Started by Que, May 27, 2008, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

:o :o :o

Joseph Haydn
the Virtual Haydn
Complete works for Solo Keyboard

Tom Beghin, keyboard

* The First Naxos Blu-Ray- a recording of the complete works of Joseph Haydn for solo keyboard in nine virtual reconstructions of the rooms in which these pieces would have been originally performed, using seven specially-crafted historical keyboards.

* A trail-blazing project of four Blu-Ray discs featuring 14.5 hours of music with an added "picture in picture" option, plus a three-hour documentary on the "making of" the recordings, directed by award-winning director and screen-writer Robert J. Litz.

* A fully interactive experience, this epic set offers users the opportunity to "direct" their own performance of a short Andante for Musical Clock; by selecting from a choice of rooms and instruments users can freely navigate 63 possible combinations to experiment with sound and acoustics as if wandering the 18th century halls themselves.

Picture format: 1080i High Definition
Sound format: PCM 2.0 / DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0
Region code: 0 (worldwide)
Subtitles: Dutch, French, German, Japanese
Running time: 18 hours
No. of Discs: 4  (BD 50)

AMAZON

MDT

8)
Note: This Blu-ray Disc is only playable on Blu-ray Disc players, and not compatible with standard DVD players.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 24, 2009, 08:19:52 PM
:o :o :o

Joseph Haydn - the Virtual Haydn - Complete works for Solo Keyboard

Tom Beghin, keyboard

* The First Naxos Blu-Ray- a recording of the complete works of Joseph Haydn for solo keyboard in nine virtual reconstructions of the rooms in which these pieces would have been originally performed, using seven specially-crafted historical keyboards..........

Note: This Blu-ray Disc is only playable on Blu-ray Disc players, and not compatible with standard DVD players.

Antoine - thanks for the description above!  If more of these Blu-ray musical projects emerge, I might be 'forced' into getting a player - this would certainly be the kind of stimulus for me to ACT!   :D  Dave

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on October 25, 2009, 05:44:43 AM
Antoine - thanks for the description above!  If more of these Blu-ray musical projects emerge, I might be 'forced' into getting a player - this would certainly be the kind of stimulus for me to ACT!   :D  Dave

Do we really want to watch many hours of solo keyboard performance?
The documentary portion would be useful showing instruments and discussing of playing technique by soloist etc.....
Perhaps I am missing something, I have never had the desire to watch a lengthy solo keyboard DVD performance

For opera DVD is an essential media and the featurettes with singer discussions and stage design etc are
quite enlightening, the visual aspects are almost more important than singing/music.  To a lesser degree orchestral DVD are also very useful since there is much more to see and discuss about the performance........

I guess if you have a nice surround sound audio system the Blu Ray format has that advantage over CD play...........

DarkAngel

Brendel's Haydn Sonatas

Perfect timing since I placed and order 1 week ago for new 4CD set at Amazon USA, should arrive any day now.
I got the older Phillips set (middle pix) from seller blowitouttahere, normally not a Brendel fan but samples for these sound very good.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on October 25, 2009, 05:44:43 AM
Antoine - thanks for the description above!  If more of these Blu-ray musical projects emerge, I might be 'forced' into getting a player - this would certainly be the kind of stimulus for me to ACT!   :D  Dave

You need a Blu-ray player now, Dave. :D It's a different world in these multimedia projects, when you have the right audio system.

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 25, 2009, 06:02:07 AM
Do we really want to watch many hours of solo keyboard performance?
The documentary portion would be useful showing instruments and discussing of playing technique by soloist etc.....
Perhaps I am missing something, I have never had the desire to watch a lengthy solo keyboard DVD performance

Well, this project sounds very enticing to me, DarkAngel. Here a more detailed REVIEW on this project of The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology (CIRMMT) - McGill University. 

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 25, 2009, 06:45:36 AM
You need a Blu-ray player now, Dave. :D It's a different world in these multimedia projects, when you have the right audio system.

Well, this project sounds very enticing to me, DarkAngel. Here a more detailed REVIEW on this project of The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology (CIRMMT) - McGill University. 

Well, I have to say that as a concept, this is right out there, and I congratulate Naxos on trying to move things into a new realm. Like Dave, I don't have Blu-Ray, really, I haven't cared to get it. I have a dedicated DVD that I use for opera and concerts, and that's pretty much it. But if this project is successful for them, it could open the door to many more down the road, where even those (like DA) who don't care for solo keyboard in this medium could find something to suit them. Anyway, it's a cool idea, and thanks, Antoine for pointing it out. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Concertgebouworkest / Klemperer & ACO - May.17,1956 Live - LvB Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 4th mvmt - Finale: Presto (Schiller - "Ode An Die Freude")
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DarkAngel

The background discussion sounds interesting as I would love to see in detail the instruments and what makes them sound unique, the playing style that brings out best from each one etc.....

Also there may be some real benefits to high quality 5 channel sound in Blu Ray format, this could really unlock some never before captured neuances of forte piano sound and technique, if you are set up to listen to your audio material through home theater system nothing to loose since CDs would cost as much as Blu ray set.... ;) (instead of 4 BluRay need 12 CDs for same material etc)

George

Quote from: erato on October 24, 2009, 12:33:07 AM
You may be interested to know that this set:

is available at prestoclassical at 23 Euros, which is more or less half price of what I've usually seen it during the years. A quick check at mdt and a couple of other places haven't uncovered another price remotely near it. Of course this may just be a preamble to it being given away by Brilliant, but who knows?

The original issue is available new here for under $28. 

Coopmv

Quote from: George on October 26, 2009, 02:39:26 AM
The original issue is available new here for under $28. 

George, Do you have this set?  If so, how do you like it?

George

Quote from: Coopmv on October 26, 2009, 05:16:45 PM
George, Do you have this set?  If so, how do you like it?

I do have it and I love it.  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: George on October 26, 2009, 06:01:03 PM
I do have it and I love it.  :)

... and you are not alone, George. Similar opinions have been expressed by DavidW and Jens.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 26, 2009, 06:20:46 PM
... and you are not alone, George. Similar opinions have been expressed by DavidW and Jens.

I have many recordings by Brendel on both LP and CD and have yet to find a dud ...

George

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 26, 2009, 06:20:46 PM

Then I am in esteemed company.  0:)

The new erato

I saw Brendel play Haydn 3 years ago and it was unsurpassed for me. I knew then that I needed this set.

Mandryka

Quote from: erato on October 27, 2009, 12:42:33 AM
I saw Brendel play Haydn 3 years ago and it was unsurpassed for me. I knew then that I needed this set.

I like those Haydn sonatas -- but they don't have that special hint of madness and maverick craziness which you get in the very greatest Haydn playing. Ranki for example.

Ranki's Haydn completely changed my perception of the composer -- and not just in the sonatas.

What Ranki does is suddenly take the music on intense bursts of manic energy. Just amazing performances in my opinion -- completely divesting Haydn of any hint of the loveable witty uncle. With Ranki, he's more like your slightly dangerous, slightly frightening, completely unpredictable distant cousin.

There's a hint of what Ranki does in Fazil Say's recording maybe -- only a hint though. And I hear it in Yudina and maybe Weissenberg-- but they only recorded a couple of pieces each, if that.  You do sometimes hear this approach in the symphonies -- I would say in Scherchen (80, 88, 93, 94)  sometimes and in Rosbaud's 104.

I haven't found anyone who plays the trios or quartets like that. Yet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2009, 01:57:55 AM
What Ranki does is suddenly take the music on intense bursts of manic energy. Just amazing performances in my opinion -- completely divesting Haydn of any hint of the loveable witty uncle. With Ranki, he's more like your slightly dangerous, slightly frightening, completely unpredictable distant cousin.

Yeah, but that's Beethoven, no my dear friend Joseph Haydn.  :D

Mandryka

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 28, 2009, 02:49:07 AM
Yeah, but that's Beethoven, no my dear friend Joseph Haydn.  :D

LOL -- but there's a serious response.

Later Haydn and Beethoven -- even the Eroica -- aren't so fat apart.

Maybe.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Gabriel

Brendel's Haydn is extraordinary. I have the original set and, in modern piano, it is my favourite recording of those sonatas.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

What do people think of this recently re-issued Gould recording?

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach