Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunar22

the ones most influenced by Janacek are choral, both settings of fairy tales and sacred works among others. But my biggest output is symphonies and chamber music, esp. string quartets.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: lunar22 on June 20, 2023, 12:13:25 PMthe ones most influenced by Janacek are choral, both settings of fairy tales and sacred works among others. But my biggest output is symphonies and chamber music, esp. string quartets.
Have you composed a number of works?  Sounds like it!  Have you been able to have many of them performed?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2022, 03:27:16 AMDoes anyone have the booklet? Is it interesting? It's streaming everywhere, by the way.

I caught up with this disc belatedly. Amazing to hear the original versions of the 4ets for the first time. Some passages are strikingly different.

As for the Overgrown Path transcriptions, I liked them a lot. If I hadn't heard the piano originals I might have thought these transcriptions were an original work for SQ.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

lunar22

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 21, 2023, 10:42:57 AMHave you composed a number of works?  Sounds like it!  Have you been able to have many of them performed?
well, my opus list is currently 68. Only a couple of chamber works were recently performed by more or less professionals. The chance of any of the orchestral works being done is virtually zero of course as I'm outside the musical establishment, even if some of the works merited it which may not be the case. We all know that symphonic works by contemporary composers virtually never make it to the concert hall.

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, I listened to some of the tracks of that quartet version of Janacek's "On an Overgrown Path" with the Quartetto Energie Nove (was going to listen to all of it, but youtube has a mind of its own re order of tracks!).  One of the ones that I listened to was "The Barn Owl Has Not Flown Away!"--which is one of my favorites.  Prefaced by Nos. 1-3.  My thoughts:  pretty, but lacks immediacy.  Didn't feel like it had the nuances and great interpretative playing that I love in my Firkusny recording--maybe this is due in part to the switch from piano to string quartet?  In any event, it just didn't have the impact on me that the piano version has.  :(

PD

p.s.  If interested in listening to it, it's been uploaded by Naxos of America on YT.
Pohjolas Daughter

lunar22

I heard this a while ago and although it's interesting, I don't find it captures the intimacy never mind the tragedy of the original. I also find Firkusny definitive here in what's my favourite piano work by any composer-- most non-Czech pianists I've heard don't entirely seem to get it.