Hyperion Label

Started by Solitary Wanderer, May 25, 2007, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Quote from: Scriptavolant on May 29, 2007, 01:03:29 PM
Really? The only reason why I keep that CD is the fascinating painting on the cover, but the music to me is a waste of time.

I have very little hyperion titles (2?), they're too expensive!

Given all their Dyads and Helios reissues, I can't take the above statement seriously.

71 dB

Quote from: Don on May 29, 2007, 01:21:08 PM
Given all their Dyads and Helios reissues, I can't take the above statement seriously.

The selection of Dyads and Helios is very limited.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

bhodges

That's why you should first check Berkshire, for titles at $6.99!  :D

(click here to see search results for "Hyperion")

--Bruce

The new erato

48 double Dyad titles and 253 Helios single discs making a toatl of nearly 350 discs, mostly of very interesting repertoire to a large degree unavailable on other labels, and in  mostly very good recordings and performances. IMO that isn't very limited. Considering the amount of duplication on many other labels, these titles are a goldmine.

Scriptavolant

Ah, Helios is an Hyperion reissue label? Didn't know that, I wasn't paying attention. Thanks.

Mark

Another vote for the Bantock discs - superb. I also recommend the two discs of Litolff that form part of the Romantic Piano Concerto series. Really terrific playing from ... Donohoe, I believe ... and cracking sound, too. ;)

As for that Holst Planets, I have my reservations. The (relatively) recent SACD version on Naxos is far better IMO: more punch in Mars, more delicate and better shaped in Venus, more atmospheric in Neptune.

SonicMan46

I'd have to agree w/ Don & Bruce - the Dyads are excellent bargins, as is their Helios label; again, linked previously, BRO offers many of these selections, including the standard Hyperion discs at great savings - I've probably purchased half or more of my Hyperion offerings from BRO - for those who have this option, check the previous posts for the links, or go HERE, and do a search on 'Hyperion or Helios' -  :D

bhodges

Quote from: Mark on May 29, 2007, 01:55:04 PM
I also recommend the two discs of Litolff that form part of the Romantic Piano Concerto series. Really terrific playing from ... Donohoe, I believe ... and cracking sound, too. ;)

I forgot about that enormous Romantic Piano Concerto series...a great achievement overall, with some marvelous, seldom-played works that should be better known.  There seem to be few duds based on the reviews I've read.  I know I keep mentioning Hamelin, but his disc with the Korngold and Marx concertos is excellent, as is his reading of the more widely known Busoni.  I hadn't checked in awhile, and the series is now 42 recordings!

--Bruce

johnQpublic

A stellar label. I have many Hyperion in my collection (but I never pay their hefty price...thanks, BRO!)

Clearly the love of Domus & Faure chamber music has been mentioned as well as chamber music of Bridge and the Litolff plus much of what Hamelin records.

One of favs that's now a Helios:

VICTORIAN CONCERT OVERTURES

Maciek

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: bhodges on May 29, 2007, 02:05:11 PM
I forgot about that enormous Romantic Piano Concerto series...a great achievement overall, with some marvelous, seldom-played works that should be better known.  There seem to be few duds based on the reviews I've read.  I know I keep mentioning Hamelin, but his disc with the Korngold and Marx concertos is excellent, as is his reading of the more widely known Busoni.  I hadn't checked in awhile, and the series is now 42 recordings!

--Bruce

Yeah, that Romantic Piano Conerto's series looks very interesting. Theres alot of composers there that I've never heard of. :)

The only thing is, if I start buying them I'll simply have to purchase the whole set of 42 volumes. ;) ;D :P
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Scriptavolant

A bit OT; I've noticed that Amazon gives the opportunity to buy used stuff (sometimes hard to trace) and cheap; now, what must a man do to buy on Amazon? Is there some particularly complex procedure?

Maciek

Given that you live in Italy all you need is a credit card. Italy is one of the few (twenty-something) countries where Amazon will mail the used stuff.

Poland is not.

Oh, don't get me started... ::)

(Just take a look at my avatar... 0:))

Maciek

uffeviking

Quote from: Scriptavolant on May 29, 2007, 04:03:23 PM
Is there some particularly complex procedure?

Not that I know of! As a seller of used discs through amazon Marketplace I can give you my side of the simple procedure: Assuming you want Mahler's 5th, which I have listed for sale, you find it at Marketplace, put it in your shopping cart. amazon notifies me of your purchase, gives me your mailing address, I ship it out the same day, first class. amazon deposits the money in my account. I assume amazon wants the money from you via PayPal, not positive though, maybe via credit card.

The only complexity I ran into is my package to you does not arrive! For some reason mailings to Italy seem to 'get lost' too often!  :(

Scriptavolant

Quote from: uffeviking on May 29, 2007, 07:54:11 PM
For some reason mailings to Italy seem to 'get lost' too often!  :(

If the delivery depends on our mail national service (poste italiane) I'm not surprized: not only it has the highest costs in whole Europe, but the quality of services is very low.

Thank you for the infos, sooner or later I'll give a try.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Octave

:blank:   :-[
Maybe time for me to get that ADHD looked at.  I really thought my forumsearch kung-fu was a little more up-to-snuff than this.

Thanks, though!  And also for mentioning that top ~6 films thread.  I will overcome my fear of listmaking and dive in.
I might also venture some favorites from this label, later this week.

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

North Star

Here are some favourites (in addition to Hamelin's DSCH PCs already mentioned)

These I don't own, but sure wish I did:

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: Octave on March 12, 2014, 06:28:57 AM
:blank:   :-[
Maybe time for me to get that ADHD looked at.

Thanks, though!  And also for mentioning that top ~6 films thread.  I will overcome my fear of listmaking and dive in.
I might venture some favorites from this label, later this week.
The good thing about lists is that you can always make another one ;)
And you can always make it a top 10 or top 20, and nobody ought to mind.

My photographs on Flickr

listener

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1016&vw=dc
A good reminder of things overlooked, and the quantity discount applies to the whole order when you top up from the regular catalogue too.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."