Author Topic: What TV series are you currently watching?  (Read 229130 times)

Offline Old San Antone

Re: What TV series are you currently watching?
« Reply #2240 on: March 31, 2021, 04:21:51 PM »
Watched the entire first season of City On A Hill starring Kevin Bacon, and thought it was pretty good.  Season 2 began last Sunday and will add an episode each week. 

To fill up the time between new episoades I started re-watching NYPD Blue.  This show is such a classic, the first season and a half, until David Caruso leaves, is some of the best police procedural I've ever seen.  It continues to be fine but after Kim Delaney joins the cast it begins to become too much of a soap opera.  Of course the real star is Dennis Franz as Andy Sipowitz. 

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2241 on: April 01, 2021, 03:12:00 AM »
BBC did broadcast another powerful documentary this week, Finding Jack Charlton. Putting in parallel his and people's memories of his coaching of the Irish national team against his growing dementia settling in his latter years. Another emotional one. Worth the hour and a half of your time.
Thanks Olivier - I noticed that was on and will be watching in due course. I always thought that Jack seemed a rather more likeable individual that Bobby.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #2242 on: April 01, 2021, 03:18:56 AM »
Thanks Olivier - I noticed that was on and will be watching in due course. I always thought that Jack seemed a rather more likeable individual that Bobby.

It would seem that way, Jack seemed really at ease with any type of crowds. I was not aware they had had a serious fallout between them, it is broached a bit in the documentary but you only see Bobby through some archive footage.
Olivier

Offline DavidW

« Reply #2243 on: April 01, 2021, 05:46:18 AM »
I watched a documentary on HBO Max about the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship.  I didn't learn anything new but it is worth watching from the perspective of the passengers and the crew.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2244 on: April 01, 2021, 04:21:15 PM »

second viewing of this six parter, superbly written and with a dream cast

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2245 on: April 02, 2021, 03:56:42 AM »
It would seem that way, Jack seemed really at ease with any type of crowds. I was not aware they had had a serious fallout between them, it is broached a bit in the documentary but you only see Bobby through some archive footage.
I watched Part 3 of 'Football's Darkest Secret' last night - was just as moving as Part 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #2246 on: April 02, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »

(why is Magdalene College pronounced "maudlin"?)
A new one to me this week was finding out Cambridge has a college and street called Bene't with that spelling and pronunciation - it used to be Benedict but people were too lazy to say the full name.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2247 on: April 02, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »

I'm still watching the French series Murder In... and the Israeli series Valley Of Tears. Next up will be Deutschland 83 and the second season of the alternative history For All Mankind.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #2248 on: April 09, 2021, 05:05:02 AM »

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2249 on: April 15, 2021, 08:45:33 AM »

Last night I re-re-watched The Caesars, which covers much of the same history as I, Claudius but as written by Philip Mackie has a decidedly intellectual bent. Tiberius is given something like a philosophy of governance and his astrological fatalism is explored.

The series is dominated by sensational performances by Andre Morell as Tiberius, Freddie Jones as Claudius, and the perfectly cast Ralph Bates as Caligula.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #2250 on: April 15, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »
     Last night I re-re-watched The Caesars, which covers much of the same history as I, Claudius but as written by Philip Mackie has a decidedly intellectual bent. Tiberius is given something like a philosophy of governance and his astrological fatalism is explored.

The series is dominated by sensational performances by Andre Morell as Tiberius, Freddie Jones as Claudius, and the perfectly cast Ralph Bates as Caligula.

Where did you watch this?  DVD?

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2251 on: April 15, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
Where did you watch this?  DVD?

Yes, and it's in B&W. These color stills were included on the disc.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #2252 on: April 18, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
Murdoch Mysteries - still watching this show - now on Season 10 and enjoying - George has become quite a character!

NCIS - Season 18 - just purchased last night on Amazon Prime Video (11 episodes listed + a bonus one - not sure if more will be added?) - we've been watching this show from the start - the characters are looking older (David McCallum is now 87 y/o!).  Dave :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2253 on: April 18, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »
Murdoch Mysteries - still watching this show - now on Season 10 and enjoying - George has become quite a character!

NCIS - Season 18 - just purchased last night on Amazon Prime Video (11 episodes listed + a bonus one - not sure if more will be added?) - we've been watching this show from the start - the characters are looking older (David McCallum is now 87 y/o!).  Dave :)

Indeed, George’s part has acquired a lot of depth. He often gets to be the ‘human interest’ centre of the plot.