Announcements > GMG News

How did GMG begin?

<< < (2/18) > >>

Lilas Pastia:
I remember the "little board", but I can't recall blue and orange. But then again, Rob has always kept the place up to date. He's our benevolent deity.

Opus106:

--- Quote from: G$ on January 30, 2009, 12:44:55 PM ---:o my little brother runs a forum like that! What's it about?

--- End quote ---

Primarily physics. But it also has a respectable maths section and smaller places for other branches/aspects of science and philosophy, career guidance in the sciences, etc. And a really fun general area.

What about your brother's?  :)

Herman:
Rob's original GMG was mainly a board for newbies, as I recall. Then -   I'm not sure whether it was 2003 or 2004  -  a whole bunch of refugees from CMG moved to GMG. (Gurn, Todd, Lilas, Tony / Ezodisy, DavidW, me, many others) Since these guys were a little more sophisticated GMG changed a little, and the board got subdivided into the three or four sections of the Music Room, as I recall. There was a huge increase in traffic, too. There were enormous threads on Haydn, Chopin, and of course Beethoven, with a very high level of information and (kindly) passion. A bunch of guys from the NYT music forum joined (Karl among others), upping the chatter level and the Diner was created. There was a brief period ACDouglas graced our boards. Eric, at that point was a psychotherapist with a peculiar sense of smell, I seem to recall. (And a love of Debussy's Faun, obviously.) After long debates moderators were instituted, which only seemed to make matters worse. I think it's fair to say GMG is a much more peaceable kingdom now than three years ago.

Please feel free to correct me when I'm wrong.

One unfortunate thing was that virtually every one or two years new software was implemented, wiping out all the previous posts. Apparently there are some members who have archived some material from way back, but there's no institutional memory, and that's too bad. I think that changed (and ultimately hurt) GMG as much as anything, including the intramural conflicts. GMG is fun and friendly enough AFAIC , but it's very hard to ask people to write the kind of long and considered threads there used to be when you're sure they'll be destroyed sooner or later.

Opus106:

--- Quote from: Herman on January 31, 2009, 06:32:06 AM ---Rob's original GMG was mainly a board for newbies, as I recall. Then -   I'm not sure whether it was 2003 or 2004  -  a whole bunch of refugees from CMG moved to GMG. (Gurn, Todd, Lilas, Tony / Ezodisy, DavidW, me, many others)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, Herman, for that look back. I too have been a part of a forum which was created by a refugee and soon joined by other refugees, although I wasn't one myself; I got invited early on by another member. But it's one of the friendliest places I've been to. I still am a registered member there, but I don't have the time to visit it as often as I used to.

--- Quote ---One unfortunate thing was that virtually every one or two years new software was implemented, wiping out all the previous posts. Apparently there are some members who have archived some material from way back, but there's no institutional memory, and that's too bad. I think that changed (and ultimately hurt) GMG as much as anything, including the intramural conflicts. GMG is fun and friendly enough AFAIC , but it's very hard to ask people to write the kind of long and considered threads there used to be when you're sure they'll be destroyed sooner or later.

--- End quote ---

That is unfortunate, indeed. I sometimes run across links to threads from the older forum and am disappointed to end up at 404.

There is this website called the Way Back Machine, which saves pages from the sites in the internet every (few) month(s), but I just saw Google warn me against visiting it due to possible malware attacks!
http://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http://www.archive.org/

EDIT: Re: Google tagging the site as malware. It appears to have been a glitch on their end. In fact, they had tagged every website including their own, according a Slashdot story, that way. Things are back to normal and archive.org is apparently safe to visit again.

Herman:

--- Quote from: opus67 on January 31, 2009, 06:56:00 AM ---Thank you, Herman, for that look back. I too have been a part of a forum which was created by a refugee and soon joined by other refugees, although I wasn't one myself;
http://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http://www.archive.org/

--- End quote ---

let's be 100% clear: GMG was created by Rob. Only he (probably) can tell you about GMG's first year, before the incursion of the above mentioned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version