James MacMillan

Started by Maciek, February 06, 2009, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Yes, I did very much enjoy the premiere of Symphony No. 4, although I've yet to get around to picking up that recording.

I read something about a Fifth Symphony which could be on the way before this, MacMillan's 60th birthday year, is out.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 27, 2019, 07:04:40 AM
Yes, I did very much enjoy the premiere of Symphony No. 4, although I've yet to get around to picking up that recording.

I read something about a Fifth Symphony which could be on the way before this, MacMillan's 60th birthday year, is out.

Interesting to hear about a forthcoming 5th Symphony. Thanks.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2019, 05:57:58 AM
The Head of Music at the school where I work lent me this. I know very little of Macmillan's music although I was very impressed with his 'St Anne's Mass' which was performed in the school's medieval chapel (there is no CD). He lent me this CD and I have been very impressed with Symphony 4 - a gripping work which I wanted to repeat as soon as I'd heard it:

Damn, this was a fantastic disc.  The No. 4 was wonderful.  It had such a nice blend of modality, modernism, nobility, drama, tenderness.  More please. 

Maestro267

We have some more details about the premiere of MacMillan's Symphony No. 5 (subtitled "Le grand inconnu"). Due to be premiered on Saturday 17th August in Edinburgh's Usher Hall as part of the Edinburgh International Festival, with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra joined by the choirs The Sixteen and Genesis Sixteen, conducted by Harry Christophers.

https://www.sco.org.uk/whats-on/1643-eif-2019-macmillan-symphony-no-5

bhodges

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 14, 2019, 07:23:52 AM
We have some more details about the premiere of MacMillan's Symphony No. 5 (subtitled "Le grand inconnu"). Due to be premiered on Saturday 17th August in Edinburgh's Usher Hall as part of the Edinburgh International Festival, with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra joined by the choirs The Sixteen and Genesis Sixteen, conducted by Harry Christophers.

https://www.sco.org.uk/whats-on/1643-eif-2019-macmillan-symphony-no-5

Thanks for this info! I have been away from this thread for awhile, and this is great news to return to.

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on March 29, 2019, 04:47:24 PM
Damn, this was a fantastic disc.  The No. 4 was wonderful.  It had such a nice blend of modality, modernism, nobility, drama, tenderness.  More please.
+1
Very well put!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

First, the main reason why I'm posting in this thread. I'm listening to MacMillan's St. John Passion, a marvellous work imo. I realise, while listening to this, that MacMillan has set the Passion story, in whole or in part, at least five times. We have the two outright Passion settings of John and Luke, then before those there is the orchestral triptych Triduum, comprising The World's Ransoming, the Cello Concerto and the Symphony No. 1, "Vigil". Before those, we have the Seven Last Words from the Cross, and most recently of all, the Stabat Mater.

Second, a new recording is coming out shortly, of the Symphony No. 5 ("Le grand Inconnu") and The Sun Danced.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MacMillan-Symphony-Sinfonia-Christophers-COR16179/dp/B084WP2QCP/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=james+macmillan+symphony&qid=1585342599&s=music&sr=1-2

vandermolen

I went to the Premiere or at least the London Premiere of Symphony No.5. I thought it was excellent.

Symphonic Addict

Just heard his 4th Symphony (the Hyperion recording), and I must say it's a towering piece of music, quite probably one of my favorite symphonies of the 21st century. There are aggresive passages that blend with others more "spiritual" quite well. It has a sort of "transcendent" feel to it that gave me goosebumps. The 2nd half of the symphony contains the best music. A formidable discovery altogether.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 12, 2021, 03:19:55 PM
Just heard his 4th Symphony (the Hyperion recording), and I must say it's a towering piece of music, quite probably one of my favorite symphonies of the 21st century. There are aggresive passages that blend with others more "spiritual" quite well. It has a sort of "transcendent" feel to it that gave me goosebumps. The 2nd half of the symphony contains the best music. A formidable discovery altogether.

Agreed, and I think the very recent 5th Symphony may be even greater. It begins rather unpromisingly with the chorus making various sound effects but eventually becomes a work of ecstatic and visionary transcendent power. MacMillan knows how to write music that is equal parts challenging and accessible.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on April 14, 2021, 04:03:13 PM
Agreed, and I think the very recent 5th Symphony may be even greater. It begins rather unpromisingly with the chorus making various sound effects but eventually becomes a work of ecstatic and visionary transcendent power. MacMillan knows how to write music that is equal parts challenging and accessible.

Now you piqued my curiosity, Kyle. Sounds like a must-hear.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 17, 2021, 02:58:05 PM
Now you piqued my curiosity, Kyle. Sounds like a must-hear.
I agree with Kyle and was fortunate to be invited by a musical colleague to see the 5th Symphony performed in London.

Symphonic Addict

Yesterday MacMillan's 5th Symphony was being played here and I concur with you guys, it's a superb composition that doesn't leave indifferent to anyone who wants to give it a try. MacMillan used human voices for great effect, which provide a rich canvas of sonorities and mysticism. There are moments of sheer exaltation and solemnity interwoven imaginatively. Both 4th and 5th symphonies have been major finds for me lately.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Another thanks to those of you who are enthusiastically recommending the 4th and 5th symphonies. I've heard a good bit of MacMillan's work, but the symphonies not so much. You are whetting my appetite.

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on April 19, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Another thanks to those of you who are enthusiastically recommending the 4th and 5th symphonies. I've heard a good bit of MacMillan's work, but the symphonies not so much. You are whetting my appetite.

--Bruce

I don't have doubts about considering them some of the most striking symphonies of the 21st century. You could find great enjoyment on them.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 19, 2021, 04:33:54 PM
I don't have doubts about considering them some of the most striking symphonies of the 21st century. You could find great enjoyment on them.

High praise! I've heard more of his choral music than anything else. An expert choir called The Crossing (based in Philadelphia) has been a big champion of his works. A few years ago they did his Te Deum, for choir and organ -- heavens, what a scary (and great) piece. His religious faith is clearly a very intense thing.

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on April 19, 2021, 04:43:55 PM
High praise! I've heard more of his choral music than anything else. An expert choir called The Crossing (based in Philadelphia) has been a big champion of his works. A few years ago they did his Te Deum, for choir and organ -- heavens, what a scary (and great) piece. His religious faith is clearly a very intense thing.

--Bruce
Although not Catholic myself I teach at a Catholic school and the young Head of Music is a great admirer of the composer and sent some time talking to him after the concert (that he kindly invited me to attend) in London featuring the 5th Symphony. He has corresponded with him over various musical matters. The composer appeared very nice and welcoming to talk with.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 19, 2021, 11:36:07 AM
Yesterday MacMillan's 5th Symphony was being played here and I concur with you guys, it's a superb composition that doesn't leave indifferent to anyone who wants to give it a try. MacMillan used human voices for great effect, which provide a rich canvas of sonorities and mysticism. There are moments of sheer exaltation and solemnity interwoven imaginatively. Both 4th and 5th symphonies have been major finds for me lately.

Glad to hear you and Jeffrey agree with me about the 5th Symphony. It's proof that great symphonies are still being written! It's one of the most impressive works from this century that I've encountered, symphonic or otherwise. I really admire that while MacMillan has a totally individual voice, he never abandons tradition.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on April 19, 2021, 04:43:55 PM

--Bruce

I can feel that. It adds an extra element to the compositions.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on April 20, 2021, 06:47:45 AM
Glad to hear you and Jeffrey agree with me about the 5th Symphony. It's proof that great symphonies are still being written! It's one of the most impressive works from this century that I've encountered, symphonic or otherwise. I really admire that while MacMillan has a totally individual voice, he never abandons tradition.

Totally agreed, Kyle, and long live symphonies!!!

Noam Chomsky