Technical help needed

Started by Luke, April 03, 2024, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

I just posted this question on my composer's thread, but figured it might get more of a viewing here.

When the editor of my book on composers/inspiration/British landscape opens the file on his computer he sees odd blue boxes around random parts of the text, as in the screenshot below. He needs me to fix whatever is causing them in the original file before we can progress further, but as they don't appear to me, and as I don't know what they are, I am a bit stumped. Does anyone have a clue what they are and how to shift them?

cheers everyone - sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (mods please move it if so)

Mapman

It seems that whatever software you are using is displaying hidden characters. Here's information on how to turn that on and off in Word; there should be similar options in other software. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/show-or-hide-tab-marks-in-word-84a53213-5d02-404a-b022-09cae1a3958b

Luke

Thank you very much. When I turn on hidden characters on the file these blue boxes do not appear, though - they only appear for my editor, who I assume is au fait enough with hidden characters to have tried that solution. But I will suggest it!  I'm not sure, though, what hidden character they could be replacing? They just seem to appear at random points in the text, sometimes in the middle of a word.

Cato

Quote from: Luke on April 03, 2024, 04:14:49 PMThank you very much. When I turn on hidden characters on the file these blue boxes do not appear, though - they only appear for my editor, who I assume is au fait enough with hidden characters to have tried that solution. But I will suggest it!  I'm not sure, though, what hidden character they could be replacing? They just seem to appear at random points in the text, sometimes in the middle of a word.

Hi Luke!

Are you using Microsoft Word?

I am guessing, but if you have Microsoft Word, there is a command at the top called Review, and if you click that on toward the middle right you will see Track Changes/Tracking, and then "Reviewing Pane": it is possible that your editor has that turned on, or at least what you have shown seems to resemble Text boxes around different margins.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Spotted Horses

To get any real help you will need to specify what software you are using, what version, what operating system, what format you are saving in, etc, and if you know, what software your editor is using.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Luke

Yes, I didn't have much specific to work with!

However, he's solved the problem by opening the file in a different app and converting it. So thanks for all your suggestions - I hope it's all OK now. I'll lock this and let it die...