How did GMG begin?

Started by Opus106, January 30, 2009, 07:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

greg

wasn't the old forum at penny-farthing.net or something?

you know, the only member I can remember from that long ago is you, David. I know I'm forgetting others... when did Karl join?
Also, some posted consistently for a while, then just quit. Some guy (i think his name was Chris) with Sarah Chang's eye as an avatar, for example. Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

Brünnhilde forever

Big help,  :P David! Who is unrepentant? Nobody with that name listed as GMG member.

greg

The Pink Harp?
Unrepentant Pelleastrian?

DavidW

Quote from: G$ on January 31, 2009, 06:41:34 PM
wasn't the old forum at penny-farthing.net or something?

you know, the only member I can remember from that long ago is you, David. I know I'm forgetting others... when did Karl join?
Also, some posted consistently for a while, then just quit. Some guy (i think his name was Chris) with Sarah Chang's eye as an avatar, for example. Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

Andre was one of the first to come over, and I was actually one of the last.  Me, Heck, Hector, Iago, Catison, Herman, Molman, Gurn, Dirk (he's still here too), Karl, Weirdears, Andre, Pink Harp, Sidozey and a few others all came around in the same few months.

That's not really the beginning of the story, those posters (minus me and Catison) started on the Classical Insights board years before that.  My only 90s era posting on classical fora was just a couple of posts on rmcr.  And I have to admit that rmcr is much better at retaining posters (such as Tom Deacon, M, Vaneyes, etc etc (that list could go on for very long)) than the internet forums. :P

Brünnhilde forever

Got it, David!   :-*

Was he with any of the NYT fora? If you say so, Luv, your memory is younger than mine!  ::)

greg

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2009, 06:56:54 PM
Andre was one of the first to come over, and I was actually one of the last.  Me, Heck, Hector, Iago, Catison, Herman, Molman, Gurn, Dirk (he's still here too), Karl, Weirdears, Andre, Pink Harp, Sidozey and a few others all came around in the same few months.

That's not really the beginning of the story, those posters (minus me and Catison) started on the Classical Insights board years before that.  My only 90s era posting on classical fora was just a couple of posts on rmcr.  And I have to admit that rmcr is much better at retaining posters (such as Tom Deacon, M, Vaneyes, etc etc (that list could go on for very long)) than the internet forums. :P
Andre sounds familiar... Who's Dirk? (i mean, his screen name now?)

greg

Whoa, why was that post deleted? lol

i sent him a pm about all the bad things everyone said about him on this thread.  8)

DavidW

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on January 31, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Got it, David!   :-*

Was he with any of the NYT fora? If you say so, Luv, your memory is younger than mine!  ::)

I think he would post on NYT.  Karl remembers those days well, you can ask him about it. ;D

DavidW

Quote from: G$ on January 31, 2009, 06:59:43 PM

Dirk = Dirk Ronk, and he's always been Dirk Ronk.  I swear he posted like just a week or two ago, or maybe just even a few days ago! :D  Wherever there are posts about great musicians (especially if it's piano music) performing Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms etc he'll be there.  He's heard like everything when it comes to the greats.

DavidW

Quote from: G$ on January 31, 2009, 06:59:43 PM

Andre is sending Bruckner to heaven now.  Usually it's the other way around. ;D

Oh bwv1080 I think he's been on both cmg and gmg the whole time.  And don't forget Larry Rinkel, oh wait Larry's gone, Utah Bill was on gmg, and I thought maybe he came back?  Our resident Malcolm Arnold fan, I forgot his handle, but I was debating Mahleria issues with him just a few days ago, has been here and on cmg for quite awhile.  He changes his handle as often as I change my avatar! :D

greg

Maybe we should start a club for us seniors  :D

greg

Ah, i get it- Andre = Lilas Pastia

DavidW

Quote from: G$ on January 31, 2009, 07:17:09 PM
Maybe we should start a club for us seniors  :D

I had forgotten Gabriel.  And that's really a shame that I would do that, because he and Herman really got me into Haydn.  And you know he is my favorite composer now.  Gabriel just posted a few days ago, so he's still here.

Even though alot of posters still seem to be here, we really have lost much more of the older times than we've retained.

greg

For some reason, though, the nostalgia of old message board posting doesn't quite compare to the nostalgia of real life.

DavidW

Quote from: G$ on January 31, 2009, 07:25:08 PM
For some reason, though, the nostalgia of old message board posting doesn't quite compare to the nostalgia of real life.

I'm too young to be nostalgic.  Whenever I think "remember those wonderful times of old..." I recall "... oh wait they sucked, just in a different way!" :D

Herman

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2009, 07:20:19 PM
I had forgotten Gabriel.  And that's really a shame that I would do that, because he and Herman really got me into Haydn.  And you know he is my favorite composer now.  Gabriel just posted a few days ago, so he's still here.

Even though alot of posters still seem to be here, we really have lost much more of the older times than we've retained.

Yes Gabriel! He was the one who mailed me and said let's come on over. This was in the winter of 2003, around this time of year, I remember now. The moderators came about a year later.

Andre was called Calaf, back then. He and I left GMG at about the same time. I remember he said he'd had it. And when I came back a couple months ago, there he is, called Lilas! ;D

Larry Rinkel was a great guy.

Pink Harp wasn't with the first bunch, not by a long shot. He tagged aling with Karl and the kaffee klatsch, which is kind of ironic. I guess one could make a case that Eric and Karl are the same person, only different.

Those names on the oldest screenshot from 2002 don't ring any bell for me.

Opus106

Thanks a lot, people! And thank you, Rob, for history, screenshots and all. :)

I wonder what that Sibelius retirement fund was all about. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

Lilas Pastia

I clearly recall the original poster who approached Rob, politely asking if he'd mind him inviting a bunch of friends to join GMG. His handle was ThomasJ. He's the originator of that 'huge trafic influx' that started in 2002. Tom is a gentleman and I miss him. I think he's more into jazz now, or maybe even back at the old board (CMG).

I joined as Calaf, keeping my old handle from the other board.  When I resigned as moderator (there were periodic bouts of revolt among the moderated and I just couldn't take the aggravation), I found that, much to my annoyance, some here thought my opinions were 'tainted' because of my tenure. That led me to quit. After a few months I quietly came back as Lilas. I also dumped my trademark Papa Smurf pic. The choice of another operatic character was of course intentional, and so was the fact that it's a very secondary one vs the previous incarnation, the caddish prince who wins girl, throne and fame :D.

Reflecting on all this I can say that 6 years of posting at GMG has immeasurably widened my musical horizons and (I think) deepened my understanding of music. It's been quite an adventure!