Wilhelm Richard) a recording of  Pelleas et Melisande  as a gift and am somewhat disappointed that they haven't shared their thoughts/feelings on it...

:'(

C'mon guys what do you think so far of Debussy's great opera ??

:)

Oops, I did not know of this thread.  I'll also defend myself by saying that I was just wrapping up teaching at the time and my hands were full. Anyway, I apologize for dropping the ball.:-X

Anyway, the Karajan cd set has a very Romantic sound, and the dvd I got is really cool because I get to actually see the opera, and enjoy surround sound and Boulez' interpretation. 

So the Gilman book was an interesting read.  I was not aware of how significant P&M was for Debussy's rejection of traditional Romantic era chromaticism for the Medieval era chant.  Debussy had made that decision to emancipate the vocal parts from melody in an attempt to sync the emotional reaction of the acting with the music.  He felt that in other operas the two are not in step with each other.  That was the main thing I got from the book, and it did indeed improve my appreciation for this opera. 0:)

Homo Aestheticus

David,

Any favorite scenes so far ?

And isn't Act  II  just pure gold ?....  0:)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DavidW on July 19, 2009, 05:43:17 PM
I was not aware of how significant P&M was for Debussy's rejection of traditional Romantic era chromaticism for the Medieval era chant.  Debussy had made that decision to emancipate the vocal parts from melody in an attempt to sync the emotional reaction of the acting with the music.  He felt that in other operas the two are not in step with each other.  That was the main thing I got from the book, and it did indeed improve my appreciation for this opera. 0:)

Yes, quite an adventurous leap for Debussy. And successful. Music in general certainly benefited.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

Quote from: The Unrepentant Pelleastrian on July 19, 2009, 06:58:15 PM
David,

Any favorite scenes so far ?

And isn't Act  II  just pure gold ?....  0:)

Musically my favorite part is the second interlude in Act 2.  Dramatically, I'll have to think about it. :)

Homo Aestheticus

Quote from: DavidW on July 19, 2009, 07:32:31 PM
Musically my favorite part is the second interlude in Act 2.  Dramatically, I'll have to think about it. :)

Ah, yes just before the grotto scene...  :)

By the way, originally the orchestral interludes were  much  shorter but Debussy had to re-compose and lengthen them only a few nights before the premiere so the stagehands would have sufficient time to do their job. According to letters, Debussy did so very reluctantly...

Amazing when you consider that all 7 orchestral interludes are just breathtaking...  0:)