No. 5
12 (24.5%)
No. 6 'Pathetique'
22 (44.9%)
'Manfred' Symphony
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Mark

For a long time, I've told myself that either Tchaikovsky's No. 4 or his No. 6 'Pathetique' was my favourite. Then I listened again (and a lot) to his No. 5. It charms me in ways not so obvious as the other two, so I'm now convinced it's my favourite.

What would you say was your favourite? And if you feel like it, why?

Bogey

For myself Mark, it's his Manfred Symphony, Op. 58.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

After the Manfred, I would go with No. 6.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

not edward

I'll be a Manfred voter, though 4 and 6 are also great contenders.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Bogey

Quote from: edward on May 25, 2007, 02:53:46 PM
I'll be a Manfred.....

Which recording of this tops your list Edward?

not edward

Quote from: Bogey on May 25, 2007, 02:55:16 PM
Which recording of this tops your list Edward?
You know, I don't really know.

I've had (and enjoyed) both Jansons and Svetlanov, but there are so many I've not heard....
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

Israfel the Black

1. Sixth Symphony
2. Fourth Symphony
3. First Symphony
4. Manfred Symphony
5. Fifth Symphony

hornteacher

Love #4 the most.  The brassy opening, the pizz third movement, the finale at breakneck speed.  Great stuff.

Black Knight

My favourite is the 5th symphony, even though I was really tempted to pick the second symphony on the poll, just because it is SO underrated.

Bonehelm

The 6th, bar none. It's so saddening I almost feel like Tchaikovsky has personally pulled my heart out from my  rib cage (is the heart even in the ribcage?).

Bogey

Quote from: edward on May 25, 2007, 02:55:59 PM
You know, I don't really know.

I've had (and enjoyed) both Jansons and Svetlanov, but there are so many I've not heard....

There is a Michael Tilson Thomas with the LSO out there that I would love to hear, but it is packaged on a $45 dollar set. :-\

Mark

The BPO/Karajan set is the only one I own, although I have a few scattered recordings of some of the symphonies on other discs. I didn't respond to the Karajan 'sound' at first, but I've really warmed to it. If you like the Fourth Symphony, you'll probably like the way he drives it.

Brian

The Second. And the Fourth. And the Fifth. And the Sixth.

Oops!  ;D 

I can't decide between the final three ... aachggh!!

not edward

I predict that the Third will get fewest votes. ;)

Mark G. Simon

I must confess I'm a Manfred man (doo wah diddy diddy)

I think the 6th symphony is his greatest, but I still have a soft spot for op. 58.

Lilas Pastia

My favourite is # 1 ;D, but I readily acknowledge I consider 6 and Manfred his greatest works in the genre :D.
I like 4 and 2 :), tolerate 5 and can live without 3 :P.

His Orchestral Suites contain excellent music.

DetUudslukkelige

Tchaikovsky's 4th will always have its special place with me, because it was after hearing a preformance of this work that I started seriously collecting classical music. Were it not for this fact, it might be 1, 5, 6 or Manfred, but as it is, the 4th holds a place in my heart that none of the others can touch.
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther

val

Que

The Manfred symphony, without hesitation.
And I'm glad that it's mentioned so often here - I always have the feeling it enjoys less proliferation than the "numbered" symphonies.

Q

Harry

I love the first Symphony, and then in this order, 2,3,4,5,6.
Then comes Manfred No.7! ;D