Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2023, 12:28:37 PMIt was on in the evening over here - when we got back from hiking/visiting places.
O.k., so glad that you weren't using your time away on a sunny day to watch tennis.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

A bit of interesting news:  Novak has decided to pass on competing at the Roger's Cup (a 1,000 event in Canada) citing fatigue.  Next event that he will play at is the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati, OH.  Think that that one starts on Aug. 14th.  Carlitos, meanwhile, will be defending the points that he won last year in Canada and hoping to add to them...and then will be heading on to Cinci.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Anyone here watching any of the tennis from the US Open?

There's currently a very good match between Dimitrov and Murray.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Well, l was rooting for Andy. I hope he decides to return next year.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 01, 2023, 04:00:51 AMWell, l was rooting for Andy. I hope he decides to return next year.
I was too.  Still it was good to see Grigor back playing a high level of tennis.  His is a very elegant style which is enjoyable to watch.  A good match by both; I particularly enjoyed the first few games of the first set.  Loved to see how they clicked rackets in passing after some remarkable shots on both ends including the amazing get by Andy to finish the point.  Love to see good sportsmanship.  :)

Some big upsets on the men's side early on:  Tsitsipas is out along with Ruud.  On the women's side, I did notice that Wozniacki, who decided to return to tennis after (I believe) being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, took out Kvitova and is now into round 3.

Sad to see that John Isner is now retiring.  Jack Sock (with whom he played doubles and had a good run in that area) is retiring too--but moving on to pickle ball.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pretty amazing that Novak D. now has won 24 grand slams.  Must admit (and nothing against Danil M.), but I was hoping that the final would have been between Novak and Carlitos A. as Carlitos has a much larger set of tools (as in skills) at his disposal and thought that this would make for a more competitive final.

Delighted for Coco G. to have won her first final--and at such a young age too.  She's the first teenager to have won it since Serena W. did.

Did anyone else here watch any of the tennis finals?  If so, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I've managed to watch some of the matches from Indian Wells (a 1000 event).  Yesterday, there was something that I hadn't seen before:  a bee swarm which stopped the match between Alcaraz and Zverev for almost two hours!  This guy was a hero (including safely rescuing the bees and releasing them into--from what I understand--hives that he has).  Amazed that he wasn't wearing any kind of protective suit!

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/beekeeper-gets-alcaraz-zverev-back-on-court-in-indian-wells

PD
Pohjolas Daughter