How did GMG begin?

Started by Opus106, January 30, 2009, 07:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Rob, please be assured I wasn't blaming you or anyone / anything for the loss of archives. It's just one of those things that happen over time. I think in the beginning (2003 / 2004) we were just exhilarated and assumed we were writing these posts for eternity or its internet equivalent. By now most people are wiser, but certainly not sadder.

Thanks for those pics!

Wanderer

Quote from: admin on January 31, 2009, 10:29:11 AM
The database still exists (and the data is still there), but I do not have the database skills to repair it. (anyone??)

I would like to emphasize this part. Any volunteers for the job would be proclaimed forum heros upon successful restoration - an overwhelming honour - and I'm sure some medals will be handed out as well.  8)

DavidW

Herman brings up something interesting.

We have had correspondence that told us much about life and culture in the past.  Now that we have transitioned to electronic correspondence over ink and paper, we are in danger of loosing the bulk of what we've written.  Future generations might not have the same window into our generation, that we've had in past generations.

B_cereus

Quote from: admin on January 31, 2009, 10:29:11 AM

The forum was very rudimentary, with very few features. It had a single "board" and members of guests could post a message and get replies, but that was about it. No PM's, no images, no moderators, and a very garish colour scheme (hey, I still like it).

sorry to bring it up  >:D... as i seem to recall didn't you allow a forum vote to decide on it, and the consensus was for this more pastoral option.. :D

B_cereus

Quote from: Herman on January 31, 2009, 05:32:06 AM
Rob's original GMG was mainly a board for newbies, as I recall. Then -   I'm not sure whether it was 2003 or 2004  -  a whole bunch of refugees from CMG moved to GMG. (Gurn, Todd, Lilas, Tony / Ezodisy, DavidW, me, many others) Since these guys were a little more sophisticated GMG changed a little, and the board got subdivided into the three or four sections of the Music Room, as I recall. There was a huge increase in traffic, too. There were enormous threads on Haydn, Chopin, and of course Beethoven, with a very high level of information and (kindly) passion. A bunch of guys from the NYT music forum joined (Karl among others), upping the chatter level and the Diner was created. There was a brief period ACDouglas graced our boards. Eric, at that point was a psychotherapist with a peculiar sense of smell, I seem to recall. (And a love of Debussy's Faun, obviously.) After long debates moderators were instituted, which only seemed to make matters worse. I think it's fair to say GMG is a much more peaceable kingdom now than three years ago.

i also remember that Steve Molman, another on the roll call of knowledgeable sophisticates, was also a forum member for a brief period when GMG started out..  :)

George

I heard that Prince was a member back in the day.  ;D

Herman

Quote from: B_cereus on January 31, 2009, 11:19:23 AM
i also remember that Steve Molman, another on the roll call of knowledgeable sophisticates, was also a forum member for a brief period when GMG started out..  :)

Oh yes, I wasn't giving a exhaustive list of names (plus some people have changed their handles, like Lilas).

I remember Molman was mad at me for a week or so, about some moderation thing. His musical advice was excellent. Wonder what he's up to currently.

DavidW

Quote from: B_cereus on January 31, 2009, 11:19:23 AM

We came over by the dozens back then.  Only a few of us are still here posting. :-\

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2009, 01:05:10 PM
We came over by the dozens back then.  Only a few of us are still here posting. :-\

Yes, probably a dozen or so. Even so, 5-6 years is a long time for a core group in the Internet society nowadays. Hell, a year or two is a long time! :o

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra / Fischer - Hob 01 100 Symphony in G 4th mvmt - Finale: Presto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Herman on January 31, 2009, 10:49:56 AM
Rob, please be assured I wasn't blaming you or anyone / anything for the loss of archives. It's just one of those things that happen over time. I think in the beginning (2003 / 2004) we were just exhilarated and assumed we were writing these posts for eternity or its internet equivalent. By now most people are wiser, but certainly not sadder.

Thanks for those pics!

I didn't think you were blaming me. But, as I recall, the fault was caused by a sloppy database upgrade by me, so I do take responsibility for the loss of the old forum.

I am sure it is still recoverable, because the data is all there. All I need is someone with mySQL skills to help me repair the database. Then I could make the old forum a read-only archive, and have this forum still active.

I have tried repairing it myself, but the fault is beyond my skill level.

Volunteers - submit resume below.

cheers
Rob

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 31, 2009, 01:11:38 PM
Yes, probably a dozen or so. Even so, 5-6 years is a long time for a core group in the Internet society nowadays. Hell, a year or two is a long time! :o

8)

Yeah internet years = dog years. :D

Kuhlau

Quote from: admin on January 31, 2009, 01:12:43 PM
I didn't think you were blaming me. But, as I recall, the fault was caused by a sloppy database upgrade by me, so I do take responsibility for the loss of the old forum.

I am sure it is still recoverable, because the data is all there. All I need is someone with mySQL skills to help me repair the database. Then I could make the old forum a read-only archive, and have this forum still active.

I have tried repairing it myself, but the fault is beyond my skill level.

Volunteers - submit resume below.

cheers
Rob

May I tentatively suggest you request the help of a very talented chap at the R3OK forum? He's the rather ecentric member going by the name of Sydney Grew, and he has single-handledly effected a working offline recovery version of an SMF forum which would otherwise have disappeared forever into the cyber-ether following the collapse of the hosting firm. To give you an idea of what Mr Grew pulled off, read this thread.

FK

karlhenning

Oh, he's made himself eccentric here on one or two occasions, FK  8)

Kuhlau

Well, if he's also a member here, I'd suggest Rob approaches him. It can't hurt to ask. ;)

FK

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: Kuhlau on January 31, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
May I tentatively suggest you request the help of a very talented chap at the R3OK forum? He's the rather ecentric member going by the name of Sydney Grew, and he has single-handledly effected a working offline recovery version of an SMF forum which would otherwise have disappeared forever into the cyber-ether following the collapse of the hosting firm. To give you an idea of what Mr Grew pulled off, read this thread.

Eccolo.

Brünnhilde forever

It must have been in 2002 or very early 2003 when news of a new classical music forum reached the New York Times and it's posters in the Classical Music - CMF - and the Opera - OF - sections. A number of New Yorkers stuck their toes in to test the GMG water, but didn't like the thread format, they were more comfortable in what I call their Kaffeeklatsch version.

I have searched my memory for some time now and still can come up with only three former New Yorkers now happy at GMG:

Karl Henning, Mark Simon, and I, nee uffeviking. There was ACD but he didn't stay long.

If I missed any, you'll certainly correct me!  ;)

DavidW

Yeah you forgot Pinkie!  I think he might have been banned from CMG at that time for being crazed and annoying, so I would consider him an NYT poster (he posted on both forums). ;D

Brünnhilde forever

Please refresh my memory, David, who is Pinkie?  ???