How did GMG begin?

Started by Opus106, January 30, 2009, 07:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Lis, Let us know when you enter your second childhood and we will explain the arcana of Bugs Bunny et all.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Brian

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on February 02, 2009, 02:27:22 PM
You are quite welcome, any time, I am glad to be of assistance to your giggling!

P.S. If I were familiar with the characters behind the names you mentioned, Fudd and Buggs, I might even understand why you are giggling.  :-\
Here we go! A cartoon classic. :)

Benji

Brünnhilde forever

Oh you guys! I love you all, especially Brian:-*  for the entertainment and the education on the subject of American cartoons! I am not only chortling and giggling, I am laughing!

See, that's what I get for not having television, by choice, not necessity, and for spending my childhood in a foreign country!

Refresher course recommended?  ::)

Herman

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on February 02, 2009, 02:53:07 PM
spending my childhood in a foreign country!

Ah, Lis, this is GMG, not the NYT: there are no foreign countries.

Gabriel

Quote from: Herman on January 31, 2009, 10:01:53 PM
Yes Gabriel! He was the one who mailed me and said let's come on over. This was in the winter of 2003, around this time of year, I remember now. The moderators came about a year later.

Indeed, I wrote to you, Herman! Yes, I'm quite sure it was in January or February 2003. I recall that there had been some problems in CMG for a while, and after a specific and unpleasant incident (which, fortunately I guess, I don't remember) many of the posters decided not to post in that site anymore, including me and those who you have mentioned. I don't know exactly how we got to GMG, but remember I received an e-mail from one of the members (possibly André/Lilas?) telling me about this site, so we coordinated by e-mail our arrival to this new musical home.

I also remember Lin from the (re)founding group. (Lin/Rach, if I'm not mistaken).

David, I am sincerely thankful to your words. I'm sure Haydn's music expresses itself very well, but if my enthousiasm contributed as a vehicle for your motivation, I cannot but feel a great and humble joy.

Cato

😇 O.M.G.  😇

I was not sure where to place this, so I chose this topic, since I must have been with GMG near its inception.

While placing a comment just now, it struck me that, after nearly 2 decades (!) here, I somehow, some days ago, broke 10,000 comments!

I suppose that does not count the comments from GMG 1.0.   ;D

Anyway, on to 20,000!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Rereading this thread brought back memories.  And it was funny to see how wrong I was:

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2009, 01:15:54 PMYeah internet years = dog years. :D

I can't believe it has been twenty years already.  As Herman pointed out in the beginning of the thread, Herman, Gurn, myself, Todd, Karl and a few others came over from cmg around 2003-2004.

DavidW

Oh and if you're wondering what Cato was like back in the day... there were far more angel emoticons! :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2023, 03:59:25 PMOh and if you're wondering what Cato was like back in the day... there were far more angel emoticons! :laugh:
Hah!!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2023, 03:59:25 PMOh and if you're wondering what Cato was like back in the day... there were far more angel emoticons! :laugh:

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 13, 2023, 04:09:29 PMHah!!!

To be sure, the original Angel Emoticon RAWKED!  

Now I must settle for this imitation:  😇    ;)

Holden

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2023, 03:56:22 PMRereading this thread brought back memories.  And it was funny to see how wrong I was:

I can't believe it has been twenty years already.  As Herman pointed out in the beginning of the thread, Herman, Gurn, myself, Todd, Karl and a few others came over from cmg around 2003-2004.

I also came across from CMG at the same time and when I think 20 years where did al that time go?
Cheers

Holden

Cato

Quote from: Holden on September 14, 2023, 01:50:25 PMI also came across from CMG at the same time and when I think 20 years where did all that time go?

Holden!  You are in the club!  ;D

And look at what I found!!!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20051123014442/http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=232

So!  I registered on November 4, 2004, and wrote nearly 800 comments by a year later!

I know that Karl was already established here.

Daverz

When did GMG have the "great reset"?  I know I was here before that.  Searching shows a registration email from April 6, 2007, but I don't remember if that was before or after.

Cato

Here is another archived page from 2006: I note that I had started a discussion for the music of Ernst Toch!

https://web.archive.org/web/20060325030721/http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Unfortunately, I cannot get past that page to see the actual discussion.

Cato

DavidW

My favorite from the original Haydn thread:

Quote from: Gurn Blanston
Quote from: chuck on October 23, 2004, 12:40:56 PMwhy does Mozart get a mansion but Haydn gets only a corner?

Because Herman was much more humble and self-effacing than DavidW, which carried oven into their thread naming adventures!

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on September 14, 2023, 03:39:22 PMWhen did GMG have the "great reset"?  I know I was here before that.  Searching shows a registration email from April 6, 2007, but I don't remember if that was before or after.

Yikes, I see on the wayback machine that I had 2355 posts on the old GMG by December 10, 2004.  That's how bad my memory has become (it was never very good with things like timelines to begin with).  I must have registered on the old site before I had gmail.  I'm not going to try to drill back to the beginning with the wayback machine's anachronistic 1200-baud modem speeds.

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on September 14, 2023, 04:15:45 PMYikes, I see on the wayback machine that I had 2355 posts on the old GMG by December 10, 2004.  That's how bad my memory has become (it was never very good with things like timelines to begin with).  I must have registered on the old site before I had gmail.  I'm not going to try to drill back to the beginning with the wayback machine's anachronistic 1200-baud modem speeds.

Yeah I was going to say that I always remembered you being here.  I didn't remember the reset, but I think was on a short hiatus for a few months when I started my career as a teacher when it happened.

I think I came back, and it had already happened.  I recall from a convo with Poju that I ended up trying Caldara and made my first digital download purchase at that time that I returned which was sometime in either 2007 or 2008.