Haydn Keyboard Sonatas

Started by Que, May 27, 2008, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Walid Akl (Discover, but probably another label before that)
Carmen Piazzini (Arte Nova) (not too bad but superseded by Dershavina, I think)
Jando (Naxos) complete?
And there is a complete cycle on Brilliant with 4-5 different fortepianists on historical instruments, including van Oort, Duetschler....
Hamelin has three volumes, altogether probably 20 sonatas or so?
Will Bavouvet do a complete cycle or also an extended anthology?

In any case, I think at least *quantitatively* the discographic situation for the piano sonatas is better than for the quartets, symphonies, masses, and very much better than for the piano trios.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on March 25, 2015, 10:50:55 AM
Walid Akl (Discover, but probably another label before that)
Carmen Piazzini (Arte Nova) (not too bad but superseded by Dershavina, I think)
Jando (Naxos) complete?
And there is a complete cycle on Brilliant with 4-5 different fortepianists on historical instruments, including van Oort, Duetschler....
Hamelin has three volumes, altogether probably 20 sonatas or so?
Will Bavouvet do a complete cycle or also an extended anthology?

In any case, I think at least *quantitatively* the discographic situation for the piano sonatas is better than for the quartets, symphonies, masses, and very much better than for the piano trios.

I think Claudio Columbo has recorded all of them. Has anyone heard them?

One pianist who recorded a large amount of Haydn sonatas is Lubov Timofeyeva. I've put the recordings I own on symphonyshare -- I think they are worth knowing if you're interested in the music. Maybe she did all of them , I don't know.

One surprising thing is that the Haydn Society never embarked on a complete set of piano sonatas -- or were they intending that with Lilli Kraus, and it all went pear shaped?

Re Dershavina there's some live Haydn on symphonyshare which I thought was good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2015, 12:04:23 PM
I think Claudio Columbo has recorded all of them. Has anyone heard them?

One pianist who recorded a large amount of Haydn sonatas is Lubov Timofeyeva. I've put the recordings I own on symphonyshare -- I think they are worth knowing if you're interested in the music. Maybe she did all of them , I don't know.
One surprising thing is that the Haydn Society never embarked on a complete set of piano sonatas -- or were they intending that with Lilli Kraus, and it all went pear shaped?

I was even going to say: Nobody suggest "Claudio Colombo".  :D

Colombo is, if one were to take him as a recording artist, which he is not, a sad, barely competent joke. His recordings of anything don't count. ("Recorded at a convenient speed" into a electronic keyboard; replayed MIDI mediocrity.)

I'll investigate Timofeyeva.

And yes, Piazzini & Jando, of course. Walid Akl? Wow... there's something I've not heard. Brilliant's Mixer I didn't think of.

One hopes for complete sets of Hamelin and Bavouzet, doesn't one? (I do.)

Gurn Blanston

I am delighted to also have the complete set by Lola Odiaga on Albany (first 3 disks are on Titanic). It is all fortepiano, but she has a great touch on the harpsichord works, not pounding them out like some fortepianists (and pianists) do.

I have many, many disks on period instruments, but not many are complete cycles. And the only modern complete I have is McCabe, which I don't care about pursuing others anyway.

PI cycles:
Beghin / Naxos
Brautigam / BIS
Odiaga / Albany
Schornsheim / Capriccio
Oort et al / Brilliant

That is all there are. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

And then there this one

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

Jo498

I had two discs of the Akl which were uneven but not uninteresting.

What is the source for Timofeyeva? Russian LPs? I found two pictures online but no idea when they were recorded (1980s?) and how many of them.

I also thought that there had been hungaroton recordings but that was probably just Ranki with two discs or so and maybe another pianist with a bunch of sonatas but no complete recording.

Richter, Schiff, Gould, Catherine Collard and Staier have each about 2-4 discs worth of Haydn, similarly to Brendel's anthology.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 26, 2015, 07:11:33 AM
I had two discs of the Akl which were uneven but not uninteresting.

What is the source for Timofeyeva? Russian LPs? I found two pictures online but no idea when they were recorded (1980s?) and how many of them.

I also thought that there had been hungaroton recordings but that was probably just Ranki with two discs or so and maybe another pianist with a bunch of sonatas but no complete recording.

Richter, Schiff, Gould, Catherine Collard and Staier have each about 2-4 discs worth of Haydn, similarly to Brendel's anthology.

Most of them are just happy to record Hob 16:52, don't care about the rest except as filler.

Quote from: sanantonio on March 26, 2015, 07:05:08 AM
And then there this one

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

Yes, 3 disks. Bilson has 2, Leach has 2, then Cerasi, Daviddson, Wataya, Burnett, Cooper, Hill, Bobby Mitchell, Berry, Haebler, Badura-Skoda, Adlam etc. etc. I would have been pleased to see Bilson record the cycle, I really like his Mozart and Schubert cycles. Badura-Skoda's original set wasn't complete, I would like to get what he did, but if they are offered for sale, it is prohibitive. I bid $65 for one disk and it got blown away!

I really like the 3 Staier disks

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

So, for a complete set of the piano sonatas on a modern piano, who do you guys recommend?

Buchbinder seems like the best price, how is his set?

(As of now, I only have Brendel's incomplete set and Richter's stellar recordings of 2 CDs worth of Haydn sonatas.)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 28, 2015, 06:31:32 AM
So, for a complete set of the piano sonatas on a modern piano, who do you guys recommend?

Buchbinder seems like the best price, how is his set?

(As of now, I only have Brendel's incomplete set and Richter's stellar recordings of 2 CDs worth of Haydn sonatas.)

Brautigam. Modern instruments, albeit replicas of older ones. Doesn't count?
Then I'd say Ekaterina Derzhavina! (Profil Haenssler)

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 28, 2015, 07:38:36 AM
Brautigam. Modern instruments, albeit replicas of older ones. Doesn't count?
Then I'd say Ekaterina Derzhavina! (Profil Haenssler)

Thanks, ordered! 

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 28, 2015, 07:43:32 AM
Thanks, ordered!

Geez. THAT was easy.  :)

But rest assured that it wasn't a casual recommendation.

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 28, 2015, 08:33:31 AM
Geez. THAT was easy.  :)

But rest assured that it wasn't a casual recommendation.

I know, Jens. That's why it led to a quick purchase. (That, and some sampling on Spotify showed just how good she is with this music, compared to Buchbinder.) 

revdrdave

Quote from: Chris L. on March 23, 2015, 10:09:13 AM
Diving into Haydn's piano sonatas. Pianist Walter Olbertz really makes these sonatas come alive. There is none of the meandering, overly-intellectual soul searching style of playing to be found here. Just pure Haydnesque mischievousness, full of zest and life, in the way that I feel this music should be played. Sound quality is excellent, with crisp, clear, bright tones. I've only heard Brendel's and Ax's recordings as a reference, but as much as I like those I think I like Olbertz a bit better. This is a set that I won't put off listening to in it's entirety.

Yes, I agree completely. I recently purchased this set and have been really enjoying working my way through it.

J.A.W.

Any new insights since 2015?

Bavouzet's 6th volume was released in May 2017, so it looks like he's going to do a complete cycle. The reviews have been mixed so far, some were raving about his interpretations, others not so much; the main objection seems to be the loudness of his playing at times.

Is the Ekaterina Derzhavina still regarded as one of the better sets? I've heard some clicking on the audio samples I listened to.
Hans