James MacMillan

Started by Maciek, February 06, 2009, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 06, 2021, 04:07:41 AM
I can't help but note comparisons in the overall structure to Messiaen's La Transfiguration. Two parts of seven movements each, although the Messiaen runs gospel-2 meditations-gospel-2 meditations-chorale for each of its two Septenaries so it's not the symmetry of the MacMillan.
Interesting point. He has his own style, although at times I noted the possible influence of Britten, Ives and Janacek.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2021, 04:30:33 AM
Interesting point. He has his own style, although at times I noted the possible influence of Britten, Ives and Janacek.

I also sense a little bit of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies in his music.  At least some of the earlier music like Confessions of Isobel Gowdie.  A very fine composer of consistency and depth. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on December 06, 2021, 06:12:28 AM
I also sense a little bit of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies in his music.  At least some of the earlier music like Confessions of Isobel Gowdie.  A very fine composer of consistency and depth.
I agree - although I don't know much Maxwell Davies. I think that MacMillan is a most interesting composer of 'musical modernism with a soul'!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on December 06, 2021, 06:12:28 AM

I can see that. I've spent a lot of time with PMD over the last few months, and what I've heard of MacMillan today has some resonance, to me at least. Less challenging than PMD, I think, though.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

relm1

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 07, 2021, 07:24:58 AM
I can see that. I've spent a lot of time with PMD over the last few months, and what I've heard of MacMillan today has some resonance, to me at least. Less challenging than PMD, I think, though.

Very much agree.  I recall PMD spoke highly of MacMillan to me in late 1990's.  I think at that time, JM was the next big thing, but I recall PMD saying he was impressed with his music and productivity in how he kept turning out major works.   Sadly, I didn't ask further or what works specifically he was referring to as I wasn't familiar enough with MacMillan at that time and Ades was the new "it" composer as Asyla had just premiered.  This was at the time that PMD was premiering "A Reel of Seven Fisherman" which was old fashioned by comparison.  I believe it even ended with a triad.  :laugh:

vandermolen

I had an interesting afternoon. The Catholic school (High School) where I teach is 150 years old this year. To commemorate this anniversary the school commissioned Sir James MacMillan to write a work (chorus and organ) which is a setting of a prayer written by the school's founder. The Head of Music has had some contact with the composer before. Today was the World Premiere Performance in the school chapel (built out of a medieval palace of the Archbishop of Canterbury). Sir James was supposed to be there but disappointingly pulled out at the last minute. There was however a video link-up so Sir James appeared on screen before the Mass answering some questions. However, the combination of his Scottish accent and a poor audio-visual link meant that what he said was more or less unintelligible. Nevertheless the work was very good and very moving in places. It is called 'Let us love one another' (1921). I had heard it being rehearsed over the past couple of weeks and I knew that it would be impressive. As soon as I receive a link from the Head of Music I will, with his permission, post it here.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2022, 12:44:46 PM
I had an interesting afternoon. The Catholic school (High School) where I teach is 150 years old this year. To commemorate this anniversary the school commissioned Sir James MacMillan to write a work (chorus and organ) which is a setting of a prayer written by the school's founder. The Head of Music has had some contact with the composer before. Today was the World Premiere Performance in the school chapel (built out of a medieval palace of the Archbishop of Canterbury). Sir James was supposed to be there but disappointingly pulled out at the last minute. There was however a video link-up so Sir James appeared on screen before the Mass answering some questions. However, the combination of his Scottish accent and a poor audio-visual link meant that what he said was more or less unintelligible. Nevertheless the work was very good and very moving in places. It is called 'Let us love one another' (1921). I had heard it being rehearsed over the past couple of weeks and I knew that it would be impressive. As soon as I receive a link from the Head of Music I will, with his permission, post it here.

That's very cool!  Also so interesting you teach at a 150 year old school.  What do you teach? 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 18, 2022, 03:47:55 PM
That's very cool!  Also so interesting you teach at a 150 year old school.  What do you teach?
I teach History of Art to year 12 and 13 (16-18 year olds) and History to Year 8 (12/13 year olds). I'm also a school counsellor (as in therapy type of counselling). This is a part-time job (usually three day's a week) which I have had since retiring from full-time teaching in 2015. By background I'm a History teacher.
Here's the chapel (originally part of the hall of the medieval palace where Elizabeth 1st once apparently visited). It is where the James MacMillan work was performed:

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2022, 10:15:06 PM
I teach History of Art to year 12 and 13 (16-18 year olds) and History to Year 8 (12/13 year olds). I'm also a school counsellor (as in therapy type of counselling). This is a part-time job (usually three day's a week) which I have had since retiring from full-time teaching in 2015. By background I'm a History teacher.
Here's the chapel (originally part of the hall of the medieval palace where Elizabeth 1st once apparently visited). It is where the James MacMillan work was performed:
Splendid!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

relm1

That's fascinating!  I'm a history buff especially ancient history.  You have a very interesting life and have met amazing people, attended wonderful concerts in throughout your life.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 19, 2022, 05:13:43 AM
That's fascinating!  I'm a history buff especially ancient history.  You have a very interesting life and have met amazing people, attended wonderful concerts in throughout your life.
Kind of you to say that Karim although I'm inclined to agree with George Orwell who said that '"A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats."  8)
I should point out that I have never met James MacMillan, although I was in his presence when the Head of Music, at the school where I work, was talking to him at the London premiere of his 5th symphony. I had hoped to meet him when he visited the school last Saturday but, unfortunately, he pulled out at the last minute. Whilst at university I was in the presence of Lutoslawski while some of the music students were talking to him (I doubt if I knew any of his music at the time). Other than that the most interesting well-known person I met was Christopher Lee the Dracula/LOTR actor who was very kind to me as a 12 year old (at the height of my horror film craze) when I met him at a charity golf tournament (he let me talk to him for ages, allowed me to take his photo, and then sent me a thank you letter when I sent him a copy of the photo). I had an interesting correspondence over the years with Ursula Vaughan Williams and received nice replies to my unsolicited-fan letters from Vagn Holmboe (whom Christo of this forum knew quite well), David Diamond, John Kinsella, George Lloyd and one or two others. My good friend from my teacher training course, Robert Goddard is a well-known writer of novels but that's about it I think. I've taught a couple of girls who became well-known actors and met Maria Ewing the opera singer at a parent's meeting as I taught her daughter. Yes, I have attended many great concerts (Horensein conducting Bruckner's 8th Symphony, Boult conducting VW, Copland conducting Roy Harris's 3rd Symphony etc) but I'm sure that's true of many people here. I was lucky to be born and brought up in central London, within walking distance from the Albert Hall. I'm glad you like History - teaching that subject has been very rewarding and I have enjoyed that part of my life greatly.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

That's a fascinating area, Jeffrey. I like art history. I have several books about (Western) art history and architectural history and I love them.  Maybe I should look for dvds of art history as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 20, 2022, 06:20:30 AM
That's a fascinating area, Jeffrey. I like art history. I have several books about (Western) art history and architectural history and I love them.  Maybe I should look for dvds of art history as well.
OT
Oh, there are lots of good History of Art series on DVD Manabu (I like 'The Power of Art' for example) but I'm aware that it might not be compatible for all regions. I'm sure that you'd enjoy it though. As a result of really liking the music for the episode on J M W Turner I got in contact with the composer of the accompanying music (Niraj Chag) who is a very nice young composer. His album 'Mud Doll' is one of my favourite non-classical CDs. Even my wife likes it  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2022, 06:57:21 AM
OT
Oh, there are lots of good History of Art series on DVD Manabu (I like 'The Power of Art' for example) but I'm aware that it might not be compatible for all regions. I'm sure that you'd enjoy it though. As a result of really liking the music for the episode on J M W Turner I got in contact with the composer of the accompanying music (Niraj Chag) who is a very nice young composer. His album 'Mud Doll' is one of my favourite non-classical CDs. Even my wife likes it  ;D

I will look for the Power of Art. I have been thinking about auditing art history/appreciation classes at my university. I am certain that you had a wonderful time teaching the relevant courses in the area. There must be a lot of exciting topics and issues.

vandermolen

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on June 19, 2022, 11:07:58 PM
Kind of you to say that Karim although I'm inclined to agree with George Orwell who said that '"A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats."  8)
I should point out that I have never met James MacMillan, although I was in his presence when the Head of Music, at the school where I work, was talking to him at the London premiere of his 5th symphony. I had hoped to meet him when he visited the school last Saturday but, unfortunately, he pulled out at the last minute. Whilst at university I was in the presence of Lutoslawski while some of the music students were talking to him (I doubt if I knew any of his music at the time). Other than that the most interesting well-known person I met was Christopher Lee the Dracula/LOTR actor who was very kind to me as a 12 year old (at the height of my horror film craze) when I met him at a charity golf tournament (he let me talk to him for ages, allowed me to take his photo, and then sent me a thank you letter when I sent him a copy of the photo). I had an interesting correspondence over the years with Ursula Vaughan Williams and received nice replies to my unsolicited-fan letters from Vagn Holmboe (whom Christo of this forum knew quite well), David Diamond, John Kinsella, George Lloyd and one or two others. My good friend from my teacher training course, Robert Goddard is a well-known writer of novels but that's about it I think. I've taught a couple of girls who became well-known actors and met Maria Ewing the opera singer at a parent's meeting as I taught her daughter. Yes, I have attended many great concerts (Horensein conducting Bruckner's 8th Symphony, Boult conducting VW, Copland conducting Roy Harris's 3rd Symphony etc) but I'm sure that's true of many people here. I was lucky to be born and brought up in central London, within walking distance from the Albert Hall. I'm glad you like History - teaching that subject has been very rewarding and I have enjoyed that part of my life greatly.

Tangentially ... oh, was that Christopher Lee playing Saruman, and I am only now connecting those dots?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 20, 2022, 04:47:55 PM
The link doesn't work for me either.  Is anyone else able to forward it?
Sorry about that guys. I'll see what I can do.

PS I tried to use the 'insert hyperlink' feature but it says that the file is too big.
The recording is about 7 minutes.