Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Lately, I've been enjoying the symphonies of Ib Nørholm.  He composed 13 symphonies, the first half are relatively traditional and later half explore serialism.  They are generally dark and tense but concise.  Here is the 9th symphony.

DaveF

Quote from: relm1 on May 10, 2024, 05:42:13 AMLately, I've been enjoying the symphonies of Ib Nørholm.  He composed 13 symphonies, the first half are relatively traditional and later half explore serialism.  They are generally dark and tense but concise.  Here is the 9th symphony.
Yes, I like that, thanks.  I think Nørholm has passed me by because in my fuddled brain he got confused with Nørgård - inexcusable really, as I know Per Nørgård's symphonies quite well.  So more listening needed >:D.  Two facts about his chronology that appeal to me - he and Nielsen only overlapped by a few months, and his symphonies began to appear roughly when I was born.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on May 10, 2024, 05:42:13 AMLately, I've been enjoying the symphonies of Ib Nørholm.  He composed 13 symphonies, the first half are relatively traditional and later half explore serialism.  They are generally dark and tense but concise.  Here is the 9th symphony.

Nørholm works for me 👍 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2024, 04:02:53 PMThis opera is simply glorious from the very beginning! The inexhaustible genius of this gentleman is something to marvel at since it was one of his last works and the inspiration never lessened. Besides the distinctive and melodious Czech sound that soaks his style, there are some noteworthy touches of Wagner here and there to provide extra drama when needed. Two orchestral numbers or movements I found highly wonderful: Dance of Hell and the Overture (Polonaise) to the act III. Above all the latter delighted me a lot, it's a miniature masterpiece I dare to say. I don't doubt that his other operas are in a similar level of greatness.

This opera is definitely something I need to hear! Dvorak's Rusalka and Dimitrij are glorious works which are two of my favorite operas that I've ever heard, and I wonder why all of his operas except for Rusalka are so little-known...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 12, 2024, 01:14:08 PMThis opera is definitely something I need to hear! Dvorak's Rusalka and Dimitrij are glorious works which are two of my favorite operas that I've ever heard, and I wonder why all of his operas except for Rusalka are so little-known...

Not sure about the answer to that, but they definitely deserve much more exposure given how consistently masterful Dvorak was.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on May 12, 2024, 01:14:08 PMThis opera is definitely something I need to hear! Dvorak's Rusalka and Dimitrij are glorious works which are two of my favorite operas that I've ever heard, and I wonder why all of his operas except for Rusalka are so little-known...

No matter how musically appealing I think there is a sense that "nationalist" operas don't travel outside of their home country.  Bartered Bride is a rare example.

Brian

Sometimes (in rather high-energy moods) I think I could just listen to Debussy's orchestral "Fêtes" over and over all week.

Uhor

Iota